Sanderson Bros. and Newbould/Sanderson Kayser

Hi

Do these names ring a bell with anyone out there: Christine Hird (Goodrum)

Jackie Rastrick (father worked in Saw Dept)

Carol Metham, Ann Patchett, Roy Phoenix ( Soccer referee)

Brenda Froggatt.(Lamkin) All worked at Sandersons many moons ago and would love to hear from them.

Edited by Rondonc
Further info

Ho Rondok, Don't know the period you are referring to but my Dad and uncle worked all their lives at S.B.&N up to their joint retirement in the 1960's. They were Ernest and Arthur Calton. Ernest, the elder, stayed on until Arthur reached retirement age and then they were both presented with gold watches for their total of 106 years service. The award was reported in the 'Star' with a photograph. Both had survived the Somme.

Anyone remember the incident when two Sheffield ambulances crashed into each other in Walkley in the late 1950's or early 1960's ?

Hi Dave

I was there from '51 to '95 and I definitely remember the name Calton but can't bring to mind which area of the Steel Dept. he worked in. There was a Bill Calton in the forge but I think that your dad probably worked in the warehouse. Not sure though!

Rondonc

I worked in the Gear Dept. from 1960 to 1969 starting as an apprentice and finally as a draughtsman. If Bob Headley, Mick Hadfield or Harry Clark read this then please post a reply.

I worked in the Gear Dept. from 1960 to 1969 starting as an apprentice and finally as a draughtsman. If Bob Headley, Mick Hadfield or Harry Clark read this then please post a reply.

Are you a relative of Cyril Munks who worked in the melting shop?

My dad worked at Kayser Ellison/Sanderson Kayser on Carlisle Street in the 60s early 70s, he was a fitters mate and was called Harry Wilson.

Sadly he passed away in 1979.

Hi Tedmunks

I am neither of the 3 you mention but I knew Harry, brother of Fred who worked in Steel Dept with myself. My father in law was Harold Brookes which you will have known. I used to do a lot of photography with Fred Hague, the foreman in Gear Dept. I laso knew Cyril Jackson, your manager.

Ron Fletcher

Are you a relative of Cyril Munks who worked in the melting shop?

I remember Cyril Monks in Melting Dept. Also Arthur Auty and Dennis Boyle, not forgetting Phil Kenning.

Ron Fletcher

Hi, Rondonc, Ernest Calton was put onto overhead crane duties whilst he waited for brother Arthur to retire when Arthur was 65 and Ernest 70.I had an uncle Bill Calton, but didn't know that he also worked there, but he must have if you knew him. Ernest was involved in some capacity working on 'The Stalingrad Sword' which Sanderson's fabricated, if I have the story correct .

Hi David

The Bill Calton that I knew was a big tall strapping lad who worked on the 5ton hammer in the forge.

I have no knowlege of 'The Stalingrad Sword' so presume it was before my time ie., before 1951.

Hi, Rondonc, Ernest Calton was put onto overhead crane duties whilst he waited for brother Arthur to retire when Arthur was 65 and Ernest 70.I had an uncle Bill Calton, but didn't know that he also worked there, but he must have if you knew him. Ernest was involved in some capacity working on 'The Stalingrad Sword' which Sanderson's fabricated, if I have the story correct .

Yes the steel for the Stalingrad Sword was rolled at Sandersons by a chap called Joe Crookes and then sent off to wilkinsons Blades to be finished and then presented to Joe Stalin in Tehran by Winston Churchill.It now is in the war museum in Volgagrad(Stalingrad as was)and it is a magnificent thing.I have a photo of it somewhere which I will post,if I can.http://www.vincelewis.net/stalingradsword.html

Edited by Kidorry
added clip.