Ellesmere road school, did you go there?

Hi

Susan George here I used to live opposite the school on whittle street , I remember Tony sarjeant playing at our house I have even got a photo of him in our back yard

I have the Xmas pantomime photos as well and recognised a lot of people

I remember Susan Plevin Susan oxley brenda Timmins Cheryl dabell Denise Elrick Derek denial Pamela holt

I passed my 11 plus and went to grange grammar with Susan plevin who lived at the hole in the wall pub near the wicker arches

I remember mr scot at the baths and remember playing on the Wembley swings and slides

Tony Sargent do you remember the game with empty cigarette packets? We kept them in an oxo tin

We moved to birley estate around 63/64 but have good memories of pitsmoor

Hi Cheryl and Susan,

My memory is hazy but I remember both of you. I haven't strayed far. I live in Rotherham. We left Pitsmoor and moved to Sheffield Lane Top when our house was compulsorily purchased for slum clearance about 50 years ago. Nevertheless, it is still standing, but the street has been renamed Maxwell Way.

I remember spending ages playing the cigarette packet game. i wonder how widespread it was. I suppose flip top packets put paid to it.

I am pleased to hear from you both after all this time.

The Oxley brothers i knew weren't George or Pete, can't actually remember their names but i think they might have lived on Spital Street, they were always getting into scraps and could handle themselves, i remember that much, i was on the receiving end once or twice.

Les Johnson

I remember Robert and John Oxley, one in the A class and one in the B class. They would have left about 1961/2.

Mr Albaya was brilliant. He used to pretend to shoot us with his banana and we never got tired of it. I think he was in the Spanish Civil War.

I remember Robert and John Oxley, one in the A class and one in the B class. They would have left about 1961/2.

Mr Albaya was brilliant. He used to pretend to shoot us with his banana and we never got tired of it. I think he was in the Spanish Civil War.

I was at Ellesmere at the same time as Robert & John Oxley. I was in Mr Albaya's class, and I think Mr Eliis's class as well. I was mates with Stuart Hackett, Alan Wasden, John Whitworth, and can remember Ron Fox, Wendy Smithson, Leslie Farrell, Jacqueline Glenn, Susan Cross, Christine Stagg. Not sure if all those names are correct.

I was at Ellesmere at the same time as Robert & John Oxley. I was in Mr Albaya's class, and I think Mr Eliis's class as well. I was mates with Stuart Hackett, Alan Wasden, John Whitworth, and can remember Ron Fox, Wendy Smithson, Leslie Farrell, Jacqueline Glenn, Susan Cross, Christine Stagg. Not sure if all those names are correct.

Were you in the same classes as Neville Hiley, Craig Sleigh or Rhys Gibbon ?

Ellesmere Road School, did you go there?

Here is some info that may jog memories 1956

• Like 1

Ellesmere Road School, did you go there?

Here is some info that may jog memories 1956

thats interesting zakes,

little interesting fact, who remembers Mr Albaya teaching his own son? yes his own son was in his class.

Were you in the same classes as Neville Hiley, Craig Sleigh or Rhys Gibbon ?

They don't ring a bell for me except for Rhys Gibbon, who I know from another site about Pitsmoor.

I was in the same class as Robert and John Oxley, and recall they lived at the Albion public house, next to John Heaths.I lived on Earsham street. Does anyone remember Ann Short she was a friend of Christine Stagg. Other classmates were Denise Baxter, Carol Faulkner, Barbara Cross, Kathleen Turner, John Ballantyne, Stephen Fiddes, Joan Bray.Many more but I cannot remember their names. I lived a few doors down from Stuart Hackett. Can anyone remember a black dog, owned by a family called Burtons?The dog would come into the playground and run riot.A couple of other names have just come to me, Leslie Farrell and Keith Handisides. Fond memories of Ellesmere Road School Mr. Albaya, Mr. Elliss and Miss Duncan.I was so pleased when Mr. Albaya nominated me as nature table monitor. He was a very good teacher whose patience was tried, many times by the Oxley brothers.I remember Glen Green, who I believe lived with his grandfather.The good times we had, playing on the swings and roundabout on the Wembley. Memories brought back by us visiting the school nurse, for injections, nit inspection, weight checks and if you were unfortunate, like me, the dreaded malt mixture.School plays at the Ellesmere Road Community Centre. I was always a fairy. The work my mum put in making those sparkly costumes.Would love to hear from fellow classmates.Where does the time go.Just remembered Ann Green, she had a brother called Billy and Linda Garvey.Hope all of you have had and are having good lives.I think we had a good start in life and good times, thanks to Ellesmere Road School.

