Jobs for a overqualified refugee graduate in investment management

Dear Forum Members,

I am an MSc Finance & Accounting graduate (with distinction) of the University of Sheffield. Moreover, I am a CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) Level 3 candidate. I had to take employment in retail sector due to my financial circumstances after I was granted leave to remain as an asylum. My previous and current employers would willingly provide a recommendation/reference letter to my prospective employer.

Despite all of above, I cannot even get the attention of recruitment consultants. Please share your opinion about how real it is for me to set a foot in financial services/investment management industry after this.

P.S. I'm 26.

Thanks a lot in advance for your opinion and advice! :help:

Kamran

You will find it difficult, but so would anyone trying to break into Banking or Investment Management at the moment.

In Sheffield, there is not much Banking or Investment Management, other than customer service.

You might have more success if you approach the Independent Financial Advisor firms and see if anyone can help guide you as to what you would need to have to get hired by them. You will find that some firms will be sympathetic to your situation.

I applied to Goldman Sachs graduate scheme in 2017 and came till the final interview. I was among 145 candidates out of +18k who made it to the final interview. I do not need them sympathetic, I just need a chance to show my skills at work.

Thanks for the advice!

Sorry to hear you are struggling. Its an incredibly competitive market, with good graduates (even outstanding graduates) having to work hard at getting a good role - I should know, one of my roles is working with students looking for placements

Firstly its a number game - I know students who have done 100+ applications to get a good role, 40+ isnt uncommon

Remember 50% of graduates go to large employers and 50% to SMEs (stats might be slightly different in your area) - the latter are often rubbish at recuiting so if you can do the work for them it incraeses your odds dramatically. Being proactive with SMEs is also good, just ring them up, go to the events they are at - often they have work but are too busy to recruit

I assume you are using the Uni of facilities to find employers, develop your interview skills etc. If you have been shortlisted you were employable, but on the day they picked someone else - thats how it works

Recruiters can be very fickle, do you have experience? A placement year or some real experience is almost a minimum for them - again its a numbers game, get a brilliant CV and keep hitting every recruiter you can find

LinkedIn can also be a good place to go looking - for roles and recruiters. How good is your LinkedIn profile?

It might not help with your circumstance but Leeds and Manchester have a lot more going on in FS than Sheffield - though Leeds is much cheaper to commute to by train

Thanks a lot! I have to admit that I've not applied to 100+ jobs, but the overall number of my applications is around 40.

You are in the wrong place for investment management. Fill the need where it is.

I know also there was a test recently undertaken where the same man used a "foriegn" name and a John smith type name, he noticed it was far harder to get people to look twice at his applications with the foriegn sounding name.

yeah, James Caan changed his name to get where he got and so do loads of other people because of the, dare I say it, "snobby" prejudiced attitudes