Sheffield Forum

Drivers fined for avoiding emergency vehicles.

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

04-09-2017, 21:54   #1
ivan edake

Total Posts: 331
I have just received my regular E.mail news letter from the RAC.There is an excellent article saying thousands of drivers are being fined for committing offences when moving out of the way to let emergency vehicles through.If a driver goes into a bus lane or a box junction they may collect a fine,if a driver goes through a red light,even very slowly,they may collect a fine plus 3 penalty points.Apparently rule 219 says drivers should move out of the way for emergency vehicles but all rules of the road will still apply and therefore drivers are liable to prosecution when breaking them.Drivers can of course appeal if they think they have been badly treated but it is by no means certain the appeal will be successful.It would seem then that the sensible thing for drivers to do is just stop where they are if they have to break the law to make room for the emergency vehicle,after all why should they risk collecting a 100 fine for doing what they think is the correct thing.Drivers should also bear in mind that only the police have the legal right to tell them to move.We have yet another case of the inmates taking over the asylum,the law wants amending.
04-09-2017, 22:19   #2
Puggie

Total Posts: 737
Emergency responders do not expect you to break the law.
04-09-2017, 22:19   #3
tzijlstra

Total Posts: 12,181
No the law is fine and functions. The last thing emergency services want is people putting themselves or others at risk.

It is that simple.
04-09-2017, 22:49   #4
redfox

Total Posts: 851
See -
219.Emergency and Incident Support vehicles. You should look and listen for ambulances, fire engines, police, doctors or other emergency vehicles using flashing blue, red or green lights and sirens or flashing headlights, or Highways Agency Traffic Officer and Incident Support vehicles using flashing amber lights. When one approaches do not panic. Consider the route of such a vehicle and take appropriate action to let it pass, while complying with all traffic signs. If necessary, pull to the side of the road and stop, but try to avoid stopping before the brow of a hill, a bend or narrow section of road. Do not endanger yourself, other road users or pedestrians and avoid mounting the kerb. Do not brake harshly on approach to a junction or roundabout, as a following vehicle may not have the same view as you.

The Highway Code.

I wonder where they get the statistic that thousands are being fined?
04-09-2017, 23:15   #5
tinfoilhat

Total Posts: 13,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox View Post
See -
219.Emergency and Incident Support vehicles. You should look and listen for ambulances, fire engines, police, doctors or other emergency vehicles using flashing blue, red or green lights and sirens or flashing headlights, or Highways Agency Traffic Officer and Incident Support vehicles using flashing amber lights. When one approaches do not panic. Consider the route of such a vehicle and take appropriate action to let it pass, while complying with all traffic signs. If necessary, pull to the side of the road and stop, but try to avoid stopping before the brow of a hill, a bend or narrow section of road. Do not endanger yourself, other road users or pedestrians and avoid mounting the kerb. Do not brake harshly on approach to a junction or roundabout, as a following vehicle may not have the same view as you.

The Highway Code.

Daily Mail, and by statistics it really means made-up horse ****.
_______
We get the world we deserve.
04-09-2017, 23:36   #6
peak4

Total Posts: 813
I've linked to this video before, but this seems an appropriate thread to include it again.

Blue Light Aware video

In my opinion, well worth a few minutes of your time.
_______
Best Wishes To All,
Bill
The nearest thing I have to a home page,
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4
05-09-2017, 00:56   #7
speedway fan

Total Posts: 140
If Puggie and Tzijlstra at posts 2and3 above really believe what they have put, I suggest that the next time they are stuck at red lights and an emergency vehicle comes behind them with siren blaring and lights flashing,they just stay there until the lights change to green and see what happens.They will soon find out they will be expected to break the law.
05-09-2017, 04:20   #8
cgksheff

Total Posts: 22,500
All emergency vehicles are expected to turn off sirens if behind vehicles at red lights.

I have got used to a practice of leaving space between me and the vehicle in front or the solid line. This is to give me chance to manoeuvre should the need arise.

EDIT:
It appears that the stopping of sirens is only policy in some regions and not national.
_______
The 'avatar' that you see with the SF letters and the circle (regardless of colours) has copyright established since 2004.

Last edited by cgksheff; 05-09-2017 at 12:54.
05-09-2017, 07:33   #9
Cyclone

Total Posts: 68,365
I wish that drivers wouldn't automatically stop and freeze when they see a blue light.
The number of times I've been sat at green traffic lights whilst everyone tries to move to the side for an ambulance. Just drive through the now green lights, and then slow/stop where there's actually some room!
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
Youtube videos, snowboarding, climbing, bad drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...qpXEZMGnJHf3Wg
05-09-2017, 11:01   #10
speedway fan

Total Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgksheff View Post
All emergency vehicles are expected to turn off sirens if behind vehicles at red lights.

