Issue after having work done

We recently had a new bathroom fitted.

The plumber was a bit of a shirker and cut corners on certain things.

Anyway, all of the seal around the bath has started to split because he didn't fill the bath when he did it(I questioned him on this and he said it didn't need to be). Anyway it now needs resealing and he isn't responding to texts. He finished the work about 2 wks ago.

Can he ignore me and refuse to fix it or is he legally obliged to rectify it?

Thanks

....I think you mean a bodger not a plumber.........move on find someone else! good tradesmen are hard to find!

I have sealed around my bath, I have never filled it with water. What has it been sealed with, I guess you won't be able to tell.

The problem may be that the bath does not have the correct support or is too far away from the walls.

If he was a shirker, would you be better off getting someone else to fix it. Is he a qualified plumber?

I have sealed around my bath, I have never filled it with water. What has it been sealed with, I guess you won't be able to tell.

The problem may be that the bath does not have the correct support or is too far away from the walls.

If he was a shirker, would you be better off getting someone else to fix it. Is he a qualified plumber?

Exactly this. Depends on movement in floor and distance from the wall. Even filling it isn’t going to guarantee a decent seal if the floor moves too much and it hasn’t been installed correctly

Exactly this. Depends on movement in floor and distance from the wall. Even filling it isn’t going to guarantee a decent seal if the floor moves too much and it hasn’t been installed correctly

best way is to fit a seal under the tiles that will take up the movement when filled.

No need to fill the bath with modern sealant . Make sure the bath legs are all down solid on floor shove bath as tight to wall as poss then screw bath firmly to wall with bath lugs on bath prob need rawl plugs in to wall . Clean of all old sealant throughly . Now get masking tape stick it round bath 12mm from wall then mask 12mm up wall use hot hair dryer to make sure everything is dry before you mask important. Now get masking gun put in a tube bath sealant in and not the cheap stuff no good lasts a month . Run sealant round bath then wet your finger pushing sealant in and round bath making neat as poss . leave 1 min take tape off . Now do not touch sealant again under any condition until dry :roll:

bath should be fitted ,if any movement in the bath filled up seal if no movement seal the bath leave to dry , then tile and seal again ,,,,

It’s advisable to fill the bath when sealing just in case of any slight movement as the bath stands nowadays sometimes have minor movement. When I was doing it I always filled the bath and never had any problem call backs.

Even bath companies recommended you fill the bath when sealing around it= https://www.bigbathroomshop.co.uk/info/blog/how-to-seal-around-the-bath/

Posts have been removed as they could be seen to breach forum Ts & Cs.

The personal comments can stop now.

If you cant be helpful to the OP without acting like children then please dont post.

Edited by nikki-red

Posts have been removed as they could be seen to breach forum Ts & Cs.

The personal comments can stop now.

If you cant be helpful to the OP without acting like children then please dont post.

And why was my post removed? It was explaining why water in the bath is advisable.

And why was my post removed? It was explaining why water in the bath is advisable.

Because unfortunately when we remove posts, if anyone has quoted them those posts have to go too.

Its unavoidable Im afraid.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Now lets get back to advising the OP please.