Coppen estates home insurance penalties?

Sorry to bump the thread. We're in a Coppen leasehold property too, we gave notice of cover and paid the fee, not a problem. We get charged the same fee year on year though, is that correct? Do you need to give notice every year? I can't find anything in the legislation to clarify, it just says within 14 days of "a date"

If you study section 7.3 in the free guide by LEASE , there is no fee to pay.:

https://www.lease-advice.org/advice-guide/service-charges-other-issues/#27

I agree. Coppen has charged a fee wrongly here.

---------- Post added 17-11-2018 at 20:04 ----------

Sorry to bump the thread. We're in a Coppen leasehold property too, we gave notice of cover and paid the fee, not a problem. We get charged the same fee year on year though, is that correct? Do you need to give notice every year? I can't find anything in the legislation to clarify, it just says within 14 days of "a date"

Yes- the s.164 Notice needs to be served annually.

On 11/17/2018 at 8:04 PM, Jeffrey Shaw said:

I agree. Coppen has charged a fee wrongly here.

---------- Post added 17-11-2018 at 20:04 ----------

Yes- the s.164 Notice needs to be served annually.

So as long as I serve proper notice I shouldn't pay the charge?

5 hours ago, bigrbuk said:

So as long as I serve proper notice I shouldn't pay the charge?

Yes, as I posted. Coppen relies on you not knowing!

Yep, they can ask you to pay a fee, but if you follow correct procedure you do not have to.

Won't stop them asking for it though.

For many cases of "leasehold house" ,  the land site  only  belongs to the freeholder and whilst  the house belongs to the tenant.  

So the tenant  pays  annual  ground rent  for being on the land belonging to the landowner.  The building insurance  cover  for the house  should belong to the tenant and  tenant has no need to pay the freeholder 's  chosen insurer . 

You should report this matter to   FMA  ( Financial Markets Authority. )

Edited by topflat29

On 11/23/2018 at 6:40 PM, topflat29 said:

The building insurance  cover  for the house  should belong to the tenant and  tenant has no need to pay the freeholder 's  chosen insurer .

This is legally incorrect. Please post such material only if you know it to be right.

On 13/11/2018 at 21:54, bigrbuk said:

Worth pointing out that even though I have sent the correct notice of cover every year fro the last 3/4 years, Coppen still include the charge on my invoice.   I have sent them numerous letters telling them that they are wrong to do this, but they never reply.   The last couple of years I have sent them a cheque for the ground rent only,  with a covering letter stating that acceptance of the cheque is on condition that it is full and final payment of everything in the invoice.  They still continue to  include the charge, together with arrears and an admin charge!

I am expecting my annual invoice in the next couple of weeks and anticipate it will still have the charges on it.

I hope you intend to sack them off as soon as possible

23 hours ago, kporter229 said:

Worth pointing out that even though I have sent the correct notice of cover every year fro the last 3/4 years, Coppen still include the charge on my invoice.   I have sent them numerous letters telling them that they are wrong to do this, but they never reply.   The last couple of years I have sent them a cheque for the ground rent only,  with a covering letter stating that acceptance of the cheque is on condition that it is full and final payment of everything in the invoice.  They still continue to  include the charge, together with arrears and an admin charge!

I am expecting my annual invoice in the next couple of weeks and anticipate it will still have the charges on it.

I think I posted upthread, or on another Coppen thread - I sent them a strongly worded letter threatening court action if they continued to send erroneous invoices and I saw this as a breach of my right to quiet enjoyment of my home. This was harassment and I would seek damages due to the stress caused etc.  

It was something of an idle threat - I mean, it would cost vastly more to engage legally with them and there's always the chance the court won't award costs. But it did the trick. Perhaps because I sounded like I knew what I was talking about and had actually read my lease? 

But...I ended up buying the freehold reversion anyway. I didn't want potential buyers in the future getting spooked by their antics. As geared put it, sack them off if you can.