Club Mill - Club Mill Lane

Anyone know what the abandoned buildings - including the tiny little mill - are all about down on Club Mill Lane?

What's the story behind it? It doesnt look old - I did hear that it was supposed to be some kind of pub complex or something but it all went to pieces before being completed. Is this true? If so, why? What happened? What was it supposed to be?

:confused:

The building's are the remnants of the old park silver mills cottages, and the old club mill goit, dating back to the1790's,

another piece of sheffield history going down the pan.

• Like 1

I was wondering myself about the old abandoned mill, cos I would have been interested in what it used to be used for and also if any one knows who owns, it if any one? in view to purcasing it for renovation, I have seen it for the past few weeks because my boss Has bought the old silverstamp factory across the road and you just cant help wondering when you see it what it would have looked like in days of old, it really is a shame about the dessimation of that once very busy industrial area and it would be nice to see it regenerated.

You could try the land registry to see who the land is registered to. Last time i was down there Wraggs Skips were using the front, most probably not theirs,

I can remember them when they were still in use, there were also houses at the other side of the road from them at the bottom of the banking (Wilcockson's )and also Parkwood Lodge (Arthur Wood) further back towards Hillfoot near the bend.

The following is from "Water power on the Sheffield Rivers" edited by David Crossley. Old Park Corn Mill, Club Mill, or Old Park Forge:

This corn mill was in existence before 1709, when it was among property listed in a Bamforth marriage settlement. It remained property of the Bamforths and their heirs until at least 1881. Two millers have been identified in the 18th century: Thomas Swinden was tenant in 1735 and 1739, taking a further lease in the latter year for 21 years. The next lease has not been found, but George Clark was miller in the 1770's: he and Joseph Hancock, tenant of the neighbouring rolling mill, arranged for the enlargeemnt of the head goit in 1775, and Clark appears in surveys of 1777 and 1778, in the Brightside rate books, and in 1794 in the printed list. From 1795, the corn mill was in the hands of a friendly society, hence the name Club Mill. In 1801 rates were paid by the 'proprietors of the Club Mill' and in 1807 there was an assignment of lease to 32 named individuals, headed byJjeremiah Mate, miller, but including cutlers, grinders, a scissor-smith, a button-maker and an ivory turner. In 1811 and 1813 adverts for the letting of the mill'by ticket' appeared in the Iris, and the 1814-1815 Directory shows the mill in the hands of 'Club Societies'. However, individual tenants appear in the rate books theresfter, and the change seems to have come in 1817, when there is a report in the Iris.of a 'newly erected water-corn-mill and shelling mill called Old Park Mill', Mr Bellamy as tenant. John Oliver became miller about 1825, and is named in the rate books until 1850, by then having an engine house entered with the mill. Thereafter the tenancies change, to Haden and Woodcock by 1871, and Wilson Peace's executors in 1881. During this period Lady Burgoyne was named as the owner. The wheel-list of 1895 shows that the mill was burned down in 1887, and the building bears no name on the OS map of 1893. In 1905 and 1907 it was still referred to as Old Park Corn Mill, but the 1923 OS identifies the site as Old Park Forge. It is not known when water power ceased to be used. The weir survives and the position of the entry to the head koit can be seen. The goit and dam have been filled in, but the position of the mill can be established from the 1923 OS map. The tail goit is not visible: it fed straight into the rolling mill dam, which has long been filled in.

