Firwood Cottage, Reopening as The Blind Monkey

Is the writing on the wall for yet another Walkley pub? The freehold is for sale and local rumour has it that it is to be closed and converted into a halfway house.

It would make a nice house.

But, if someone buys it as a freehouse there is scope to make a decent living from it.

The big brew companies have killed some pubs off by the way they milk every last penny out of pubs. The people running them are not going to work all hours for a pittance.

Only ones that go to the wall are old fashioned traditional pub. Real ale pubs go from strength to strength. Look at Walkley Beer Co, expanding days it is open!

Guest makapaka
Only ones that go to the wall are old fashioned traditional pub. Real ale pubs go from strength to strength. Look at Walkley Beer Co, expanding days it is open!

It would be great if the walkley beer company bought it and kept it going!

It's not a bad price at £195k with living space above. If I had a few quid I might give it a go - still money to be made in pub game with a freehold.

It would be great if the walkley beer company bought it and kept it going!

It's not a bad price at £195k with living space above. If I had a few quid I might give it a go - still money to be made in pub game with a freehold.

Totally agree or James from The Blake. How about us Crowd Funding and buying it for the Community?

Kits got his hands full with a full time job over Stockport way and the planned new Wednesday / Sunday opening hours at the beer co. Could be the start of another beer empire though . Still with all the blue bee pubs now in a state of flux its an odd time . Even heard a rumour of Closed Shop being run as a community pub

Guest makapaka
Kits got his hands full with a full time job over Stockport way and the planned new Wednesday / Sunday opening hours at the beer co. Could be the start of another beer empire though . Still with all the blue bee pubs now in a state of flux its an odd time . Even heard a rumour of Closed Shop being run as a community pub

Why would the closed shop need to change I thought it was doing ok?

---------- Post added 05-02-2017 at 19:14 ----------

Totally agree or James from The Blake. How about us Crowd Funding and buying it for the Community?

Sounds a great idea.-

From what Ive heard Andy is getting out of the pub business so that has put the whole chain in some doubt. Rutland, Old Crown, Closed Shop, Punch Bowl, 3 Tuns . Rutland is a free house, some of the others are Punch.

But yes I agree the Closed Shop is still as busy as ever

Ive objected, as I hope other locals will. They didn't even bother to let the landlord know, after all it's only his home.

I have also objected. In all honesty, parking is an issue and there is already enough road rage in these parts, Walkley Road corner causes many a scene.