"Roger And Out" at the Frog & Parrot

Roger and Out was indeed served by the third and I found it rather sweet and 'treacly'.

not like "beer" really sort of barley wine meets port or similar

could you make this picture a bit bigger please...:hihi:

NO you click it :)

They also used to have a real Parrot in their if memory serves me right

I used to work in the Frog and Parrot in the late 80's.The people who came in were great, but the landlord was a horrid person to work for and very full of himself.

We used to have to wear a very demeaning barmaid's outfit of an old fashioned serving wench.This consisted of green top with puffed sleeves, long checked skirt and serving apron.I used to die a thousand times when someone came in and saw me in that outfit.Had to be there to earn some money to bring up my son.I only worked evenings.Oh God, and did I mention the mob cap we had to wear too?It was the worst.The whole outfit made you look seven sizes bigger than you were.

There did used to be a parrot but it died, which they then replaced with a stuffed one for a while.

Roger and out was served in wine type glasses which were a third of a pint, it was like port and stout mixed.

Quite a few famous faces came to sample the ale, and I did uesd to get invited to a fair few gigs at city hall etc, but meanie old Roger wouldn't ever let me leave early to catch the acts.

They also used to have a real Parrot in their if memory serves me right

I remember the parrot was so stressed out by all the drunken attention it got, it had pecked out most of its feathers. Not surprised it died. Great pub at the time though.

I remember the parrot was so stressed out by all the drunken attention it got

Most birds feel like this down town on a Saturday evening!:hihi:

I'd forgotten about the outfits whitehorses kindly reminded me of in her post.

Well, as an 18 year old I was impressed with them; another reason to visit what was a fantastic pub.

Division Street - Greene King pub.
Hi Was this pub called the Prince of Wales at one time ? Arthur.

Our lass is related to Rogers (landlords) wife. They still have a parrot, it's alive and well and living in Aston (and so are they). This raises the question - was the parrot playing possum?

Yes Arthur, it was the Prince of Wales up to 1982. I remember 'Roger and Out' tasting something like a bad English fortified wine. Horrible stuff. If memory serves me well, when it got the award of the world's strongest beer, it was 17.4%, but in later years fell to a mere 11-13% :).

'Reckless' was about 4.5% as I recall; I'd need to look through a few old CAMRA guides from the early 90's to verify. My favourite in there was 6.6%, and called 'Roger's Conqueror' (OG 1066), and drank like a full flavoured mild.

The brewhouse hasn't been used for a few years now.

Before Roger had the Frog & Parrot he had the pub on Leopold St, the one you used to go downstaires to, can't remember the name, the one opposite All bar one, I used to be in there every dinnertime from work supping with him at the bar, he was a right character & definitely your typical old-fashioned landlord type, he always used to say how he wanted to brew his own beer.

I used to go & see him in the Frog but only sampled the Roger & Out once & that was enough for me, I always remember my fingers sticking to the glass & didn't drink it all cos' my mouth started to go numb & i could hardly stand up.

Respect to Roger tho', as he certainly made a name for himself. :thumbsup: