What was Sharrow like in the early 1970s?

Good evening * ash *

I unfortunately have no idea when Bert Eccles died.

My Dad from memory, stopped working for him in the mid fifties.

Bert Eccles had relatives at Rotherham.

I thought it might have helped jog other memories if you knew the timescale, but Hillsbro to the rescue! :)

Directories from the mid-1930s to the early 1960s show "George Berttram Eccles, master plumber" at 3 Grange Crescent. He was evidently born in Sheffield in 16 October 1883, married Harriet Webster in 1908 and died in Jan-Mar 1964.

Directories from the mid-1930s to the early 1960s show "George Berttram Eccles, master plumber" at 3 Grange Crescent. He was evidently born in Sheffield in 16 October 1883, married Harriet Webster in 1908 and died in Jan-Mar 1964.

Good morning Hillsbro, bet you are getting fed up of all this homework that folks set you.

Thanks again !!

Well, as Mrs Hillsbro says, it keeps me out of mischief... :)

Hi Sharrovian,

Trying to reply but I haven't posted enough to allow me to send a message.

---------- Post added 24-10-2016 at 18:23 ----------

Will try again now.

Hi Sharrovian,

Trying to reply but I haven't posted enough to allow me to send a message.

---------- Post added 24-10-2016 at 18:23 ----------

Will try again now.

I think you need 5 posts before PMing. You're currently on 4.

I recall the area well... my Mother and Dad 'Evelyn and George Johnson' had the 'Off licence' shop on Franklin Street /corner - Salmon Street..and we lived there into the 60s. Wasn't it 'Lovells' fish shop ? and 'Ferrie' the chemist ?...and don't forget the two pubs .. The Cross Guns and the Franklin Hotel. Then the butchers opposite the school and more local shops on Club garden Road...Good memories from times never to return.

I delivered bread for Tophams on a bakery bike....and newspapers for the Allots..my dad played the piano in the Cross Guns and I was christened in St Johns Methodist Church. Does that make me a Sharrow Lane local? I also walked the beat (21 Beat B Div) in the early 60s....discuss!

As young kids we thought the adventure playground behind the cross guns was great. The flats were new with all the walkways and binsheds where we would hide and congregate. In fact the whole complex was one big adventure to us. I still lived in a tiny victorian house not far from St Barnabas school Cecil road so the flats were out of this world to me at the time.

We also would all hang around the large buildings between Sharrow lane and Sitwell road. We became known as the Learners mob or gang due to one of the buildings previous uses. Those were great days in the early 1970s, nobody ever seemed to bother us. Sharrow was a brilliant area to be in at that time.:)

a

Oh yes I will remember The Learners well. Me and and a bunch of other lads crossed paths with The Learners mob a few times. I remember one time a mate of mine gave one of the Learners a proper leathering and a few days later we were all tracked down to another friend of mine's house. Looking back it was quite funny being under siege as I recall one lad climbing through a kitchen window - think his name was Glen - to get to us. Needless to say there were no parents around. Funny thing was we all end up mates a few weeks later. Happy days.

a

Oh yes I will remember The Learners well. Me and and a bunch of other lads crossed paths with The Learners mob a few times. I remember one time a mate of mine gave one of the Learners a proper leathering and a few days later we were all tracked down to another friend of mine's house. Looking back it was quite funny being under siege as I recall one lad climbing through a kitchen window - think his name was Glen - to get to us. Needless to say there were no parents around. Funny thing was we all end up mates a few weeks later. Happy days.

I know the Glen you mention and his brother Dave. Its been years since I seen them though. I understand they both went in the army?

I am looking for Norman Allen. Lived on Sherrington Road. Can anyone help with his whereabouts. He will be 70+ now.

I know the Glen you mention and his brother Dave. Its been years since I seen them though. I understand they both went in the army?

Yeah, Glen had a brother Dave. Think he had a Yamaha motorbike. If I’m not mistaken Glen came off it and was hurt quite badly.

I used to live in the old terrace houses on Washington Rd that have long since been pulled down. I remember, long before the health and safety regulations that construction sites had to adhere to nowadays, we used to have a great time playing on the huge building site when the flats were being built. We’d be climbing scaffolding, ladders, walls, piles of sand and bricks, and anything that looked like fun back then. I also remember Sharrow Lane School opening up it’s gates in the evenings to let local kids in to play in the school playgrounds. Those playgrounds were packed on those warm summer nights with kids of all ages playing football, right, hide and seek, marbles and anything else kids played at. A few years later and I remember venturing further away down and across London Rd to explore the derilict houses that lead down to Brammall Lane. We’d enter a boarded up house at the top of a street and work our way down through all the houses - through the lofts - looking for leftover treasures. Never did find owt worth owt but then nobody really had anything of any value back then.

And yeah your right about the Playground at the back of the Cross Guns. It was great. It had the biggest slide I’d ever seen! Then there was the game of knock and run along all those walkways you mention. Oh yes, so much more fun than playing on an Xbox. Oh listen at me, must be getting old. :)