Should Radio Hallam have its own separate Wikipedia article?

Should 'Radio Hallam' have a separate Wikipedia article to Hallam FM?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Should 'Radio Hallam' have a separate Wikipedia article to Hallam FM?

• YES
    • NO
    • NOT SURE

I have noticed that the history of Radio Hallam gets very little mention under the Hallam FM Wikipedia article and that 'notable presenters' from that period, when the station was known as Radio Hallam, are being removed.

The reason being because they do not have their own Wikipedia article, so they cannot therefore be classed as 'notable presenters.' Presenters such as: Johnny Moran, Roger Moffat, Beverley Chubb, Colin Slade, Ray Stuart and others, who were staple presenters of the station in its early life, are being removed.

There used to be two articles, one for Radio Hallam and another for Hallam FM, but in 2007/8, someone decided to merge the two articles together.

There is very little history now in the Hallam FM article re Radio Hallam period. No mention of the wonderful 'Radio Hallam Money Mountain Appeal', that was run every year, which must have raised an incredible amount of money for children in the local region.

It seems we have a bunch of hatchet men going through Wikipedia, including radio stations, who are simply wiping the names of famous radio presenters, who they have never heard of just because these wonderful djs do not have their own Wiki articles to link to. You have to remember that well known local radio presenters of old, before the internet, may not be known to the wider world, but my, they were iconic and incredibly well known and familiar radio personalities in their own right back in the day in Sheffield.

What I want is some feedback from people who loved 'Radio Hallam' back in the day. We're not talking about Hallam FM, what it became. Nothing anti Hallam FM. All I am bothered about is the history or story of Radio Hallam on Wikipedia.

Currently it is extremely short and almost non existent, with huge name presenters not getting a note and being removed if added.

What do you think? I think that there really needs to be a separate article for Radio Hallam. If we can get some agreement here then we are less likely that a separate article would be rejected or removed at a later stage - at will by these Wikipedia hatchet men, who have absolutely no idea of how magic Radio Hallam was in the beginning, prior to it becoming Hallam FM.

Edited by diezeltruck

Why not write it yourself. I'd advise the use of paragraphs. :)

In the history page, the editor is identified (Acabashi)

There is a link that will take you to his/her page and a "talk" tab where you can communicate directly with them.

Why not have a chat with them as to what you want and what you will need to do in order to avoid repeated editing of submissions.

Shocked that Roger Moffat isn't included in the list of past notable presenters, presumably because he doesn't have his own wiki page. That's a bit of a shock in itself.

In the history page, the editor is identified (Acabashi)

There is a link that will take you to his/her page and a "talk" tab where you can communicate directly with them.

Why not have a chat with them as to what you want and what you will need to do in order to avoid repeated editing of submissions.

Many thanks for your input. Unfortunately, I have already raised a dispute in recent years re notable presenters being removed. It was agreed that so long as references or citations can be linked to a past presenter of the station, even if they do not have their own Wikipedia article, then that would be acceptable. But, even after this agreement, notable past presenters are still being removed. They are not being removed by Wikipedia, but by people who simply do not realise how well known these presenters were. There is now a note under 'notable presenters' in the Hallam FM article stating that all names will be removed if their names do not link to their own Wikipedia article. There are no rules on this by Wikipedia, so these people are just taking it upon themselves to lay the rules down. Even the likes of Dave Kilner, who was a great servant of, Radio Hallam, does not have his own Wikipedia article, so because of that is not deemed as a notable presenter. It is laughable beyond belief.

Edited by diezeltruck

Roger Moffat should be mentioned on some Good Sheffield Pub Guide of the 70's LOL;)

Seriously though, I did rather like Radio Hallam. Some tunes that I can still hear from their early days are January, How Long and Miss Grace . It seemed like those songs were played 2 or 3 times a day.

Remember winning a box set of Elvis records on Johnny Moran's show. He asked for as many Elvis songs beginning with B as you could think of. I suppose I must have got the most.:cool:

Roger Moffat should be mentioned on some Good Sheffield Pub Guide of the 70's LOL;)

Seriously though, I did rather like Radio Hallam. Some tunes that I can still hear from their early days are January, How Long and Miss Grace . It seemed like those songs were played 2 or 3 times a day.

