Sheffield Forum

Bulgaria? Anyone been? Hints tips?

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
13-05-2017, 14:14   #1
PeteMorris
Reason-ablyNear
PeteMorris's Avatar
 
Moderator
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Finally in a sunny place!!! :)
Total Posts: 15,588
I've booked a 7 day holiday in Bulgaria...With some trepidation.

I found a thread on here from 2008, saying it wasn't altogether that nice...But that was 9 years ago!

Does anyone have any more recent experience?

We've booked just B&B in a hotel in 'Sunny Beach'...How much is it to dine out?...How much are drinks?....

Any (apart from the obvious) Do's and Don'ts?
_______
It's almost like juggling fried eggs!
  Reply With Quote
13-05-2017, 14:31   #2
dorberman
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Total Posts: 1,975
I have been looking at sunny beach for some years but never booked.
Reasons why not-

Some friends have been and described it as Skegness
Also weather-has rained for them

But you enjoy and please convince us to go
  Reply With Quote
13-05-2017, 14:48   #3
chalga
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Total Posts: 5,333
Status: Online
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMorris View Post
I've booked a 7 day holiday in Bulgaria...With some trepidation.

I found a thread on here from 2008, saying it wasn't altogether that nice...But that was 9 years ago!

Does anyone have any more recent experience?

We've booked just B&B in a hotel in 'Sunny Beach'...How much is it to dine out?...How much are drinks?....

Any (apart from the obvious) Do's and Don'ts?
SB is OK the younger you are and the more you like to club,party and drink,there's too much concrete there for me,although the beach is fine if you just want to sunbathe all day.
I would have gone all inclusive because it will be hard to find a good place to eat unless you are lucky,as the restaurants haven't got the best reputation.You will pay 2-3 times more than the normal price for drinks and food there than is normal in BG because resorts are always rip off prices,maybe about 2 pound s a pint minimum and maybe 5 pound for basic restaurant meal.
If you like a bit more culture,spend some time in Nessebar,a short bus ride away,or St Vlas another short bus ride away which is a bit more upmarket,or take a bus to the nearest big town,Burgas,which is a lot better,nice beach,decent restaurants and normal prices for food and drink.
  Reply With Quote
13-05-2017, 14:48   #4
rg-decor
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: sheffield (north)
Total Posts: 116
I've been to Bulgaria 3 times before. It's fantastic value for money. You can get a pint for about a quid almost everywhere. Food is cheap also. They specialise in grilled meats. Sunny beach in the immediate centre is not for everyone in afraid. It's very loud and busy both day and night. We stayed on the edge of sunny beach towards nessebar which was brilliant. Nessebar is fantastic much more classy than sunny beach centre. Beach is nice and clean. I would go back again no problem..... trying Crete this year. I'm sure you will have a good time. All the best Richard
_______
Painter & decorator in sheffield, All aspects of painting and decorating undertaken. Call Richard on 0114 2451594 / 07757 014643
Search rg decor on Facebook
  Reply With Quote
13-05-2017, 15:18   #5
PeteMorris
Reason-ablyNear
PeteMorris's Avatar
 
Moderator
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Finally in a sunny place!!! :)
Total Posts: 15,588
Whooo...Thanks for the comments so far...All of you...It's much appreciated...

As it's booked and paid for now...I guess we'll just have to 'suck it and see'
_______
It's almost like juggling fried eggs!
  Reply With Quote
13-05-2017, 15:26   #6
chalga
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Total Posts: 5,333
Status: Online
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMorris View Post
Whooo...Thanks for the comments so far...All of you...It's much appreciated...

As it's booked and paid for now...I guess we'll just have to 'suck it and see'
If you like chicken and pork you will be well away,most of the kids live on pizza or Duner,mostly chicken duner from takeaways which is not expensive,drink the local lager which is very good and will be cheapest,lot cheaper than any imported beers,and if you want rocket fuel,try rakia which is the eqivalent of schnapps,a bottle will be not expensive and you can drink yourself into oblivion quickly if it's going belly up.
  Reply With Quote
14-05-2017, 20:54   #7
verona
Registered User
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Total Posts: 1,560
And watch where you tread, there is dog mess everywhere. You get what you pay for I guess.
  Reply With Quote
14-05-2017, 21:38   #8
dorberman
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Total Posts: 1,975
Glad we booked for Greece now!!!!!
  Reply With Quote
14-05-2017, 21:52   #9
PeteMorris
Reason-ablyNear
PeteMorris's Avatar
 
Moderator
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Finally in a sunny place!!! :)
Total Posts: 15,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by verona View Post
And watch where you tread, there is dog mess everywhere. You get what you pay for I guess.
I do that where I live now....So what's new?
_______
It's almost like juggling fried eggs!
  Reply With Quote
14-05-2017, 22:11   #10
sedith
Registered User
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: West Country
Total Posts: 3,583
OK if you like stew every day, poor food and drunks abound. Awful place and you are only allowed where they want you to see. It speaks volumes when the UK is awash with Bulgarians vacating their country ... what does that tell you?
As for Romania, give that a miss, its even worse than Bulgaria.
_______
The Devil made me do it!
  Reply With Quote
14-05-2017, 22:20   #11
chalga
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Total Posts: 5,333
Status: Online
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedith View Post
OK if you like stew every day, poor food and drunks abound. Awful place and you are only allowed where they want you to see. It speaks volumes when the UK is awash with Bulgarians vacating their country ... what does that tell you?
As for Romania, give that a miss, its even worse than Bulgaria.
This is just the kind of fake news,fearmongering garbage that people need to ignore.
  Reply With Quote
14-05-2017, 22:21   #12
jaffa1
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2010
Total Posts: 1,007
I know someone who has bought an apartment there because it is much cheaper than Greece and Spain, I've stayed a few times and love it, if you go to Sunny Beach it is loud and lively but the little village next door is St Vlas and lovely. You have a few shops, family run restaurants and the usual church square where the locals sit chatting every day. It's cheap and friendly which reminds me of Greece.
I can recommend a clean and all inclusive hotel which is on the beach it is the Seneva Beach Hotel in St Vlas you'll be surprised how cheap it is for what you get.
  Reply With Quote
14-05-2017, 22:24   #13
chalga
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Total Posts: 5,333
Status: Online
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffa1 View Post
I know someone who has bought an apartment there because it is much cheaper than Greece and Spain, I've stayed a few times and love it, if you go to Sunny Beach it is loud and lively but the little village next door is St Vlas and lovely. You have a few shops, family run restaurants and the usual church square where the locals sit chatting every day. It's cheap and friendly which reminds me of Greece.
I can recommend a clean and all inclusive hotel which is on the beach it is the Seneva Beach Hotel in St Vlas you'll be surprised how cheap it is for what you get.

