Is eBay finished?

I have used eBay over the years for odd things never of high value so if it went pear shaped I didn't lose much but have noticed that the site is not has busy has it used to be.

I've never sold anything on their but I am aware of the sellers fees been high and buyers having more rights than sellers do. I've read reviews for eBay many complain of scam sellers claiming they are based in the UK when in fact they are based in China. People sending empty boxes back for refunds and such like. eBay customer service not been up too standard when disputes arise. I suspect all this has pushed people away from it. Their are similar sites to eBay now plus the mighty Amazon.

Do we need eBay now ?

The scam location is a real bugbear of mine, but you can check where they are located really by checking the seller information at the bottom of the listing.

What are these sites similar to eBay?

Re is Ebay finished. It's fast going that way. It's charges for selling now rival most Auction Houses, who have to pay rent and rates, Ebay have non of these costs, do they?.

Angel1.

I buy and sell on eBay and find its 99% reliable as long as you use your common sense ...check feedback as most people are honest ...and allways use recorded postage !

The scam location is a real bugbear of mine, but you can check where they are located really by checking the seller information at the bottom of the listing.

What are these sites similar to eBay?

ebid and Etsy are similar to eBay both have auctions and buy it now. In fact some sellers from eBay are on it because of the problems they had.

Scan locations are given away by postage times you only find out after buying though.

I buy and sell on eBay and find its 99% reliable as long as you use your common sense ...check feedback as most people are honest ...and allways use recorded postage !

Same here, had the odd one try it on when doing repairs of consoles/controllers but on the whole most are honest and the ones who tried it on lost the case with ebay. So they don't always side with the buyers. Just make sure you document everything and video receiving returns. Also find if you talk to a scammer long enough they dig themselves into holes and when ebay look into it and read the messages it's obvious what's going on, not normally the smartest of people lol.

Edited by MrRobot

It's some time ago now but I had a scammer from Poland try a refund fraud on me. He tried claiming the (very expensive and heavy) item had been "destroyed" by the courier, best he could do was a very vague and obscure photograph.

He did his best to get me to email outside of ebay ("I can't send the clear photo through ebay!") and also tried to get me angry about the courier company. Presumably to divert my time and attention.

Keep a clear head, keep it professional. I kept reminding him it was "best to stay within the ebay message system in case *you* need evidence in an investigation. It's best for you sir".

I sent a message along the lines of: "if you could send a photograph of the destroyed item including the serial number in case we need to issue criminal proceedings against these couriers" and "just return the item, even if it is destroyed, and we will refund immediately - of course all serial numbers will be verified".

Basically do what any business would do and do not get angry.

Eventually he went quiet but it was a nervous period waiting for the refund window to close.

I was able to track down the buyer, in Poland, and it turns out he runs an online shop. And to my surprise there's a similar item to mine on sale - looking in pretty good condition to say it was "destroyed"!

If he had managed to scam a refund, I would have bought the item back, on a credit card. I suspect I would have been lodging a complaint about a "destroyed" item with the credit card company...

It might be finished for one-off private sellers, but is still my first go-to for most purchases, especially books.

Best bet is to sell local - Facebook buy and sell pages, Gumtree, Preloved and the like. State cash on collection only.

Hmm Ebay makes over $7m per day, so I think it'll be a while until they're classed as struggling.

Hmm Ebay makes over $7m per day, so I think it'll be a while until they're classed as struggling.

That's pocket money aside of what Amazon make.

That's pocket money aside of what Amazon make.

It's relative. They may not mate Amazons trillions, but I make more than an ice-cream man so.......

It might be finished for one-off private sellers, but is still my first go-to for most purchases, especially books.

Best bet is to sell local - Facebook buy and sell pages, Gumtree, Preloved and the like. State cash on collection only.

Same here, Ebay is still my first go to.