Where do you keep your house deeds ?

Not wanting to be ageist - but.......

Be careful if you do have your own deeds to your property and it is not registered with the Land Registry as your deeds ARE THE ONLY EVIDENCE that you own the property. This would usually apply to a person/s who have perhaps lived in their home for a number of years, say prior to the early 1970’s. Only a change in the circumstances for the property ownership would then “trigger” a first registration.

Owners can choose to register their properties for which the Land Registry offers a 25% reduction in the registration fee.

For people with elderly parents, please encourage them to get their property registered.

For all nosey people out there (like me ?) take a look at the Land Registry maps (its free), it makes interesting viewing seeing which properties are registered and which are not.

If your property is not registered and you do have the deed, I highly recommend that you put them in safe storage somewhere other than your home - or somewhere under the floorboards as one client once told me!

Not all deeds are registered with the UK land registry. Any mortgages taken out from 1993 onwards (I think) correct me if I a wrong, will be registered so you don't need the paper deeds. Easy to check, just do the property search on UK land registry and if it is registered you will find it. Hope that makes sense.

They're all online now

No, they're not.

1. Many properties are still unregistered.

2. HMLR records are often incomplete.

3. Leases are never copied-out onto the HMLR entries.

---------- Post added 31-10-2017 at 17:21 ----------

Any mortgages taken out from 1993 onwards (I think) correct me if I a wrong, will be registered so you don't need the paper deeds.

Not quite.

But a previously-unregistered property has to be registered for the first time if it's purchased (or mortgaged by a first legal mortgage).

ALSO: be sure to use only the official HMLR website https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/land-registry

There are copycat websites that use similar names/colours/styles.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw