Denby St Nursery

Found it rather sad to see all the rubble yesterday, my kids all went there and had a great time, my thanks to all the staff who worked there.

Anyone know whats going to be built?

Noticed that the car sales lot in front (facing Bramall Lane) had a large Velocity sign, maybe more apartments. Pretty certain it wont be a replacement nursery:(

What an utter shame. This place, coupled with Derby St and Beet St were an invaluable service to the parents with tots who needed support.

But, of course, what was I thinking? (where's the "slaps-head-in-realisation smilie" when you need it!?!) lots of student flats, according to the planners in this city, are much more vital a resource than the desperately needed, under-funded provision for under-fives' ! I can't get my breath. :loopy:

I went here when i was a kid, had some good memories mainly the paddling pools they had. Also Mrs fretwell (sp?) was my teacher back then.:hihi:

I saw that today, a trip down memory lane has been cut short. No Jessops Hospital for Women (son born), No Denby Street Nursery and Meadowhead School has been rebuilt.

We are successfully eradicating the 70s. Even the photos in my photo album are deterioriating.

I went rthere nearly 30 years ago and I still have the class photo that was taken... I remewmber the little buggies cars we went in at playtime. some were old but we used to race to get the new ones. and the milk bottles with thin blue straws. Im trying to think of teachers names... please remind me of the names if anyone can remember..

I always wanted to go back and now i wish I had. just to look around one more time.. feel genuinely saddened

oh my god! just remembered...the coat hangers with pictures?? there was one i always chose.(picture of a stool. how i remembered that i do not know!!!!

I went rthere nearly 30 years ago and I still have the class photo that was taken... I remewmber the little buggies cars we went in at playtime. some were old but we used to race to get the new ones. and the milk bottles with thin blue straws. Im trying to think of teachers names... please remind me of the names if anyone can remember..

I always wanted to go back and now i wish I had. just to look around one more time.. feel genuinely saddened

I remember Mrs Day, being there. She was strict but lovely.

Nearly three years ago my mate Mel did a big installation in Denby Street for her final college project. It was amazing going in there because it looked like the place had been abandoned in an emergency. Every type of clutter was still lying around as if people had just dropped everything and then run off to die in some apocalyptic event somewhere the other side of the ring road. My lasting memorial of the place, however, is my big stash of leftover bits and pieces that the visitors to the installation *freecycled* (with official permission). I ate my dinner tonight off Denby Sreet plates, and Purdy Cat likes to curl up asleep in a Denby Street wooden box with sand in the bottom. I would have had Denby Street marbles too, but I lost them (again).

So sad that it's gone, it was a great building.

Is this it? I only have it named as Denby St mid07

I seem to be putting my pictures on loads of threads, mostly buildings I photographed when I think are due for the chop.:mad:

Yep, lots of memories there.

Glad the items went to good homes, Purdyamos.

Yep, lots of memories there.

Glad the items went to good homes, Purdyamos.

Ah now I know it's that one, it looks almost identical to the old blind institute works formally on Sharrow Lane, and Purdyamos's description reminds of what the blind institute looked like when I may have been inside after it had been abandoned.:suspect::hihi:

I went there! I had Mrs.Goddard as a teacher...can't remember who else :hihi: (I am going back 16/17 years!)