TalkTalk e-mail log in problem

Today I am having a problem with TalkTalk e-mail. When I try to get new messages a message requests to enter my password. but when I do this I still cannot log in. Is there anybody else on TT with the same issue? Thanks.:confused:

Hi, Yes I have. Now my account settings were set with TLS but my phone wasn't unless the system has been hacked - it also occurred on a PC the other day. I don't store my passwords I login manually if I can remember the password and began to doubt my memory. ;-)

Have you got 'StartTLS' in your SSL (Secure Socket Layer) enabled? It appeared I did not have that on the mobile for some reason.

Update: Something I didn't know but TT now excepts special characters in passwords:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Email-Webmail/Problems-with-your-webmail-email-username-and-password/td-p/1973281

Edited by swarfendor43

Hi Swarfendor, I am thinking it is TTs fault. I have had to sign in to the e-mail account twice now following more failures. It has been the same on all devises so it is not a password fault. It looks like a spasmodic error down to TT. I am now up and running, for the time being anyway! Thanks for your reply.:)

Youre putting wrong pass word in get some one to sort it for you and put one in you wont

forget . You can put same pasword in for more than one thing

Youre putting wrong pass word in get some one to sort it for you and put one in you wont

forget . You can put same pasword in for more than one thing

WRONG! I actually had my correct password stored on my mobile and it suddenly reported incorrect details! I don't store it on my computer/s. I always enter it manually and it is not a simple password either. I have logged in to My Account and changed the My Account/Primary Mail Account password using hieroglyphs as well as characters and numbers. Then I wanted to change my sub-account password which refused - here is the transcript of the conversation - but to summarise it is down to poor website interface design as you will understand from the transcript!:

18:09, Nov 11

Info: Please stay online whilst we transfer you to the relevant department who will be able to review today's discussion.

18:09, Nov 11

Info: You are now through to M J. How can I help you?

18:10, Nov 11

M J: Hi, I hope you're well today. Please give me a moment whilst I quickly review your conversation with my colleague.

18:11, Nov 11

J: Hi, had some issues with main account this week in terms of logging on to primary account so decided good time to change password, not aware that special characters are now permitted until I saw this: https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Email-Webmail/Problems-with-your-webmail-email-username-and-password/td-p/1973281

18:11, Nov 11

J: So I changed the password of primary account successfully but a sub account refused 'incorrect old password' yet I am logged into webmail with the 'incorrect password'!

18:12, Nov 11

M J : I understand that you're having trouble logging in to your email.

18:12, Nov 11

M J : Do not worry, I can definitely check this for you.

18:13, Nov 11

J: That resolved itself and then I thought I could have been hacked so I have changed main e-mail account. Had a lot of spam mail in sub account which could be the issue?

18:13, Nov 11

M J : I understand.

18:14, Nov 11

M J : To get started, can you confirm your full name?

J: Jxxxx xxxx

J: I don't give full name for ID Theft purposes

18:15, Nov 11

M J : That's fine. I just need the name that is stated on your account.

M J : Are you using your home TalkTalk internet connection or a mobile data (3G/4G) connection to chat to us today?

J : That should be all then

J: Network on GNU/Linux

18:16, Nov 11

M J : I understand. Are you connected to your TalkTalk home connection?

J: Yes

M J : Could you please tell me the last part of your email address, I just need you to confirm the section after the @ symbol please.

18:17, Nov 11

J: talktalk.net

M J : Is this the one that you're having trouble with?

J: all my mail addresses end with that

18:18, Nov 11

M J : Can you please confirm whether you are using TalkTalk's Webmail service, or a 3rd party email program, like Windows Mail or Outlook, when you are experiencing this problem?

18:20, Nov 11

J: I am using 'My Account' web page | Login Details - when I attempt to change the pasword on my primary sub-account it states my old password (current before changing to new one) is incorrect yet this is wrong as I have logged into Webmail using Firefox and have successfully updated 'My Account' password/primary email password without any issues!

18:21, Nov 11

M J : When you try to log in, do you get any error message aside from 'incorrect password'?