Remember winning a box set of Elvis records on Johnny Moran's show. He asked for as many Elvis songs beginning with B as you could think of. I suppose I must have got the most.:cool:

Wasn't it Roger Moffat that upset a lot of listeners by suggesting that Elvis should be stuffed soon after his death? Not an isolated phenomenon. :)

Shocked that Roger Moffat isn't included in the list of past notable presenters, presumably because he doesn't have his own wiki page. That's a bit of a shock in itself.

It is unbelievable that the likes of Roger Moffat and Dave Kilner do not have their own Wiki pages. The Wikipedia rules do not suggest, though, that they have to, to be listed. So long as they are linked or cited to an article that is respected or regarded as truthful, then that is all you need to include. No blogs are allowed as references. I linked most of the presenters I added to the Hallam Memories internet page, set up by former Radio Hallam disc jockey/presenter, Michael Lindsay, following their 40th Radio Hallam reunion in 2014.

---------- Post added 02-02-2017 at 17:04 ----------

Wonderful memories of a most wonderful radio station.

---------- Post added 02-02-2017 at 17:28 ----------

Gerry Kersey, who began at Radio Hallam, I think, in the late 1970's, who now presents for Radio Sheffield, has no Wiki page of his own. So, even GK, would be removed and not be classed as a 'notable presenter'.

Edited by diezeltruck

Radio hallam was a breath of fresh air

good news section with a magazine format in the morning.

I seem to remember Johnny Moran on a Friday night introducing the first golden oldies slot I can remember well before others

other notables were Bill Crozier and Everard Davy

Radio hallam was a breath of fresh air

good news section with a magazine format in the morning.

I seem to remember Johnny Moran on a Friday night introducing the first golden oldies slot I can remember well before others

other notables were Bill Crozier and Everard Davy

Johnny Moran came from Radio One and was the very first Radio Hallam presenter on 1st October, 1974. He was a presenter of the station for a good decade into the mid eighties. I recall, Everard Davey and Bill Crozier. Other presenters like Kelly Temple, Freddie J. Allen, Brenda Ellison were well known presenters of the station too. Mike Rouse with his excellent Flying Pizza Show on a Saturday afternoon in the mid 70's, when he first started the show, following Ray Stuart's Top 30/40 Chart Singles Show, which counted down the top singles from the local area.

Edited by diezeltruck

Many thanks for your input. Unfortunately, I have already raised a dispute in recent years re notable presenters being removed. It was agreed that so long as references or citations can be linked to a past presenter of the station, even if they do not have their own Wikipedia article, then that would be acceptable. But, even after this agreement, notable past presenters are still being removed. They are not being removed by Wikipedia, but by people who simply do not realise how well known these presenters were. There is now a note under 'notable presenters' in the Hallam FM article stating that all names will be removed if their names do not link to their own Wikipedia article. There are no rules on this by Wikipedia, so these people are just taking it upon themselves to lay the rules down. Even the likes of Dave Kilner, who was a great servant of, Radio Hallam, does not have his own Wikipedia article, so because of that is not deemed as a notable presenter. It is laughable beyond belief.

Things change.

There are rules on notable individuals that are being used to remove edits.

Read the links on the history tab.

Wiki has become too big to satisfy everyone.

Get accreditation as a star editor and you can control things at the level that you want.

Then, of course, you could just accept that Wiki is not the font of all knowledge and set up your own Radio Hallam website/page.

Edited by cgksheff

This is what Wikipedia says: "Wikipedia's purpose is to "benefit readers by acting as an encyclopedia, a comprehensive written compendium that contains information on all branches of knowledge."

Also, Wikipedia:Editing policy:

"Be cautious with major changes: discuss

Be cautious with major changes: consider discussing them first. With large proposed deletions or replacements, it may be best to suggest changes in a discussion, to prevent edit warring and disillusioning either other editors or yourself (if your hard work is rejected by others). One person's improvement is another's desecration, and nobody likes to see their work "destroyed" without prior notice. If you choose to be very bold, take extra care to justify your changes in detail on the article talk page. This will make it less likely that editors will end up reverting the article back and forth between their preferred versions."