Key Keg Beer - the great debate

you're right though - you do have a choice - and besides, the whole key-keg argument is off topic to dada itself

It's certainly true that cask v key-keg is a subject worthy of a thread in it's own right. And what's more I would dare to suggest that people on this forum will talk a lot more sense on the subject then your average beer blogger!

I guess one issue for me is people trying a key-keg beer, baulking at the price and blaming the pub selling it, when in fact they are just passing on the high costs from the brewers who make key-keg beer.

As others have mentioned, if you have the choice of cheaper beer.........

I've created this new thread (from the DaDa thread) as we've had a few different threads mentioning Key-Keg beer and the higher prices.

I don't understand this - they have developed something better but the only benefit is it costs more? Or am I missing the point?

I've created this new thread (from the DaDa thread) as we've had a few different threads mentioning Key-Keg beer and the higher prices.

I don't understand this - they have developed something better but the only benefit is it costs more? Or am I missing the point?

I don't think you are missing the point.

This is how keykeg is sold to breweries -

"Reduction of costs and capital investment

25% more beer per transport and no return shipments

Extra capacity during peak periods no expensive extra keg pool

No loss or damage of steel kegs anymore

Cleaning and administration costs are no longer necessary

No storage of empty kegs

And last but not least the KeyKeg® is cheap!

New marketing opportunities"

Yet it is sold to customers (drinkers) at a massive mark-up because it's "innovative"

If it looks like a rip off, and sounds like a rip off and tastes like a rip off.......

its a ludicrous amount of money for a pint.

its a ludicrous amount of money for a pint.

Sorry if I am out of the loop but what is Key-Keg beer??

it's a swizz, that's what it is.

Key keg is a rip off in my view. I defy anyone who is involved in this "innovative and exciting product" (as those who are involved in its production class it) to come on here and explain why it should cost so much more for a product which tastes inferior and costs the producers less. In any other industry this wouldnt happen yet for some reason in the beer industry it seems acceptable. One argument seems to be that the beer lasts longer and travels better so it can be enjoyed by more people further away. That seems reasonable but doesnt explain why local brewers are using it in their local pubs ie Thornbridge. Seems like profiteering to me.

Edited by Stormy

it's a swizz, that's what it is.

Ok but WHAT IS IT!!!!!!

So what is the official 'campaign' line?

Let me guess, there isn't one.

Good question. There's a lot of misinformation out there from both the advocates and denigrators of key-keg beer so it can get confusing.

It's a way of serving beer that means you can have cold fizzy beer that's also unfiltered and unpasteurised like a real ale. Hopefully the below blogpost by a former Thornbridge brewer should be of some use here.

http://beerevolution.wordpress.com/2010/09/30/lets-brew-a-lager/

Personally I think it's miles better then regular kegged beer. You get much more flavour and character then you do with regular kegged beer.

However, I do not prefer it to proper cask ale. I don't think beer needs to be cold and fizzy. The best key-keg beer I've had is Brewdog Punk IPA and even then I prefer it on cask.

And that's before we even get to the cost issue.

basically the sheep who have flocked towards the craft beer movement (who generally are pretty stupid and easily influenced) are happy to pay massively inflated prices to drink in the trendier bars, which fleece them accordingly.

and that's probably the reason for brewing it Sharp87.

I imagine the strategy is to make their beers available in places that aren't generally known for serving real ale. Your city centre trendy venues and such. There's no chance that some of these places will have the time, knowledge or patience to handle real ale and al the messing around that comes with that. But if the brewery could supply them with an easy to manage version that was highly profitable to them, then it's a win-win for both them and the brewery.

And the customer? Well, those who think that Stella and Carling and Fosters are good beers will be the likely targets. And unlike real ale, it's not really possible to pour a bad one because there's relatively little to go wrong with it.

Does it taste better than other keg beer - yes, by a million miles it does. Does it taste better than real ale - no - providing you are talking about a pub that takes care to serve its real ales properly. (And regrettably there are so many pubs now that stick a couple of hand pulls on just to say they've got real ale but have no idea how to keep it and serve it).

I tried some of this key keg - it is nice - but priced extortionately - and the reason why is because it is being introduced alongside the real ale now, in some real ale pubs, but it's ultimately destiny is the urban city bars where people will pay without thinking.