18:22, Nov 11

J: Look, I can login to 'My Account' the man issue I am having is being unable ot change the password of a sub-account email address.

J: *to

J: *main

18:23, Nov 11

M J : I understand that you're trying to change your password of your sub-account email address.

J: correct!

M J : Do you know your current email password?

18:24, Nov 11

J: Yes if we are talking about the problem account as I have stated above I am currently logged in to my webmail using the 'incorrect' old password that I want to change"

18:24, Nov 11

J: *! not "

18:25, Nov 11

M J : Can you confirm if you have an alternative browser we can try, for example Explorer or Chrome?

J: I can try Chromium

M J : Please remember to keep your existing web browser open whilst testing the alternate one.

M J : This will ensure all existing web page sessions remain open and allow you to return to them.

M J : Can you retry in the alternative browser and let me know if you're able to log in.

18:28, Nov 11

J: OK I am looged in to My Account in Chromium

18:28, Nov 11

J: *logged

18:29, Nov 11

M J : How about the email?

18:30, Nov 11

J: Thaat too is accepting the 'incorrect' password when I entered it as 'current password' in change password section!

18:31, Nov 11

J: That is I am able to login to webmail of sub account but I cannot change the password

J: for said sub-account!

J: Not tried it in Chromium yet - will attempt now

M J : Okay.

18:34, Nov 11

J: OK just spotted my error - it is asking for main My Account Password and wanting to change that - I don't want to chagn

M J : Alright.

J: change the main account but the sub-account - there is no option to do this!

18:35, Nov 11

J: Also your webmail page has issues - there are two logout 'buttons' to top right but only the bottom one is effective - the site needs updating and also use free source java script as commercial is insecure.

18:37, Nov 11

M J : Okay, we'll try to change the webmail password in MyAccount.

J: Also why is my main account email address all in CAPITALS?

J: The sub account let's be clear!

J: in respect of changing password!

M J : Could you please confirm the sub-account you're referring to?

J: xx.xxxxxxx@talktalk.net

18:38, Nov 11

J: I am registered with a lot of technical sites so I don't want ot lose this account

18:38, Nov 11

J: *to

18:40, Nov 11

M J : I will be giving you a link on how you will change the password of your sub-account in MyAccount.

18:40, Nov 11

M J : Here is the link: https://help2.talktalk.co.uk/managing-your-email-addresses-my-account#10276

18:41, Nov 11

J: OK so which link do I select on that page which I now have open in Firefox

18:42, Nov 11

M J : Kindly close the current link in Firefox and open the new one which is this: https://help2.talktalk.co.uk/managing-your-email-addresses-my-account#10276

18:43, Nov 11

J: That takes me to the same page I am having issues with and the only option available appears to be change main password this is RUBBISH!

18:46, Nov 11

M J : It is asking you for your main account password due to security but it will not change the password of your main account

18:46, Nov 11

J: OK will see what happens!

18:47, Nov 11

M J : After entering your main account password, you can now create a new password for the email of your sub-account.

J: OK this appears to have worked but the interface needs to be updated to explain this as it is confusing to anyone wanting to do this.

Hi again swarfendor, following that large, detailed, frustrating, transcript of your conversation with your internet supplier, you have my sympathies as I have had similar conversations, and I am sure many thousands have had olso, which have driven us all mad over the suggestions from them, (which we have already done before contacted them) like, do this, switch this off, unplug this, plug that back in again, wait 10 minutes etc. etc.

After all,all we want is a good, simple, reliable product which we pay for.

Sorry for the rant.

Hi again swarfendor, following that large, detailed, frustrating, transcript of your conversation with your internet supplier, you have my sympathies as I have had similar conversations, and I am sure many thousands have had olso, which have driven us all mad over the suggestions from them, (which we have already done before contacted them) like, do this, switch this off, unplug this, plug that back in again, wait 10 minutes etc. etc.

After all,all we want is a good, simple, reliable product which we pay for.

Sorry for the rant.

No need for apology yorky; spider 1 however needs to think before posting. My advice would be to change your passwords maybe once a month and certainly if situations like this occur. ;-)