Can you remember your first wage and how much ?

Did it arrive through a brass tube?

Probably gold plated, earning that much entry level money in 1954 :o Guess that's where the profit sharing went. lol

Edited by Ontarian1981

So it wasn't only Banner's that did that ?

Now then, the memory is a little hazy but I think they had it at the S&E at the corner of Chesterfield Road and Meersbrook Park Road. Did they have it in the Arcade as well?

Now then, the memory is a little hazy but I think they had it at the S&E at the corner of Chesterfield Road and Meersbrook Park Road. Did they have it in the Arcade as well?

Can't recall where the Arcade was. They might have had those tubes at the S&E at Ecclesall Road/Cemetery Road tho' I only ever went in there once.

Can't recall where the Arcade was. They might have had those tubes at the S&E at Ecclesall Road/Cemetery Road tho' I only ever went in there once.

I see, a B&C man. :)

The S&E at Ecclesall Road/Cemetery Road was known as the Arcade. Sounds better than t'stoors.

You are probably talking about Lamson Pneumatic Tubes, however there were also spring loaded service tubes. The former was activated by placing a brass canister containing cash and documentation into a tube and pressing a button, the latter travelled overhead and was once again a brass canister, but was placed in a cradle, a handle was pulled that tensioned the spring, and finally letting go of the handle propelled the tube. Both systems were used to send money and documents to a cashier, rather than having loads of tills on the shop floor. There was virtually zero pilfering, because if there were it would be 100% the cashier who was the thief.

On 16/03/2018 at 21:59, EdmundH said:

kkkkkkkkkkkkkk

On 24/10/2009 at 19:08, shaznay said:

I wonder who will be able to come on with the earliest wage packet...:huh:

they will be showing their age then wont they:D

Hi there, my first wage was £3,17,sixpence in 1956 I could go out have a great night for couple quid.

11 minutes ago, bazza63 said:

Hi there, my first wage was £3,17,sixpence in 1956 I could go out have a great night for couple quid.

Sevenpence farthing an hour for 44 hours. 8 hours a day Monday to Friday, and 8 to noon Saturdays.

Apprentice electrician, F.H. Wheeler, 1954.

Barclays Bank 1960. Salary £295 per annum.   After tax etc, came to £20-2-4d a month.

41 minutes ago, scrapper said:

yts scheme 25 in 1982

Appretince  bricklayer 1958  £2 . 8    4 pence  Tomlinsons    Builders       Beighton village