Disabled benefits cut have caused a 'human catastrophe'

It's what a lot of disabled people have been trying to get across for a long time.

Now, the findings of an inquiry published today by the United Nations agrees, and says 'the British Government is systematically violating the rights of disabled people.' And Government's cuts to disabled benefits and services has caused a 'human catastrophe.'

Even if you don't need it now, there will hardly be a person reading this who won't need help at some stage in their lives, and I have to tell them that it's simply no longer there.

In a civilised and relatively wealthy country like ours surely this is an ongoing disgrace? You might like to bear the disastrous Tory policies in mind at the next election.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/un-report-disability-disabled-rights-violating-austerity-welfare-reform-esa-pip-a7404956.html

Edited by Anna B

It's what a lot of disabled people have been trying to get across for a long time.

Now, the findings of an inquiry published today by the United Nations agrees, and says 'the British Government is systematically violating the rights of disabled people.' And Government's cuts to disabled benefits and services has caused a 'human catastrophe.'

Even if you don't need it now, there will hardly be a person reading this who won't need help at some stage in their lives, and I have to tell them that it's simply no longer there.

In a civilised and relatively wealthy country like ours surely this is an ongoing disgrace? You might like to bear the disastrous Tory policies in mind at the next election.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/un-report-disability-disabled-rights-violating-austerity-welfare-reform-esa-pip-a7404956.html

To compound the issue even further, I have read that it is costing more to chase the disabled and trying to reduce their benefits than what they are saving. Moreover it is also written, on appeal 68% of those who's benefits are stopped/reduced win their case and have their benefits reinstated. The whole process is simply madness, what the heck is it all about.

Angel1.

To compound the issue even further, I have read that it is costing more to chase the disabled and trying to reduce their benefits than what they are saving. Moreover it is also written, on appeal 68% of those who's benefits are stopped/reduced win their case and have their benefits reinstated. The whole process is simply madness, what the heck is it all about.
Cashflow management.

Angel1.

I thought they were going to 'fix' that by making it harder or nearly impossible to appeal.

I dunno how relevant these articles are now:-

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/secret-government-plan-charge-disabled-7798786

https://www.disabledgo.com/blog/2017/08/uk-judges-rule-dwp-wrong-to-deny-appeals-over-refused-benefits/#.WaAWhulK1EY

Edited by dangerousedd

Too many idiots generally were taken in by the rhetoric that everybody claiming benefits was a scrounger. They voted for a Tory government to sort it out and punish those that were deemed to be stealing, only to find out that those scroungers were actually themselves, their friends and their families.

How long to the next election?

You'd think that the United Nations would have a million other things to sort out before they start worrying about the UK.

Angel1.

Apparently after Iain Duncan Smith visited a housing estate in Glasgow, he had a Damascene conversion from hard nosed right winger to social reformer.

Bob Holman, a lifelong campaigner on poverty, who accompanied Smith on his visit to Glasgow's Easterhouse Estate, said Smith wept at the sight of the deprivation. Holman thinks IDS was 'seduced by power'.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/08/duncan-smith-poverty-benefit-sanctions-easterhouse

Perhaps Smith, apparently a religious man, and an admirer of Margaret Thatcher, thought he wanted a moral purpose to his leadership of the Conservative Party; like she believed she had a moral purpose to her leadership?

Too many idiots generally were taken in by the rhetoric that everybody claiming benefits was a scrounger. They voted for a Tory government to sort it out and punish those that were deemed to be stealing, only to find out that those scroungers were actually themselves, their friends and their families.

How long to the next election?

It's very effective though.

Just read some of the posts on this forum - everyone knows someone who they think is milking the system.

In the 3 short years from 2011 to 2014, 2,380 people died after their claim for employment and support allowance ended because a work capability assessment found they were found fit for work.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/aug/27/thousands-died-after-fit-for-work-assessment-dwp-figures

Apparently after Iain Duncan Smith visited a housing estate in Glasgow, he had a Damascene conversion from hard nosed right winger to social reformer.

Bob Holman, a lifelong campaigner on poverty, who accompanied Smith on his visit to Glasgow's Easterhouse Estate, said Smith wept at the sight of the deprivation. Holman thinks IDS was 'seduced by power'.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/08/duncan-smith-poverty-benefit-sanctions-easterhouse

Perhaps Smith, apparently a religious man, and an admirer of Margaret Thatcher, thought he wanted a moral purpose to his leadership of the Conservative Party; like she believed she had a moral purpose to her leadership?

It's very effective though.

Just read some of the posts on this forum - everyone knows someone who they think is milking the system.

In the 3 short years from 2011 to 2014, 2,380 people died after their claim for employment and support allowance ended because a work capability assessment found they were found fit for work.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/aug/27/thousands-died-after-fit-for-work-assessment-dwp-figures

How did they die? How many on disabilty have died in the same period? How has moving them from one benefit to another caused there death? How many people claiming job seekers have died in the same period?

I agree cuts have been too deep (ive been dealing with a very stretched NHS recently and its struggling and not coping well at all) but this looks like something to beat the government with whilst ignoring a whole host of other issues.

How did they die? How many on disabilty have died in the same period? How has moving them from one benefit to another caused there death? How many people claiming job seekers have died in the same period?

I agree cuts have been too deep (ive been dealing with a very stretched NHS recently and its struggling and not coping well at all) but this looks like something to beat the government with whilst ignoring a whole host of other issues.

Wasn't there a very detailed report on this which gave facts and figures etc which was hushed up by the government? Can't remember what it was called now, but it was a real hot potato at the time.

You'd think that the United Nations would have a million other things to sort out before they start worrying about the UK.

maybe we should leave the UN too, and give the money to Our NHS instead ?

Did I hear that the DWP staff who enact these policies are (or have been) on strike?

Do they have a picket line we can go and hurl abuse express our opinions at?

The 2,380 people who died were figures from the DWP, which they fought tooth & nail to keep confidential, but IIRC were forced by the courts & the Information Commissioner to publish.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the DWP have now stopped collecting such data.