The old Asda at Handsworth(Orgreave)

Did it sell petrol there like they do at the newer one at Handsworth.:huh:

Did it sell petrol there like they do at the newer one at Handsworth.:huh:

Yes. It was on the right as you went it, about 100 yards from the store entrance (but on the left as you walked out of the store)

Yes. It was on the right as you went it, about 100 yards from the store entrance (but on the left as you walked out of the store)

Cheers. Some one was on about getting their petrol there. I just cant remember it being there when the store first opened. Actually the only time I ever shopped there.

Cheers. Some one was on about getting their petrol there. I just cant remember it being there when the store first opened. Actually the only time I ever shopped there.

I was in my early 20s when it closed I think. Something like that, perhaps late teens.

I remember going for petrol in my old B-reg Fiesta though! :)

I seem to remember that the car park in front of the store was fairly large, and as you drove in, the petrol station was to your right, so left if you were stood looking out of the store. It wasn't huge certainly. There was also a second car park to the left of the store from memory.

I wonder if there are any old overhead shots on google maps....off to look!

I think the store was built first like the new one and the petrol derv was added later. Like I mentioned I cant remember it being there from the store first opening.

I think the store was built first like the new one and the petrol derv was added later. Like I mentioned I cant remember it being there from the store first opening.

I think you might be right. I remember going as a child as my parents did their shopping there and can't remember ever getting petrol there at that time. I know they had it when I could drive, but can't remember it before, so you might well be right on that.

There were a couple of scenes shot in there for The Full Monty. They were supposed to be on different days but the same extras can be seen 'shopping', lol.

There was also a tyre fitting depot underneath at the back..i had four new Michelins fitted to my Cortina ...£50 for all four... supplied/fitted/balanced......:):):)

There was also a tyre fitting depot underneath at the back..i had four new Michelins fitted to my Cortina ...£50 for all four... supplied/fitted/balanced......:):):)

I remember the tyre bay next to the Warehouse

I remember the tyre bay next to the Warehouse

Inside the store in the early seventies they used to sell stuff like car wheels. I remember a pal of mine buying one Cosmic or Cosmic style wheel a week from here.

When they built the asda that was the end of Handsworth as a village all the shops had to close now the pubs and club the traffic is bad as well the people who were born and bred there have moved