Sheffield Pals JULY 1ST 1916

Today please spare a thought for the sheffield pals regiment (12th york and lancs ) who suffered massive casualties today july 1st 1916 in world war one .Rest In Peace .

Today please spare a thought for the sheffield pals regiment (12th york and lancs ) who suffered massive casualties today july 1st 1916 in world war one .Rest In Peace .

Yes, they were virtually totalled, according to my Grandad, who was a Northumberland Fusilier.

They were very brave men. God bless and thank you all.

In June 1915 my grandmothers cousin Rex Warneford became the fist pilot in the Fleet Air Arm to shoot down a zeppelin from an aeroplane. He was awarded VC and French Legion of Honour in same day. He was killed few days later aged 23 in freak accident. He was buried with full military honours in Brompton cemetery in London

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bf/ReginaldWarnefordBrompton.jpg

Edited by denlin

In June 1915 my grandmothers cousin Rex Warneford became the fist pilot in the Fleet Air Arm to shoot down a zeppelin from an aeroplane. He was awarded VC and French Legion of Honour in same day. He was killed few days later aged 23 in freak accident. He was buried with full military honours in Brompton cemetery in London

I believe that I have seen his grave, it is black granite, and the engraving on it says something about a newspaper having raised money for something.

No, see above post I have added link

No, see above post I have added link

Yes, I saw it too late. There are a lot of famous graves in Brompton Cemetery, including Richard Tauber.

Yes, I saw it too late. There are a lot of famous graves in Brompton Cemetery, including Richard Tauber.

I am hoping to go to see it soon, my grandmother married my grandad when she was 16 and they had 13 children. I only found about Rex recently when my cousin started researching family history. My grandmother never told any of my generation about him.

I am hoping to go to see it soon, my grandmother married my grandad when she was 16 and they had 13 children. I only found about Rex recently when my cousin started researching family history. My grandmother never told any of my generation about him.

You will enjoy it, it is a very interesting place.

All those lads, many of them very young gave their lives for a better England, for a free world and look at the state we are now in.

These heroes should never be forgotten.

A lot of people from all over the world have a lot to thank them for.

5 of my relatives died in the conflict and others were badly injured including my father who was blown up, recovered, and later was gassed at Passchendaale.

Bless em all, the long, the short and the tall.

PopT

These heroes should never be forgotten.

A lot of people from all over the world have a lot to thank them for.

5 of my relatives died in the conflict and others were badly injured including my father who was blown up, recovered, and later was gassed at Passchendaale.

Bless em all, the long, the short and the tall.

PopT

My Grandfather Christopher Smart was on the Somme in 1915, and later at Passchendaale. In 1916 my grandmother died, leaving six children at home, the oldest a sixteen year old girl. My grand father asked for compassionate leave to help them and was refused. He returned home in 1918 without a flesh wound, but terriblly affected with what then was called shell shock. He was admitted to the military wing of Middlewood hospital, where he died in 1938. Such was our treatment of heroes. I served in the Royal Navy for nearly 18 years, and am glad to say we had much better treatment, though never easy.:)