Leam Hall Youth Hostel

I initially joined the Forum in the hope of contacting Albert Smith, but now realise that I am too late!

However, my interest in Leam Hall is basically nostalgic because I stayed there in 1951 whilst cycle touring from East London. Following a disagreement with my cycling friend, we decided to go our separate ways, with me opting to return home IN ONE HOP, all 186 miles of it! Since I had no lights, I had to complete it before dark (yes, in those days cyclists were more law abiding), but fortunately at that time the UK was on double summer time so lighting up time was not until around 10.00PM I completed the journey in 13 hours.

I have long thought that it would be nice to travel the same route, as much as possible, still on two wheels but this time motorised. This I intend to do by riding up to the Grindleford Bridge area one day, staying over-night and then trying to follow the old roads as much as possible, hoping I can remember which route I took! After on over-night stay in Essex I plan to return the deepest Somerset, my home.

If anyone has any advice as to where to stay, areas to avoid, etc, I would appreciate it.

Edited by Lengthofwire
Incorrect wording

Just been noseying in this topic, "Bill" is my Great Uncle and am looking forward to visiting Leam Hall and have a walk around the surrounding country side as its hidden away from everything ;)

My parents, Olga and Cyril Mowforth were both keen Youth Hostelers in the 1930-50s and committee members doing lots of voluntary work at Leam. I have fond memories of staying at Leam Hall as a young child, and meeting Mrs Rose-Innes who gave my parents a very fine 'loving cup' for their wedding (which is now one of my precious possessions). I also remember the striking wall mural which filled the end wall of Leam's dining room. I have recently put together a book of my parent's letters to each other during WW2 when my mother was a newly wed housewife in wartime Sheffield and my father was with the 42 Royal Tank Regiment in North Africa and then Germany. The letters contain numerous references to Youth hostels around Sheffield as my mother continued YHA committee work during the war - (she mentions people and work at Leam Hall - including the commissioning and painting of the mural, work at the now submerged Derwent Water Hostel, Ravenstor and others). Our family haven't published the book but it is available in pdf or one hard copy in the YHA Archives, and is also part of the Imperial War Museum collection. It is called "Good Evening Sweetheart" 2015.

My family are Outrams from Eyam...Goatscliff area

Thomas and Elizabeth were my ancestors as well

My mother was an Outram....her grandfather was the first to move from Eyam area to Sheffield

It is a confusing family tree are Thomas was a common name and there were two at the same time who both married Elizabeths....my Thomas was widowed....his wife Hannah is the first grave as you enter Eyam Church.........Thomas of Leam was his cousin.......Robert (grave behind the church) was his ancestor.

Rosemary Lockie (Genuki and Wishful Thinking websites) is a recognised expert and also an Outram.