Possible scams??

Just had a cold call to my mobile. As so few people have my mobile number ,how the hell did she access it ? The lady had a very broad Welsh accent so I could hardly tell what she was saying. I told her that it is illegal to cold call people ( don’t know whether it is ) and she was nearly in tears telling me “ I’m only doing my job ! “ I’m getting more calls each day to my mobile, but why ? :huh:

Just had a cold call to my mobile. As so few people have my mobile number ,how the hell did she access it ? The lady had a very broad Welsh accent so I could hardly tell what she was saying. I told her that it is illegal to cold call people ( don’t know whether it is ) and she was nearly in tears telling me “ I’m only doing my job ! “ I’m getting more calls each day to my mobile, but why ? :huh:

If its a private number register with TPS, a business number with CTPS. Report them if its an unsolicited sales call. Block the number if its a smart phone you have. The fines are quite hefty for repeat offenders.

My elderly mother has been recieving calls lately claiming to be from Virgin media, saying they can reduce her monthly payments etc, telling her they know her bank card number and just need her to confirm her details etc. She didnt but it really scared her. They have rung at least 4 times this wk. Ive tried reporting it on 101.......but no one answered :loopy:

These are 2 of the numbers who's been ringing..

02380 172625

02886 000411

Block them on your phones if they ring

Thanks

I had an automated call recently supposedly from talk talk telling me that they had detected a fault on my broadband service and it would crash within 24 hrs if I did not let their engineering see to it.fortunately the poor English and crackling sound was so bad it gave itself away straight away, pathetic

I have an ongoing battle with one of these companies. They are persistent to say the least. It's to do with a car crash I had a year ago.

They must have got my details from Kwikfit insurance. The company who calls know details nobody else has. During one heated exchange (I've tried everything else) the man who called knew the model of car, my age and my occupation. Nobody else would have these details.

I learned something during this call. The man bragged that he didn't hang up when there is no chance of business because he has to get some calls over 3 minutes each day. So inadvertently I was helping his quota... :rant:

In the end I tried a tactic I hadn't tried before I said I was recording the call and would be contacting the organisation that regulates the industry and making a complaint. He then hang up and hasn't rang again... dunno if that's why though...

Be wary of any phone calls that state "Your Internet will be disconnected this afternoon. Please press 1 for more information." My better half picked up the phone at the time and did not press it. It is a mobile beginning "07" - will post back full details when got off phone if registered. It is a premium rate number that will cost you the earth.

I had the "I'm calling from British Telecom about your broadband" a few days ago.

Curious how they got my number seeing as I'm ex-directory. Perhaps when I was with a different telco in the past, but that would be even weirder seeing as I would have been even more likely to know it was a scam then if I wasn't even with BT . (though I'm not for my broadband and never have been)

Hi Alex, Same here in respect of Ex-D - suspect it is Homer Simpson using an auto-dialler as the 'person' who rang had an American accent. The number everyone should block is:

There are no scams where pressing a button will somehow charge you money. Calling it back however could cost you.

How much do calls cost? 070 numbers can cost between 5p and 50p per minute if calling from a landline (and often include a call set-up fee, sometimes of up to 50p).

From a mobile phone these numbers can cost up to £1.00 per minute

On an EE mobile that particular prefix 070411 would cost 0.75p/minute.

We were scammed by a TalkTalk call, purporting that I had complained about my broadband speed and they needed to install an app on my computer. Luckily my wife smelt a rat and hung up.