Can Alzheimer's disease be slowed or stopped by diet?

Having first hand experience of seeing Alzheimer's effects on people I know I'm all for any ideas on how we can stop or slow down this disease which at present their is no cure.

With growing aging population we need to look different approaches in tackling it. So does the answer lie by changing our diets ? Possibly, certain foods can boost brain function like blue berries which are high in vitamin K content we all heard the expression that fish is good for the brain it seem to be ture with omerga three doing it's magic.

Walnuts and other unsalted nuts are good for the brain The Mediterranean diet maybe the key too keeping the brain function healthy has research shows that countries who follow such a diet have less heart and brain disease than countries who don't follow it.

Or are we doomed into doing things like putting the kettle in the fridge ?

Sod all can be done bar one drug which name escapes me once it's set in but a healthy diet and exercise can help prevent Alzheimer's apparently, but its a long way off from guaranteeing it.

i think given the medical professions don't have a cure for alzheimers, you aren't going to find one by posting on internet fora

Edited by TimmyR

Cannabis oil seems to be helping a variety of neurological conditions. (Parkinsons, multiple sclerosis etc). Maybe someone could start looking into that.

From what one reads on the Internet cannabis oil seems to be the ‘go to’ for all manner of ailments. Not heard if it works for ingrowing toe nails though.

From what one reads on the Internet cannabis oil seems to be the ‘go to’ for all manner of ailments. Not heard if it works for ingrowing toe nails though.

I guess if you got really stoned you'd probably forget about the pain for a while.

Sod all can be done bar one drug which name escapes me once it's set in but a healthy diet and exercise can help prevent Alzheimer's apparently, but its a long way off from guaranteeing it.

Aricept?

It was what my Dad took before he died of Alzheimers a few years ago which slows down the onset - or more accurately delays the "fall of the edge of the cliff".

My Dad played tennis regularly into his 70's so I'm dubious about claims it can be prevented by exercise.

Aricept?

It was what my Dad took before he died of Alzheimers a few years ago which slows down the onset - or more accurately delays the "fall of the edge of the cliff".

My Dad played tennis regularly into his 70's so I'm dubious about claims it can be prevented by exercise.

Aricept - that's the one.

According the Alzheimer's society exercise, good diet, no smoking etc etc are all key points on reducing the risk of getting Alzheimer's/dementia. https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/risk-factors-and-prevention/how-reduce-your-risk-dementia. But once you've got it, you've got it.

That said by far the biggest fsctor is age, and short of dying young there's not a lot to stop that. I've seen physically fit dementia sufferers - quite nimble but no idea where they are or what they're doing, kept the carers on their toes.

I bet the government would most about cost.

Edited by medusa
fixed tags

Aricept - that's the one.

According the Alzheimer's society exercise, good diet, no smoking etc etc are all key points on reducing the risk of getting Alzheimer's/dementia. https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/risk-factors-and-prevention/how-reduce-your-risk-dementia. But once you've got it, you've got it.

That said by far the biggest fsctor is age, and short of dying young there's not a lot to stop that. I've seen physically fit dementia sufferers - quite nimble but no idea where they are or what they're doing, kept the carers on their toes.

i'm all for doing your best to keep healthy, but I think Alzheimers, Dementia etc strike fairly indiscriminately. What worries me is that people are going to start being blamed for getting it, if it starts to be seen as a 'lifestyle' illness.

Interesting article HERE regarding sleep apnoea, and the onset of dementia.

I'm sure there are other sources for the info with more detail.

Aricept?

Aricept it is. My lovely Mum had Alzheimers disease and was prescribed it for a few years before her condition had deteriorated too far for her to benefit from it. It is thought that it slows deterioration but how is this measured since it can't be guessed how quickly the condition would have deteriorated without it ?

There is a lot of confusion with regards to dementia. Alzheimers Disease is one form of dementia but not everyone who has dementia has AD. A common form of dementia is called vascular dementia which is caused by narrowing of the arteries in the brain - the same as arteries narrow in the heart and the cause is the same. Therefore - exercise and a healthy diet can help some people to reduce their risk of developing vascular dementia - less likely for AD I suspect

https://www.alzheimersresearchuk.org/about-dementia/types-of-dementia/

Just as a footnote - my lovely Mum had a low BMI and was physically fit and active when she was diagnosed with AD.

Edited by Daven