Why Does Parliament Close Down For Six Weeks In The Summer

As the title says, why does Westminster close for six weeks in the summer. I assume there is a reason for this to happen. If we can survive without our Parasitic MP's sitting for a month and a half, perhaps they can have another extended holiday in the winter time. Maybe a reduction in their pay would then be required, say 20%.

Angel1.

to allow time for the free bars etc to be filled back up

As the title says, why does Westminster close for six weeks in the summer. I assume there is a reason for this to happen. If we can survive without our Parasitic MP's sitting for a month and a half, perhaps they can have another extended holiday in the winter time. Maybe a reduction in their pay would then be required, say 20%.

Angel1.

Same reason as the schools?

I thought the school break was traditionally so that kids could help with crop harvesting.

Although I suppose MPs might have wanted to make sure the kids were working their land while they sat on their behinds.

Of course in reality, many MPs spend time on constituency case work and door knocking during the summer.

I remember a Spitting Image sketch in which MP's were allowed to bring in their toys on the last day of Parliament :0D

Angel1.

The poor little darlings get SOOO tired sitting on their arses all day counting their money that they need a rest. Dont forget that we will soon be getting another break while they go on their jollies in conference season, then it will be Christmas followed by easter.

So that they can contribute to the summer harvest? Possible I suppose, but then why doesn't everyone have 6 weeks off for the same historical reason?

The poor little darlings get SOOO tired sitting on their arses all day counting their money that they need a rest. Dont forget that we will soon be getting another break while they go on their jollies in conference season, then it will be Christmas followed by easter.

Don't MPs earn about £70k basic? Not really that much compared to a lot of company execs.

Don't MPs earn about £70k basic? Not really that much compared to a lot of company execs.

But company execs are usually qualified in some way or have experience in running a business. MP's are usually chosen by a political party and put up for election despite the fact they may not have any experience or qualifications at all.

Edited by apelike