Is A Student Union Chicken-Shop Tour Racist?

Not at all if you're a fan of fried chicken, and to be fair why would anyone do the tour if they weren't.

I'm sure the shop owners wouldn't be bothered either. Extra business.

This is PC gone utterly bonkers

Don't know from a Daily Fail article.

Most of the article mentioned the classist aspect.

Bunch of hooray Henry's barging around poor areas to see how the other halves live is takin the pish to say the least

Don't know from a Daily Fail article.

Most of the article mentioned the classist aspect.

Bunch of hooray Henry's barging around poor areas to see how the other halves live is takin the pish

If youve been in the area where Goldsmiths is located the students walk around deprived areas every single day. Students and locals live and work/study cheek by jowl. The Mail story is ridiculous, only trumped by the idiocy of the students.

At UoS it's no different. We are an aggressively left-leaning institution.

Whats wrong with chicken shops?

Love a good chicken and chips me.

Crap chicken shops are worthy of derision - i just hope they also include KFC in their list of crap chicken shops. That they happen to mainly be owned by non whites is merely circumstantial. As cyclone says it is perhaps a little wealthist - there are poor people who depend on such establishments for income. That said I don't think the chickens that are tortured would be too upset at the shops being mocked.

But anyway who says they're mocking the shops? They could be just enjoying crap chicken as crap chicken fans.

Edited by TimmyR

Please dont turn this into another Brexit thread. Back on topic.

Thank you.

If youve been in the area where Goldsmiths is located the students walk around deprived areas every single day. Students and locals live and work/study cheek by jowl. The Mail story is ridiculous, only trumped by the idiocy of the students.

I know the area very well .. this story isn't a one off .. London and the South is a different country to up here.. there's genefrication of certain areas especially East London that's becoming a long running battle for residents. this kind of classist bs,seeing how the other half live story is part and parcel of it.

this kind of classist seeing how the other half live bs is part and parcel.

It's just political correctness gone mad. At Varsity if you get caught chanting "the wheels on your house go round & round" it will bring your academic career to an end.

Guest makapaka

People shouldn't get drawn in by stuff like this - it's a joke of a paper the Mail.

If you read past the first through paragraphs its basically a student tweeting a couple of times on the subject.

It's just a pathetic attempt by the Mail to create an issue and divide where there isn't one - and the sad thing is it works....

Twelve posts in and you've got people talking about the "aggressive leaning left" "racist students" "political correctness gone mad" "wealthists" "Brexit".

It's a non-story.

I know the area very well .. this story isn't a one off .. London and the South is a different country to up here.. there's genefrication of certain areas especially East London that's becoming a long running battle for residents. this kind of classist bs,seeing how the other half live story is part and parcel of it.

Rubbish.

It is an introduction of the freshers to the take-aways that they will be using after the clubs for the next three years.

The chicken shops welcome it and provide free samples. They want the trade and the Goldsmiths wants to encourage the patronage of local businesses.

and ... the event was organised by bme students.

Edited by cgksheff