Sheffield Forum

The Sheffield gay scene part 2

Home > Sheffield > Going out in Sheffield

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
31-07-2017, 00:21   #1781
Mister M
Registered User
Mister M's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: In my own world
Total Posts: 9,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by birobasher View Post
I agree about the non-alcoholic thing: we need an alternative to the cliche of queer hedonism. Didn't someone start a lunch club a while ago? Cafe environments would be good too.
I think so. Do you mean the café on the Moor, which occasionally puts on theatre performances
_______
No Theresa May is better than a bad Theresa May.
  Reply With Quote
31-07-2017, 21:23   #1782
Puggie
Account Closed
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Location: right-of-centre
Total Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister M View Post
That's only if your only intent in meeting other 'rainbow people' is to have sex!
No it's social too. There's plenty of guys on Grindr who are simply looking for mates/dates/friends... I would know

It's just the way things have evolved. Facebook & the dating apps is where people are making initial contact these days.
  Reply With Quote
31-07-2017, 21:35   #1783
makapaka
Registered User
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Total Posts: 2,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggie View Post
The vast majority of venues are now welcoming of everyone irrespective of who they love. It really has become a non-issue.

Personally I find it encouraging that LGBT venues are closing down.

Society has come a long way. The days of being frogmarched out of a venue for showing affection to the same sex are long gone.
I would agree with this - surely it's a good thing that there is less separation. It's what the world needs.
  Reply With Quote
31-07-2017, 22:43   #1784
xsf7
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Total Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by makapaka View Post
I would agree with this - surely it's a good thing that there is less separation. It's what the world needs.
I think the world needs less separation - but people should be able to get-together with 'like-minded' people in a safe space. It's okay for LGBT people to have their own venues, in the same way it's okay for Muslims or Quakers or beer lovers or motorbike enthusiasts or Yummy-Mummies, or whatever. It's okay to be different. We don't have to all go to the same places for society to be accepting.
  Reply With Quote
31-07-2017, 22:48   #1785
makapaka
Registered User
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Total Posts: 2,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsf7 View Post
I think the world needs less separation - but people should be able to get-together with 'like-minded' people in a safe space. It's okay for LGBT people to have their own venues, in the same way it's okay for Muslims or Quakers or beer lovers or motorbike enthusiasts or Yummy-Mummies, or whatever. It's okay to be different. We don't have to all go to the same places for society to be accepting.
I agree with that. I can understand why people would like to be with like-minded people also.

I'm not against an LGBT bar or anything - but I don't think they're as necessary these days which is a good thing.
  Reply With Quote
31-07-2017, 22:48   #1786
Mister M
Registered User
Mister M's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: In my own world
Total Posts: 9,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggie View Post
The vast majority of venues are now welcoming of everyone irrespective of who they love. It really has become a non-issue.

Personally I find it encouraging that LGBT venues are closing down.

Society has come a long way. The days of being frogmarched out of a venue for showing affection to the same sex are long gone.
Perhaps some landlords are welcoming of LGBT people. Though I have to say I'd feel uncomfortable showing public affection to someone of my own sex in Weatherspoons of a Friday and Saturday night.
_______
No Theresa May is better than a bad Theresa May.
  Reply With Quote
01-08-2017, 10:34   #1787
avalunche
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2015
Total Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggie View Post
No it's social too. There's plenty of guys on Grindr who are simply looking for mates/dates/friends... I would know

It's just the way things have evolved. Facebook & the dating apps is where people are making initial contact these days.
Yes I have noticed that too. Looking for friends.. topless and headless pic... sexual position on profile.

Its a sex-app. I wonder how many good friends you have found on there lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister M View Post
Dempseys is fairly dirty, but in the middle of nowhere - nonsense!
Its over a 10 minute walk from West street according to google, and everything around it is closed and the area deserted at that time of night. Which is why they do a great taxi trade straight outside it! Feels totally unsafe.

Last edited by avalunche; 01-08-2017 at 10:38.
  Reply With Quote
01-08-2017, 11:36   #1788
Mister M
Registered User
Mister M's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: In my own world
Total Posts: 9,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalunche View Post
Yes I have noticed that too. Looking for friends.. topless and headless pic... sexual position on profile.

Its a sex-app. I wonder how many good friends you have found on there lol



Its over a 10 minute walk from West street according to google, and everything around it is closed and the area deserted at that time of night. Which is why they do a great taxi trade straight outside it! Feels totally unsafe.
West Street is hardly safe!
Like I said earlier, the heyday of the Gay scene in Sheffield was the late '90s early '00s - when the gay scene was up Attercliffe. That was when it was worth going up Attercliffe to see your mates.
That said, Dempseys was never the cleanest of places, & it's been allowed to deteriorate even further.
_______
No Theresa May is better than a bad Theresa May.
  Reply With Quote
03-08-2017, 19:02   #1789
Puggie
Account Closed
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Location: right-of-centre
Total Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalunche View Post
Its a sex-app. I wonder how many good friends you have found on there lol
I don't think that's fair. Not everyone on Grindr is the "NSA" type. There's plenty of guys on there that just want to make friends, new social contacts etc.

There's plenty of uni students using it as well.

