The Sheffield gay scene part 2

Its a sex-app. I wonder how many good friends you have found on there lol

I don't think that's fair. Not everyone on Grindr is the "NSA" type. There's plenty of guys on there that just want to make friends, new social contacts etc.

There's plenty of uni students using it as well.

I got to know one of my neighbours who lives in the same apartment block through Grindr.

I think so. Do you mean the café on the Moor, which occasionally puts on theatre performances

The LGBT cafe used to be there, but now they've lost the space for some reason.

The LGBT cafe used to be there, but now they've lost the space for some reason.

Is that the shop that had artwork on the glass?

Is that the shop that had artwork on the glass?

Used to be Woolworths. Blimey, that feels like such a long time ago!

---------- Post added 17-09-2017 at 21:27 ----------

Did anyone find out what happened to the planned 'Sheffield LGBT Quarter' plans? It was on Twitter and Facebook for a while, then vanished.

---------- Post added 17-09-2017 at 21:29 ----------

Its over a 10 minute walk from West street according to google, and everything around it is closed and the area deserted at that time of night. Which is why they do a great taxi trade straight outside it! Feels totally unsafe.

I can't say I've ever felt unsafe at the bottom of the Moor. West Street on the other hand...

Used to be Woolworths. Blimey, that feels like such a long time ago!

---------- Post added 17-09-2017 at 21:27 ----------

Did anyone find out what happened to the planned 'Sheffield LGBT Quarter' plans? It was on Twitter and Facebook for a while, then vanished.

---------- Post added 17-09-2017 at 21:29 ----------

I can't say I've ever felt unsafe at the bottom of the Moor. West Street on the other hand...

There have been so many rumours about an 'LGBT Quarter' in Sheffield over the years. I'm old enough to remember when there was talk of Pond Street as a gay hub that would rival Manchester's Canal Street....

I don't know where these rumours come from....Possibly disgruntled residents of Sheffield peed off at the lack of a gay scene in Sheffield.

There have been so many rumours about an 'LGBT Quarter' in Sheffield over the years. I'm old enough to remember when there was talk of Pond Street as a gay hub that would rival Manchester's Canal Street....

I don't know where these rumours come from....Possibly disgruntled residents of Sheffield peed off at the lack of a gay scene in Sheffield.

A few months back there was a person publishing CAD drawings and plans for bars/venues at the bottom of the Moor, giving updates etc. All going swimmingly it seemed, then just vanished.

http://www.thegayquarter.co.uk/

Back from the dead it seems, promising construction about to begin on new 'gay' (that's LGBT to you and me) bars, shop and....sauna!

Thanks for posting this biro!

I only hope that something tangible emerges from this, & is not another rumour designed to leave people disappointed.

Got to say, it'd be good if the bottom of the Moor became the new 'gay quarter'. It'd definitely help revamp the area.

Is it really necessary to have a "gay quarter"?

We're not an endangered species in need of our own geographic quarter!

If Leeds can have one, why not here?

It's not necessary, just like lots of things aren't necessary, but it would improve things for lots of people.

If Leeds can have one, why not here?

Because people in Leeds have money to spend. That's why Leeds has Harvey Nichols, Habitat, House of Frazer as well as Queen's court. Where Sheffield has none of those, it did have Habitat and HOF, but both closed down a long time ago.