Stopcock for mains water frozen

Hi,

I have a dripping cold bath tap which I wanted to change. When I tried to turn off the mains water with the stop **** under the sink it was stuck and wouldn't move. I have tried WD-40 on it several times and a spanner to try and turn it but it won't budge. We live in a hard water area so think it is scaled up. Does anybody have any tips to turn it without breaking it? I have only been in the house few months so am unsure about the location of the street stopcock and wouldn't be brave enough to turn that off.

If I can't turn it does anybody have any idea of the cost of replacing the stopcock?

Thanks in advance.

The nut where the spindle passes thru can be undone a half turn ,might free it up a bit.It only holds the gland packing so you will not get a lot of water out of it..

Depending how much water is flowing when its in the imcomplete OFF position , with a small pipecutter , fitting another tap above the existing one is an easy task..

Usually it's limescale thats clogged up the inner and there's no easy way to remove it.

Best bet is to find the street stopcock and turn that off, then have a plumber replace your internal stopcock.

Get a can of freezing spray ,use that on pipe to dripping tap if it's copper then at least you can change tap