Club Mill - Club Mill Lane

I worked at TG Lilleymans on Clubmill Road back in the 70s, it was a forge with drop stamping hammers, down at the end of the road was the Farfield pub, went in there many a day went fishing with the club, and of course the famous Sheffield Rolling Mills across the bridge

I used to pass the Old Park Silver Mill every day on my way to Hillfoot School from 1948 until I left at Easter 1958!.Allan Willcockson lived with his family across the narrow lane in one of the cottages,the place was a going concern then,he was a year older than me in the class above!.On the next bend going towards Hillfoot was a cottage surrounded by the huge ashes tip where an old couple lived,us kids knew the man as Jack Woods,I don,t know if that was his proper name but that's what we all called him!.Across the lane from them between the Silver Mill and the River Don was our school allotment garden,Allans dad was brother chip to mine very strict which led to a tragedy refered to in an earlier post of mine,a very sad and upsetting outcome I don,t know how their family coped at the time!.For 10 years I trudged up and down Club Mill Lane from an infant to an adolescent,it looked a lot better in those days than now!.

• Like 1

On 13/11/2017 at 09:26, old tup said:

I used to pass the Old Park Silver Mill every day on my way to Hillfoot School from 1948 until I left at Easter 1958!.Allan Willcockson lived with his family across the narrow lane in one of the cottages,the place was a going concern then,he was a year older than me in the class above!.On the next bend going towards Hillfoot was a cottage surrounded by the huge ashes tip where an old couple lived,us kids knew the man as Jack Woods,I don,t know if that was his proper name but that's what we all called him!.Across the lane from them between the Silver Mill and the River Don was our school allotment garden,Allans dad was brother chip to mine very strict which led to a tragedy refered to in an earlier post of mine,a very sad and upsetting outcome I don,t know how their family coped at the time!.For 10 years I trudged up and down Club Mill Lane from an infant to an adolescent,it looked a lot better in those days than now!.

Hey Tup as possibly the worlds leading expert of Club Mill Road: do you know what the "Cottages to the Old Park Silver Rolling Mills" were? 

From Picture Sheffield

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;t12367&pos=40&action=zoom&id=143111

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s28693&pos=12&action=zoom&id=89840

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;t12368&pos=3&action=zoom&id=143112

Based on these pictures I would say the remaining ruins are the cottages, except having had a snoop around the ruins don't look the same at all in terms of windows, roofline and arches.

The Britain From Above archives

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/sites/all/libraries/aerofilms-images/public/580w/EAW/040/EAW040042.jpg

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/sites/all/libraries/aerofilms-images/public/580w/EAW/040/EAW040044.jpg

https://britainfromabove.org.uk/sites/all/libraries/aerofilms-images/public/580w/EAW/040/EAW040045.jpg

Don't show anything else that looks like it could be the cottages though. 

The cottages were two adjoined buildings right outside the gates to the Silver Mill on the other side of the very narrow lane!.They were the only cottages on Club Mill Lane apart from one a few hundred yards further on towards Hillfoot occupied by an old couple named Woods!.If my memory serves me right the one furthest away from Hillfoot was occupied by the Wilcockson family,after that all the buildings were business premises ending with Hattersley and Ridge and then the Power Station area right on to Wardsend Graveyard!.

Hello, I am a Sheffield University student and am interested in knowing about workers' experiences in the Old Park silver plate mill.

Smashing. To see this thread back . A fascinating  place is Club Mill

• Like 1

On 28/09/2022 at 14:40, old tup said:

The cottages were two adjoined buildings right outside the gates to the Silver Mill on the other side of the very narrow lane!.They were the only cottages on Club Mill Lane apart from one a few hundred yards further on towards Hillfoot occupied by an old couple named Woods!.If my memory serves me right the one furthest away from Hillfoot was occupied by the Wilcockson family,after that all the buildings were business premises ending with Hattersley and Ridge and then the Power Station area right on to Wardsend Graveyard!.

Always wondered about the public footpath that ran down the side of Wilcockson's,   was it cut off illegally it was open for well over a hundred years as shown on early maps.

On 10/11/2022 at 20:21, retep said:

Always wondered about the public footpath that ran down the side of Wilcockson's,   was it cut off illegally it was open for well over a hundred years as shown on early maps.

The footpath ran from the side and rear of Wilcocksons cottages up to the railway bridge where the gocart track was built!.It was covered by the ash and slag tip upon where the track was situated,at the bottom end of which another path led down to Club Mill Lane so there was two to pick from,the second one at the bottom had two natural stone carved gateposts so maybe that was the original one !.I used them both as a kid on my way home at night from Parkwood Springs where all my schoolpals lived,I used to roam miles as a kid never thought much about it our old boy used to go mad with me on the many times I dissapeared to be brought home by the boys in blue!.I could write you a book on some of the escapades I got up to some I have already posted in the recent past!.

34 minutes ago, old tup said:

The footpath ran from the side and rear of Wilcocksons cottages up to the railway bridge where the gocart track was built!.It was covered by the ash and slag tip upon where the track was situated,at the bottom end of which another path led down to Club Mill Lane so there was two to pick from,the second one at the bottom had two natural stone carved gateposts so maybe that was the original one !.I used them both as a kid on my way home at night from Parkwood Springs where all my schoolpals lived,I used to roam miles as a kid never thought much about it our old boy used to go mad with me on the many times I dissapeared to be brought home by the boys in blue!.I could write you a book on some of the escapades I got up to some I have already posted in the recent past!.

Waiting for more Tup love these Sheffield stories about proper people