Car insurance question

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

25-08-2017, 12:14   #21
Dimple

Total Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_shef View Post
It does seem like a massive jump in price, and a lot of money.
Sure does. Still, it was better than my first years insurance price, 159pm for a 1.6 Megane
Its been steadily reducing each year. This has been the first year ive had this kind of surprise.

---------- Post added 25-08-2017 at 12:16 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by barleycorn View Post
That seems like a massive premium then, where do you live, Beirut?
Exact same place as last year which is why inm struggling to understand it. Literally the only things that have change is I now have another years NCD and another years driving experience.

---------- Post added 25-08-2017 at 12:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hardie View Post
Ring the company up and ask why your premium has risen by 83%. Should be interesting.
I will be doing on the 9th of September. They cant quote me for renewal before then as my current insurance does not run out until 9th October.
25-08-2017, 12:51   #22
ANGELFIRE1

Total Posts: 4,904
My experience of getting car insurance is easy to relate. DO NOT stay loyal to your insurer, always contact several other insurers and ask what they would charge for the same policy cover. DO NOT tell them who your previous insurers are just give them the cost, (minus 20 for your time and phone calls) and you will get it cheaper in my experience. It certainly works in my case as an old fogey with 40 years no claims discount.

Angel1.
_______
Calm or unflinching in face of trouble, defeat, or loss. May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. If you can read this then thank a teacher. If you can read this in English then thank a soldier!. Walk slowly towards the light, for I will surely follow you, but not just yet.
25-08-2017, 13:23   #23
El Cid

Total Posts: 7,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANGELFIRE1 View Post
DO NOT stay loyal to your insurer, always contact several other insurers and ask what they would charge for the same policy cover.
Angel1.
That is why they keep your bank details, as other organisations do. I would sign up with one that did not save these details.
25-08-2017, 16:31   #24
bkcin

Total Posts: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimple View Post
Exact same place as last year which is why inm struggling to understand it. Literally the only things that have change is I now have another years NCD and another years driving experience.
Perhaps your postcode has cost the insurers a fair bit in the previous 12 months, or lots of people who drive the same car as you have cost the insurer a lot over the past 12 months, or other people in your demographic have cost them a lot over the past 12 months.

It's not just you that they consider when asessing risk.
26-08-2017, 21:44   #25
AlAN J

Total Posts: 61
When my car and house insurance was due for renewal a couple of months ago, I was shocked at the increase. Was pointed to DL, ended up with car and house insurance for less than my original quote for the car. A total saving of over 440.
29-08-2017, 13:58   #26
PeteMorris
Reason-ablyNear

Total Posts: 15,600
I recently had a renewal quote for my car from 'Go-Skippy'...It was pretty much double last years cost, coming in at around 700...I didn't bother to contact them first-off. I shopped around and got a fully comp policy (last years was TPFT only..Second car) for 328.

Then I rang Go-Skippy and said when it runs out, I won't be renewing...and told them why...Then they said we can do something about that and maybe match the quote you've had elsewhere. I said, no don't bother...If you can't be reasonable when re-quoting, the first time, then I don't want your insurance.

I know all insurance companies do this...I just wonder what percentage of existing customers just blindly pay up?

I'd feel happier if they contacted you and said give us a ring and we'll get the best deal we can for you...Not just quote a silly price and alienate you.
_______
It's almost like juggling fried eggs!
30-08-2017, 08:40   #27
barleycorn

Total Posts: 4,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMorris View Post
I recently had a renewal quote for my car from 'Go-Skippy'...It was pretty much double last years cost, coming in at around 700...I didn't bother to contact them first-off. I shopped around and got a fully comp policy (last years was TPFT only..Second car) for 328.

Then I rang Go-Skippy and said when it runs out, I won't be renewing...and told them why...Then they said we can do something about that and maybe match the quote you've had elsewhere. I said, no don't bother...If you can't be reasonable when re-quoting, the first time, then I don't want your insurance.

I know all insurance companies do this...I just wonder what percentage of existing customers just blindly pay up?

I'd feel happier if they contacted you and said give us a ring and we'll get the best deal we can for you...Not just quote a silly price and alienate you.
I do something similar, when I call to cancel the renewal and they ask why I tell them I've got it cheaper elsewhere and refuse any offer of trying to match it stating that they've had their opportunity to send me their best offer when they sent me the new quote.
_______
Reality is not based on definitions or word associations or quotes from a book. Reality is what you have after all the books have been put away and you keep your mouth shut. You don't need language to know reality. Anything that requires language to make itself known is not reality but the artifice of words, simply word associations, predicates on paper that can nowhere else be seen.
30-08-2017, 08:58   #28
L00b

Total Posts: 16,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by barleycorn View Post
I do something similar, when I call to cancel the renewal and they ask why I tell them I've got it cheaper elsewhere and refuse any offer of trying to match it stating that they've had their opportunity to send me their best offer when they sent me the new quote.
I go one further and inform them that, beside disappointing me when telling me to naff off [through their stupidly overinflated renewal quote], they've cost me time -and therefore money- looking for a cheaper alternative, through their own lack of effort and commercial awareness...

...wherein, unless they can improve significantly on the better quote from the competition (as in, at least 10% under) to make up for my wasted time, I'm not interested.

Success is infrequent I'll admit...but at least the conversation is rewarding, for about 5 mins

Last edited by L00b; 30-08-2017 at 09:01.
30-08-2017, 12:26   #29
barleycorn

Total Posts: 4,338
I do that too sometimes. Helps make the effort of the phone call more fulfilling.
_______
Reality is not based on definitions or word associations or quotes from a book. Reality is what you have after all the books have been put away and you keep your mouth shut. You don't need language to know reality. Anything that requires language to make itself known is not reality but the artifice of words, simply word associations, predicates on paper that can nowhere else be seen.

Last edited by barleycorn; 30-08-2017 at 12:28.
31-08-2017, 16:35   #30
Bjorn

Total Posts: 8
I moved to a better location and I'm parking off the road...increase of 30 for the year!
05-09-2017, 08:53   #31
bkcin

Total Posts: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn View Post
I moved to a better location and I'm parking off the road...increase of 30 for the year!
Because the quote isn't based on your perception of location or parking position, it's based on hard facts and statistical analysis of that postcode and your demographic - likely claims cost that particular insurer more in that specific area or demographic.
16-12-2017, 17:30   #32
spilldig

Total Posts: 2,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
That is why they keep your bank details, as other organisations do. I would sign up with one that did not save these details.
But how do you know if they save them or not and whether they do or not doesn't stop you changing ?
Reply To Topic