Sheffield Pals JULY 1ST 1916

For those that are interested, check out the record of John William Frith, he lived at 56 Frederick Street Darnall Pvte 12/1453 Sheffield City Battalion . There is a letter from his father in his Service Record informing the Army that his son is not yet 17 ,joined the Army without his permission and he would like his son returning . The letter is dated 11/7/1916. Unfortunately John William was killed in action 1/7/1916

Would be interesting to know how many Sheffield men in the armed forces died in both the wars, but I cant find anything that breaks it down.

Would be interesting to know how many Sheffield men in the armed forces died in both the wars, but I cant find anything that breaks it down.

Here's a Sheffield Roll of Honour Great War

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/dam/sheffield/docs/libraries-and-archives/archives-and-local-studies/research/World%20War%20One%20Roll%20of%20Honour.pdf

Cousin of mine on page 21.

Visited his grave in September 2013, he died on the 1st July 1916, the first day of the Somme, he was 19 years of age.

The military graveyards in northern France are beautifully tended, and are the greatest monument to mans inhumanity to man and the sheer stupidity of our species anywhere on the planet.

'The War to end all Wars'.

That's great! Thanks.

A mixture of sadness and anger from me. Inept leaders sending men to early graves.:mad:

I was looking for Woods (dads side) but realised he is from Lincolnshire. Going to sent this on to my brother for him to check out the Jenkinson's and Grays.

it may sound silly but how do you define Sheffield men, born in the city , lived in the , lived in the city but emigrated ( there were over 1000 men from Sheffield served with the Canadian Forces ) -Parents from Sheffield that moved also what about people in transit who lived and worked in the City and then moved on . There is no definitive list

I helped with the research for Hathersage -on their War Memorial there are 24 names , we found another 60 + names connected to the village

it may sound silly but how do you define Sheffield men, born in the city , lived in the , lived in the city but emigrated ( there were over 1000 men from Sheffield served with the Canadian Forces ) -Parents from Sheffield that moved also what about people in transit who lived and worked in the City and then moved on . There is no definitive list

I helped with the research for Hathersage -on their War Memorial there are 24 names , we found another 60 + names connected to the village

Good point.

I guess my question was 'ill thought out' and as you state, a lot more complex.

Cheers.