Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Why Does Parliament Close Down For Six Weeks In The Summer

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

05-09-2017, 19:33   #1
ANGELFIRE1

Total Posts: 4,904
As the title says, why does Westminster close for six weeks in the summer. I assume there is a reason for this to happen. If we can survive without our Parasitic MP's sitting for a month and a half, perhaps they can have another extended holiday in the winter time. Maybe a reduction in their pay would then be required, say 20%.

Angel1.
_______
Calm or unflinching in face of trouble, defeat, or loss. May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. If you can read this then thank a teacher. If you can read this in English then thank a soldier!. Walk slowly towards the light, for I will surely follow you, but not just yet.
05-09-2017, 19:35   #2
melthebell
*gets coat*

Total Posts: 54,913
Send a message via MSN to melthebell Send a message via Yahoo to melthebell
to allow time for the free bars etc to be filled back up
_______
Does your wife know what your up to mel when your in your own little world?
05-09-2017, 20:04   #3
Hashim

Total Posts: 87
Good question.
05-09-2017, 20:21   #4
El Cid

Total Posts: 7,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELFIRE1 View Post
As the title says, why does Westminster close for six weeks in the summer. I assume there is a reason for this to happen. If we can survive without our Parasitic MP's sitting for a month and a half, perhaps they can have another extended holiday in the winter time. Maybe a reduction in their pay would then be required, say 20%.

Angel1.
Same reason as the schools?
05-09-2017, 23:17   #5
biotechpete

Total Posts: 3,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
I thought the school break was traditionally so that kids could help with crop harvesting.

Although I suppose MPs might have wanted to make sure the kids were working their land while they sat on their behinds.

Of course in reality, many MPs spend time on constituency case work and door knocking during the summer.
_______
Sapiens nihil affirmat quod non probat
06-09-2017, 08:24   #6
macmellus

Total Posts: 369
I remember a Spitting Image sketch in which MP's were allowed to bring in their toys on the last day of Parliament :0D
06-09-2017, 08:43   #7
alchemist
A typical Tyke

Total Posts: 4,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELFIRE1 View Post

Angel1.
The poor little darlings get SOOO tired sitting on their arses all day counting their money that they need a rest. Dont forget that we will soon be getting another break while they go on their jollies in conference season, then it will be Christmas followed by easter.
06-09-2017, 09:14   #8
Cyclone

Total Posts: 68,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
So that they can contribute to the summer harvest? Possible I suppose, but then why doesn't everyone have 6 weeks off for the same historical reason?
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
Youtube videos, snowboarding, climbing, bad drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...qpXEZMGnJHf3Wg
06-09-2017, 09:23   #9
Andy1976

Total Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemist View Post
The poor little darlings get SOOO tired sitting on their arses all day counting their money that they need a rest. Dont forget that we will soon be getting another break while they go on their jollies in conference season, then it will be Christmas followed by easter.
Don't MPs earn about 70k basic? Not really that much compared to a lot of company execs.
06-09-2017, 14:22   #10
apelike

Total Posts: 3,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1976 View Post
Don't MPs earn about 70k basic? Not really that much compared to a lot of company execs.
But company execs are usually qualified in some way or have experience in running a business. MP's are usually chosen by a political party and put up for election despite the fact they may not have any experience or qualifications at all.
_______
As only 34.7% of the electorate actually voted to remain we will be Going, going gone soon

Last edited by apelike; 06-09-2017 at 14:24.
Reply To Topic