Somebody who actually knows what he is talking about here,well done.
  Reply With Quote
14-05-2017, 22:42   #14
Alcoblog
Registered User
Alcoblog's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Crookes (area 51 and a half)
Total Posts: 9,987
I went to Bulgaria with my parents, as a kid. We stayed at a campsite on the shore of Lake Balaton. Unfortunately, I had sunstroke for the duration and had to stay in the tent as a means of avoiding certain sun-death, eating nothing more than Vesta Chow Mein and Fray Bentos rations. I seem to remember beautiful scenery though and wouldn't mind going back, armed appropriately this time with factor 185. Better than Switzerland anyway.
  Reply With Quote
14-05-2017, 22:45   #15
chalga
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Total Posts: 5,333
Status: Online
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcoblog View Post
I went to Bulgaria with my parents, as a kid. We stayed at a campsite on the shore of Lake Balaton. Unfortunately, I had sunstroke for the duration and had to stay in the tent as a means of avoiding certain sun-death, eating nothing more than Vesta Chow Mein and Fray Bentos rations. I seem to remember beautiful scenery though and wouldn't mind going back, armed appropriately this time with factor 185. Better than Switzerland anyway.
I don't think you stayed on the shore of Balaton in Bulgaria mate,that lake is in Hungary.
  Reply With Quote
14-05-2017, 22:55   #16
Alcoblog
Registered User
Alcoblog's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Crookes (area 51 and a half)
Total Posts: 9,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalga View Post
I don't think you stayed on the shore of Balaton in Bulgaria mate,that lake is in Hungary.
Ooops! … silly me! Yeah, we were on a camping holiday and did Bulgaria, Hungary, Romania (as well as all the other countries on the way). Just forgot which country Lake Balaton's in (Long time ago!)

So anyway, Hungary's nice too.

Last edited by Alcoblog; 14-05-2017 at 22:57. Reason: Niceties to Hungary
  Reply With Quote
14-05-2017, 22:59   #17
chalga
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Total Posts: 5,333
Status: Online
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcoblog View Post
Ooops! silly me! Yeah, we were on a camping holiday and did Bulgaria, Hungary, Romania (as well as all the other countries on the way). Just forgot which country Lake Balaton's in (Long time ago!)

So anyway, Hungary's nice too.
Yep,still not been to Balaton or Hungary,only through it,but probably will get there one day,Romania I go every year and it's such a great place to visit I look at it like my second home now.
  Reply With Quote
15-05-2017, 10:29   #18
Lex Luthor
Registered User
 
Joined: Mar 2016
Total Posts: 889
Got to giggle to myself reading some of the posts as my grandparents went last year and said they liked Bulgaria but said SB was too quiet for them. Mind you their favourite resort is Las Americas!

They left with a very good impression of Bulgaria. I know a tip from them would be to get to know the local people as well as you can. They spoke of how friendly the locals were - a wonderful family invited them for a traditional meal in their home.

Also, for the ladies, buy the locally made creams made from rose petals - I'm told it's excellent and costs next to nothing there but you would pay tons more here for something of the same quality. A quick google reveals Bulgaria is no1 producer of rose oil.

Last edited by Lex Luthor; 15-05-2017 at 10:32.
  Reply With Quote
15-05-2017, 10:37   #19
Obelix
Registered User
Obelix's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Total Posts: 11,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedith View Post
OK if you like stew every day, poor food and drunks abound. Awful place and you are only allowed where they want you to see. It speaks volumes when the UK is awash with Bulgarians vacating their country ... what does that tell you?
As for Romania, give that a miss, its even worse than Bulgaria.
You clearly have never been to either country.

Pete - I can't speak for the resort as I've never been but both Romania and Bulgaria are excellent places to visit, no worse than the UK and a lot cheaper to boot with a deal of history and country to explore.

The people are friendly although outside the resorts you may have a language issue unless you speak German (or one of the Slavic languages) but the above description is so very wrong from my experience it's laughable.

The only think I will say is make sure food is cooked fresh and stick to bottled water/beer or hot drinks. I've had an upset belly before whilst there mainly because it's just different water from home if you get my drift and you are possibly not used to the microflora they have...

Oh and make sure you try the local wine and the plum brandy. Excellent stuff.
_______
Brexit so far has cost:
1 suicide and 1 MP assassinated
Money for the NHS so far is minus 50,000,000,000
Lloyds has left. And Farage still lives here.
  Reply With Quote
15-05-2017, 11:55   #20
Berberis
Registered User
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Total Posts: 11,662
I have been to a Bulgarian Ski resort (Borovets) and it was the steadiest place I have ever visited.
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:09.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2017 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2017

Nimbus Server