I got to know one of my neighbours who lives in the same apartment block through Grindr.
  Reply With Quote
10-08-2017, 17:53   #1790
birobasher
Registered User
birobasher's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2015
Total Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister M View Post
I think so. Do you mean the café on the Moor, which occasionally puts on theatre performances
The LGBT cafe used to be there, but now they've lost the space for some reason.
  Reply With Quote
10-08-2017, 22:02   #1791
Puggie
Account Closed
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Location: right-of-centre
Total Posts: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by birobasher View Post
The LGBT cafe used to be there, but now they've lost the space for some reason.
Is that the shop that had artwork on the glass?
  Reply With Quote
17-09-2017, 21:26   #1792
birobasher
Registered User
birobasher's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2015
Total Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggie View Post
Is that the shop that had artwork on the glass?
Used to be Woolworths. Blimey, that feels like such a long time ago!

---------- Post added 17-09-2017 at 21:27 ----------

Did anyone find out what happened to the planned 'Sheffield LGBT Quarter' plans? It was on Twitter and Facebook for a while, then vanished.

---------- Post added 17-09-2017 at 21:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalunche View Post
Its over a 10 minute walk from West street according to google, and everything around it is closed and the area deserted at that time of night. Which is why they do a great taxi trade straight outside it! Feels totally unsafe.
I can't say I've ever felt unsafe at the bottom of the Moor. West Street on the other hand...
_______
BiroBasher: Enjoying cinema, art and music, one A6 notebook at a time
https://birobasher.wordpress.com
  Reply With Quote
17-09-2017, 23:20   #1793
Mister M
Registered User
Mister M's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: In my own world
Total Posts: 9,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by birobasher View Post
Used to be Woolworths. Blimey, that feels like such a long time ago!

---------- Post added 17-09-2017 at 21:27 ----------

Did anyone find out what happened to the planned 'Sheffield LGBT Quarter' plans? It was on Twitter and Facebook for a while, then vanished.

---------- Post added 17-09-2017 at 21:29 ----------



I can't say I've ever felt unsafe at the bottom of the Moor. West Street on the other hand...
There have been so many rumours about an 'LGBT Quarter' in Sheffield over the years. I'm old enough to remember when there was talk of Pond Street as a gay hub that would rival Manchester's Canal Street....
I don't know where these rumours come from....Possibly disgruntled residents of Sheffield peed off at the lack of a gay scene in Sheffield.
_______
No Theresa May is better than a bad Theresa May.
  Reply With Quote
18-09-2017, 08:24   #1794
birobasher
Registered User
birobasher's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2015
Total Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister M View Post
There have been so many rumours about an 'LGBT Quarter' in Sheffield over the years. I'm old enough to remember when there was talk of Pond Street as a gay hub that would rival Manchester's Canal Street....
I don't know where these rumours come from....Possibly disgruntled residents of Sheffield peed off at the lack of a gay scene in Sheffield.
A few months back there was a person publishing CAD drawings and plans for bars/venues at the bottom of the Moor, giving updates etc. All going swimmingly it seemed, then just vanished.
_______
BiroBasher: Enjoying cinema, art and music, one A6 notebook at a time
https://birobasher.wordpress.com
  Reply With Quote
25-10-2017, 17:24   #1795
birobasher
Registered User
birobasher's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2015
Total Posts: 149
http://www.thegayquarter.co.uk/

Back from the dead it seems, promising construction about to begin on new 'gay' (that's LGBT to you and me) bars, shop and....sauna!
_______
BiroBasher: Enjoying cinema, art and music, one A6 notebook at a time
https://birobasher.wordpress.com
  Reply With Quote
25-10-2017, 22:02   #1796
Mister M
Registered User
Mister M's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: In my own world
Total Posts: 9,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by birobasher View Post
http://www.thegayquarter.co.uk/

Back from the dead it seems, promising construction about to begin on new 'gay' (that's LGBT to you and me) bars, shop and....sauna!
Thanks for posting this biro!
I only hope that something tangible emerges from this, & is not another rumour designed to leave people disappointed.
Got to say, it'd be good if the bottom of the Moor became the new 'gay quarter'. It'd definitely help revamp the area.
_______
No Theresa May is better than a bad Theresa May.
  Reply With Quote
25-10-2017, 23:31   #1797
Puggie
Account Closed
 
Joined: Mar 2017
Location: right-of-centre
Total Posts: 779
Is it really necessary to have a "gay quarter"?

We're not an endangered species in need of our own geographic quarter!
  Reply With Quote
26-10-2017, 18:59   #1798
birobasher
Registered User
birobasher's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2015
Total Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggie View Post
Is it really necessary to have a "gay quarter"?

We're not an endangered species in need of our own geographic quarter!
If Leeds can have one, why not here?
_______
BiroBasher: Enjoying cinema, art and music, one A6 notebook at a time
https://birobasher.wordpress.com
  Reply With Quote
26-10-2017, 19:32   #1799
Mister M
Registered User
Mister M's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: In my own world
Total Posts: 9,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggie View Post
Is it really necessary to have a "gay quarter"?

We're not an endangered species in need of our own geographic quarter!
It's not necessary, just like lots of things aren't necessary, but it would improve things for lots of people.
_______
No Theresa May is better than a bad Theresa May.
  Reply With Quote
31-10-2017, 16:58   #1800
avalunche
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2015
Total Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by birobasher View Post
If Leeds can have one, why not here?
Because people in Leeds have money to spend. That's why Leeds has Harvey Nichols, Habitat, House of Frazer as well as Queen's court. Where Sheffield has none of those, it did have Habitat and HOF, but both closed down a long time ago.
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:47.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2017 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2017

Nimbus Server