I remember Stuart Hackett, Roy Sales, Susan Harrison, John Whitworth and Raymond Stow. I was Lesley Farrell. I walked in front of a swing on the Wembley once and got concussion. Remember Mr Scott at the baths with his rubber broom? He held it in front of you to try and get you to swim further but we believed that he’d never let anyone grab it. My husband and his sister used to have to walk all the way to Scott Road baths from Firshill School! I remember one play at the Community Centre, think it was Hansel

& Gretel. Also remember Mr Ellis, Miss Duncan and Mr Albaya. He was in the Spanish Civil War, I discovered years later. He used to shoot us with his banana, and sometimes shout “And shall Trelawny die?” from the song about the trial of the 7 bishops, I think. We were happy, I’m sure.

---------- Post added 24-01-2018 at 20:46 ----------

thats interesting zakes,

little interesting fact, who remembers Mr Albaya teaching his own son? yes his own son was in his class.

No, didn’t know that.

Lesley, I hope you can remember me. Jacqueline Rushforth. You lived Harleston Road and one of your neighbours was a photographer, if my memory serves me well.Your house was opposite the corner shop.I once stayed at your grandmothers with you and I seem to remember we made a tent in your grandmothers sitting room.I think your grandmothers house was in either Shiregreen or Shirecliffe.I remember going on school trips,one to Stratford on Avon and one to York.We paid by installments, weekly at school.How fantastic to hear from you.Hope you receive this, as I am new to the forum site. Yes, Mr. Scott was a one off, thank heavens. I,ve still got some of my swimming certificates and school reports.Funny how I've kept these.How the memories come flooding back.I did'nt pass the 11 plus, but I'm sure you did.Take care,Jackie.

I was in the same class as Robert and John Oxley, and recall they lived at the Albion public house, next to John Heaths.I lived on Earsham street. Does anyone remember Ann Short she was a friend of Christine Stagg. Other classmates were Denise Baxter, Carol Faulkner, Barbara Cross, Kathleen Turner, John Ballantyne, Stephen Fiddes, Joan Bray.Many more but I cannot remember their names. I lived a few doors down from Stuart Hackett. Can anyone remember a black dog, owned by a family called Burtons?The dog would come into the playground and run riot.A couple of other names have just come to me, Leslie Farrell and Keith Handisides. Fond memories of Ellesmere Road School Mr. Albaya, Mr. Elliss and Miss Duncan.I was so pleased when Mr. Albaya nominated me as nature table monitor. He was a very good teacher whose patience was tried, many times by the Oxley brothers.I remember Glen Green, who I believe lived with his grandfather.The good times we had, playing on the swings and roundabout on the Wembley. Memories brought back by us visiting the school nurse, for injections, nit inspection, weight checks and if you were unfortunate, like me, the dreaded malt mixture.School plays at the Ellesmere Road Community Centre. I was always a fairy. The work my mum put in making those sparkly costumes.Would love to hear from fellow classmates.Where does the time go.Just remembered Ann Green, she had a brother called Billy and Linda Garvey.Hope all of you have had and are having good lives.I think we had a good start in life and good times, thanks to Ellesmere Road School.

Hi think you must be a little older than me, I went to Ellesmere started in the infants in 1959, notice you mentioned Stephen Fiddes I was friends with his sister Jill I lived two doors down from Susan Harrison, my name Penny Yates.