OldPark Silver Mill. The rolling mill was built in 1764 by Joseph Hancock, shown by a field book entry for laying floors in the glazing and rolling mill.Hancock was a former apprentice to Thomas Boulsover, inventor of Old Sheffield Plate. It is likely his mill was put up near the old paper mill known to have stood near the Old Park Corn Mill in 1749 and 1754., but whose early history is unknown.References to the paper mill continue until 1788, but in 1794 and 1795 2 rolling mills were mapped and described and it is likely that the second replaced the paper mill.the 1795 description contains important detail: one mill was for rolling plated copper, and was driven by an undershot water wheel 12ft in diameter and 4ft 3in wide: the other was for finishing plate and for rolling silver, powered by a new undershot wheel of 18ft diameter and 3ft 7in. width,,built by a wheel wright called Machin.When both wheels were working and no water was flowing into the dam, they would use up the supply in 15 minutes. At the time of the Sheffield Flood the mills were operated by William Peace, whose claim for damage totalled £1,932, of which £1,720 was agreed. The mill, opposite the outflow of the Loxley, was badly damagedi; it was claimed that silver was lost and a reference to steam pipes suggests an engine may have been in use. The Old Park Silver Mills Co as it was known from about 1880 worked until the 1950's, succeeded by the Sheffield Steel Rolling Co who operated until 1980. The larger mill changed from water to steam power in 1875, the others were converted to electric operation in 1920. One water wheel was recorded in 1895. The dam was filled in about 1929. The area of the dam has been built over. The buildings have been much altered, but the house, although derelict, is recognisably that in an early 19th century painting.

• Like 1

Here's a bit from "The History of Neepsend" by Paul Hodkinson,

In late 1795, the Club Flourmill was erected, and it used the same weir and goit as the Old Park Rolling Mills. The laying of the foundation stone was a stirring occasion. The various friendly societies or sick clubs of Sheffield decided to build a mill to produce good flour at a cheaper price than the retailers. On the 5th of November 1795 the masons society followed by a number of other clubs each with a handsome banner flying, accompanied by music, a drum beating, marched around the town, crossed the River Don over the wooden bridge from Hillfoot to Farfield and then to the site for the laying of the stone.

Once the mill was in operation, the clubs decided to diversify. They established a cheap shoe scheme and planned a cheap milk scheme.

All the schemes failed within a few years and the land and building reverted back to the landowners possession. From then on it continued its original purpose as a Corn Mill. Club Mill Road derives its name from the Club Mill.

• Like 2

Hi All,

I worked at Old Park Silver Mills on the rolls 1975-1976 (when i left school). The old water wheel was still occasionally used to turn the rolls, and used the water from the river and 2 big concrete tanks at the back of the mill. I remember we had small sausage shaped furnace heaters that we kept going all the time. We used to make toast for the morning break, by laying bread around the small furnaces. I can remember a chap called Ron and another called Arthur, and a forman called mick who must have been 200 years old then and never had a fag out of his mouth. Great year i had there. In fact Ron still owes me £50.00 that i lent him, which was a fortune in those days. I still have an old fashioned micrometer that i used everyday to make sure that the nickel silver ingots were rolled to the correct thickness. Happy days. The old house used to be the offices, where we would go on a friday to pick up our pay.

Glynn

• Like 2

Oh yes, just noticed, I missed it first time round but I see this is your first post, so welcome to the Forum Simondojo, but be careful, it can be addictive:thumbsup:

A mate of mine was offered that land for £180k last year.

Apparently we've been told that it has now been sold for £150k early this year. What the plans are we don't know, but Wraggy is worried!

At a loose end today i decided to take a trip down Club mill Rd Neepsend i thought i would see if our old pal the caravan dweller was still around.

To my surprise about a mile or so on i found the road cut off with industrial containers stretching the full width.

Has this road now been officially cut off is the barrier temporary or is the road now private. Any info?

• Like 1

I was wondering myself about the old abandoned mill, cos I would have been interested in what it used to be used for and also if any one knows who owns, it if any one? in view to purcasing it for renovation, I have seen it for the past few weeks because my boss Has bought the old silverstamp factory across the road and you just cant help wondering when you see it what it would have looked like in days of old, it really is a shame about the dessimation of that once very busy industrial area and it would be nice to see it regenerated.

What happened to Shefflex,Certain they had the Silver stamp factory offices opposite.

shefflex is still there. i work at chapmans a bit further along.