Like Oxford, should Sheffield ban all non electric vehicles?

Originally Posted by rogets View Post

But unlike Oxford where its only a city centre exclusion wouldn't it be brave if a 4 mile exclusion zone was introduced?

From hillsbough, to woodseats, to halfway to attercliffe

All non electric vehicles banned

And this would also include hybrid cars, banned too.

This would make a bold statement to the rest of the world that sheffield takes its environmental responsibility seriously.

And that poor health will not be passed onto the next generation from the current generation

This being Sheffield they would probably make an exemption for council vehicles

No. I have no wish to drive a sodding electric car. It's just not sexy. A bit like vaping really. If you want to smoke, then smoke. Or quit. Just don't vape!!!!! :rant:

I walk nearly everywhere, take public transport when I can and only take my (petrol) car out occasionally. I'd hate to be denied that very occasional pleasure. I love my car.

And ........breathe.

Posts removed.

Please stay on topic, we already have a thread about the information at bus & tram stops.

Thank you.

In theory it is a great idea.

Battery tech is improving really quickly, infrastructure is behind but industry is quickly catching up. Lots of quick charge stations are coming to are that have lots of electric cars. Prices are still too high but they are lowering and occasionally there are stonking leaf lease deals.

An electric car produces less harmful emissions than a normal internal combustion engine car when comparing like for like no matter what the source of electricity. Obviously it would be better to run on 100% renewable, and all the dirty coal plants are getting shut or are economically unviable. All emissions released from driving an electric car go into the atmosphere but unlike petrol and diesel they do not go into the lungs of Sheffield children.

The council should be getting the easy wins now. All new taxis and private hire vehicles licensed to operate in Sheffield should be electric, with a 2 to 4 year deadline before all old ones have to be out of service.

All council vehicles and council contractor vehicles and buses should be moved over to electric in the same time period (where possible, maybe no one currently makes electric bin lorries etc).

The next easy wins are tackling parcel delivery vehicles and then hgvs entering Sheffield, possibly with a stick and carrot approach. Once all this is done and working then you tackle everyone's cars, by this time electric vehicles will probably be way cheaper to own or just catch a self driving umber lol

In theory it is a great idea.

Battery tech is improving really quickly, infrastructure is behind but industry is quickly catching up. Lots of quick charge stations are coming to are that have lots of electric cars. Prices are still too high but they are lowering and occasionally there are stonking leaf lease deals.

An electric car produces less harmful emissions than a normal internal combustion engine car when comparing like for like no matter what the source of electricity. Obviously it would be better to run on 100% renewable, and all the dirty coal plants are getting shut or are economically unviable. All emissions released from driving an electric car go into the atmosphere but unlike petrol and diesel they do not go into the lungs of Sheffield children.

The council should be getting the easy wins now. All new taxis and private hire vehicles licensed to operate in Sheffield should be electric, with a 2 to 4 year deadline before all old ones have to be out of service.

All council vehicles and council contractor vehicles and buses should be moved over to electric in the same time period (where possible, maybe no one currently makes electric bin lorries etc).

The next easy wins are tackling parcel delivery vehicles and then hgvs entering Sheffield, possibly with a stick and carrot approach. Once all this is done and working then you tackle everyone's cars, by this time electric vehicles will probably be way cheaper to own or just catch a self driving umber lol

5yrs. 10yrs. I really don"t know. but the way technology is advancing, all vehicles will be electric in the near future.

Cars are very 20th century and making them electric only solves the local air quality problem. The future is to design our cities and infra around either active travel or efficient public transport. Cars are just a poor way of getting people round a city and snarl up all other methods. They also make us fat and produce all the associated problems of inactivity and obesity. The sooner we get this as a society the better.