I have got used to a practice of leaving space between me and the vehicle in front or the solid line. This is to give me chance to manoeuvre should the need arise.
Expected is the operative word here.Emergency vehicle drivers just don't do this,in fact some of them just turn them on in a situation like this,this can be after approaching quietly instead of having warning systems operating at all times,I have even seen them start hooting to try and get vehicles to move.
05-09-2017, 11:04   #11
geared

Total Posts: 12,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox View Post
Could be red light cameras in London, they're all over the place in some areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
I wish that drivers wouldn't automatically stop and freeze when they see a blue light.
The number of times I've been sat at green traffic lights whilst everyone tries to move to the side for an ambulance. Just drive through the now green lights, and then slow/stop where there's actually some room!
This, are they panicking? are they not paying attention? Have they forgotten where they are or what they're doing??

It's even worse when you're on the opposite carriageway and people start slamming their brakes on, even when there's a central reservation between you!!!
05-09-2017, 11:13   #12
ivan edake

Total Posts: 331
I wonder when this rule 219 was brought into operation,I suspect it was decades ago when there was very little traffic on the road and it was quite easy to move to one side.Nowadays roads are chock a block and this is almost an impossibility.Drivers therefore panic and they are not helped by the arrogance of the emergency driver.Of course both the government and councils are happy to collect the fines.
05-09-2017, 12:44   #13
cgksheff

Total Posts: 22,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedway fan View Post
Expected is the operative word here.Emergency vehicle drivers just don't do this,in fact some of them just turn them on in a situation like this,this can be after approaching quietly instead of having warning systems operating at all times,I have even seen them start hooting to try and get vehicles to move.
OK.
Instead of "expected", read required to do so by their operational instructions and guidelines. I have seen sirens switched off when stuck behind vehicles at red lights.
As per my update above, these instructions appear to be policy only in some regions, not national.

But I will still recommend you drive sensibly so that you will always have room to manoeuvre without breaking the law.
_______
The 'avatar' that you see with the SF letters and the circle (regardless of colours) has copyright established since 2004.

Last edited by cgksheff; 05-09-2017 at 12:56.
05-09-2017, 15:49   #14
Waldo

Total Posts: 5,184
I think I'd take the hit and willingly break the law in a safe and appropriate manner, not so much for a police car, but certainly for an ambulance (could be a serious medial emergency for someone).

I'd challenge any ticket; and tell the judge I'd do exactly the same again in future.
_______
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
05-09-2017, 16:09   #15
willman
WYSIWYG

Total Posts: 19,110
Send a message via ICQ to willman Send a message via MSN to willman
We've had this discussion on here before(no surprise there).

It's a personal choice to break the law no matter what the circumstances.
05-09-2017, 19:41   #16
ANGELFIRE1

Total Posts: 4,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
I think I'd take the hit and willingly break the law in a safe and appropriate manner, not so much for a police car, but certainly for an ambulance (could be a serious medial emergency for someone).

I'd challenge any ticket; and tell the judge I'd do exactly the same again in future.
Ditto, always have done, always will do. Maybe that Ambulance is going to one of my family members - who knows?.

Angel1.
_______
Calm or unflinching in face of trouble, defeat, or loss. May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. If you can read this then thank a teacher. If you can read this in English then thank a soldier!. Walk slowly towards the light, for I will surely follow you, but not just yet.
05-09-2017, 19:51   #17
ez8004

Total Posts: 764
The number of people who lack common sense is astounding as shown by this thread. There are many many examples of people being fined for traffic violations because they were making way for the emergency services. However, it is dependent on individual cases if it is correct. If you were in this situation, all you need to do is to go through the appeals process and explain your case. With near certainty, your ticket will be rescinded.

This is no where near as outrageous as some are making it out to be.
05-09-2017, 20:39   #18
tzijlstra

Total Posts: 12,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedway fan View Post
If Puggie and Tzijlstra at posts 2and3 above really believe what they have put, I suggest that the next time they are stuck at red lights and an emergency vehicle comes behind them with siren blaring and lights flashing,they just stay there until the lights change to green and see what happens.They will soon find out they will be expected to break the law.
Will we? Are you an ambulance driver? Because if you are, your comment here probably means you should be sacked on the spot.

Emergency services take road safety of other road-users very seriously and so should you.
05-09-2017, 22:49   #19
Becky B

Total Posts: 2,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Agreed. Especially on dual carriageways! Just move into the left hand lane and let the emergency vehicle pass on the right - you don't always need to stop...
_______
Playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order
06-09-2017, 12:24   #20
Isabelle

Total Posts: 2,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgksheff View Post
I've always stopped a little bit short, it gives you space to move over for emergency vehicles and for filtering cyclists and motorbike riders

Last edited by nikki-red; 06-09-2017 at 12:25. Reason: fixed the quote
Reply To Topic