Do The Old Meadowhead Toilets Block Mark The Old Tram System Terminus?

Often wounded if the now derelict Meadowshead toilet block was were the trams turned round to go back to the city centre and block was built for drivers and public to use and a stop near by. The area I'm on about is were a petrol station now stands and the large roundabout?

The Meadowhead terminus was close to the junction of Meadowhead and Greenfield Road

The Meadowhead terminus was close to the junction of Meadowhead and Greenfield Road
Here is a photo and also a link to one on the picturesheffield.com site.

Great photo. Four o'clock and not a car in sight. :)
Ah - those were the days!.:)

Thanks for the replies like the photo showing everyone running after the tram something's don't change!

As stated above the tram terminus was not at meadowhead it was nearer town. Meadowhead terminus was unusual in that it didn't have a block of toilets which was standard - Abbey Lane (where the DIY shop is ) Beauchief terminus - next to beauchief hotel, Millhouses loop where the flats are now. Totley Cross Sythes, Eccleshall terminus - the building is still there its listed. When the first bus serice started in 1913 from the bottom of Manchester road to lodge moor that bus shelter had a toilet attached.

I wonder if the toilet block at top of meadowhead was sited there for the 75 service short workings that turned using Norton lane and hunstone avenue to turn round - the full service went to cloonemoor driver --

NOTE this was BEFORE the service was extended to Bradway

The toilets were in use when I was at school, I remember there were several incidents of flashers and an assault

At a rough guess how old are the toilet's were they built at the same time as the petrol station ? I always thought their was a connection to the tram system but clearly not the case seems an odd place to have them.

I've never been on a Tram!

Shall have to try a ride one day :thumbsup:

As I remember it, the tramlines ended at a point roughly equidistant between Little Norton Lane & Greenfield Road. There is a bus stop where the tram terminus shelter used to be. I lived in the area from 1959 to 1973 & do not recall any toilet blocks thereabouts.

I lived on Meadowhead as a small boy, moved away in 1952.

Yes, the tram stop was in between Greenfield Road and Little Norton Lane. If you look at the current bus stop, you will notice that the concrete base is quite large, as the tram terminus had a generous shelter, etc. There used to be a large clock on an adjacent pole.

Hanging on my wall is a James' watercolour print, showing said shelter, clock, and a 'MEADOWHEAD' tram.

However, c.1950 they extended the line a few hundred yards, and the terminus was then outside the shops at the top of Meadowhead. To turn the tram round, the driver used a long pole to swivel the power boom round.

The toilet block came later, as that corner was all taken up by Brocklehurst's Garage.

Happy days. We used to run down the little staircase and jump on the pedal that rang the bell........

Edited by Cyclecar