Child Tax credits untill 20 yrs old?

I was surprised that parents can get tax credit amount to over £100 per week for children that are <20 and in full-time education.

I think I have that right; but it seems they can do A-levels and get paid, yet go to university and it costs them thousands.

So if they do 10-20 hours and then the £100 pw on top, they are not doing too bad.

It costs to raise a family and it is obvious that the government is trying to give incentives in doing so. The birth rate in the UK is below the 2.1 for a stable population. Immigration is the only thing that is stopping the country from shrinking. You don't want a shrinking population as it would be to the detriment of the wider economy. Japan is ahead of the curve is terms of demographics and they are struggling to remedy it.

Tax credits apply only to the less well off, right?

You may be able to claim Child Tax Credit if you’re responsible for children either:

aged 16 or under - you can claim up until 31 August after their 16th birthday

under 20 and in eligible education or training

You do not need to be working to claim Child Tax Credit. Only one household can get Child Tax Credit for a child.

The basic amount (this is known as ‘the family element’) Up to £545

For each child (this is known as ‘the child element’) Up to £2,780

households with an income of up to £50,000 are entitled to the full family element of the child tax credit. Those earning more get a reduced sum.

Not sure how you got £100 pw. The max appears to be £63.94 to me.

You get more if you have a second child. But it won’t be as much as the first child. I need to pay all the child benefit back due to the thresholds. However, it is definitely worth claiming since my wife doesn’t work at the moment, the claiming of child benefits effectively gives her free NI contributions for the duration she is claiming on behalf of our children. For us, all the money is put aside for the kids anyway for university or house deposit for later.

So if they do 10-20 hours and then the £100 pw on top, they are not doing too bad.

If they are in full time education AND do 20 hrs of paid work then they won't have much time left for anything else!

I put my details into entitledto.com and it came back with £20 child benefit and £95 WTCs.

---------- Post added 18-09-2018 at 11:01 ----------

Basic element – one per single claimant or couple £1,960

Couples’ and lone parents’ element (paid in addition to the basic element but only one Couples’ element allowed per couple £2,010

£3970 shared by 52 weeks, I guess that would be the maximum

Working Tax Credits are not Child Tax Credits though... And neither is Child Benefit for that matter.

Working Tax Credits are not Child Tax Credits though... And neither is Child Benefit for that matter.

Child tax credits do have a lower maximum payment, it seems.

So where did the original misinformation come from that started you thinking about it?

My daughter is 18 and has done 2 years at college, and has now signed up for another 2 years.

Not sure if the £80/£100 per week influenced her decision, but its very concerning.

I used the word child credits, when I meant WTC.

I put my details into entitledto.com and it came back with £20 child benefit and £95 WTCs.

---------- Post added 18-09-2018 at 11:01 ----------

Basic element – one per single claimant or couple £1,960

Couples’ and lone parents’ element (paid in addition to the basic element but only one Couples’ element allowed per couple £2,010

£3970 shared by 52 weeks, I guess that would be the maximum

By £20 child benefit, do you mean the "Family Allowance" (if its still called that!) that is paid to all parents, regardless of income?

I don't know if you're aware also, students don't pay tax on their wages.

By £20 child benefit, do you mean the "Family Allowance" (if its still called that!) that is paid to all parents, regardless of income?

I don't know if you're aware also, students don't pay tax on their wages.

They charged her tax, in error.

In a new development, she has now said that she is not taking three A levels. I believe it's in relation to being accepted at Uni. They would need to be A*, if accepted at all.

So although parents with a child up to 20 can get child benefit(family allowance), the allowance for my daughter will stop.