Women advice please on being sterilised.

11 years later do you think it's still great. I've had it 2 years and it was the worst mistake I've made.

Do you mind me asking why it's the worst mistake you've made?

I'm almost 33, we've been together for nearly 11 years (got married earlier this year) and we don't want children and I have so often considered sterilisation but I keep being told I wouldn't be eligible for it seen as I'm still of child bearing age and we don't have any children.

It's not the fact it is sterilisation, it is all the side effects I've been having.

I had an ablation and the only way I could have it was to agree to having essure at same time to make sure I couldn't get pregnant following ablation, even though a previous gynae had told me I was infertile.

Since having essure, I have been in horrendous pain, I'm tired a lot of the time, I have found out I'm allergic to nickel since having it done.

Edited by foxydebs

I was sterilised at the age of 36. I had been with my partner nearly 20 years and we didn't want children. I had been on the pill for all of that time. My Sister was diagnosed with breast cancer so I told my Doctor I wanted sterilisation.

Went into hospital in the morning. Put to sleep, job done, home at tea time no problems. No regrets. I'm 53 now

At my request in 1981 I was sterilized. I was 26 years old and it's one of the best things I've ever done...... no regrets whatsoever.

Our family was complete, we had a girl of 4 and a 1 year old boy. They were both born by emergency caesarean section and after the last birth I was told by the surgeon it would be unwise to have any more children.

The easiest option would have been for my husband to have a vasectomy but I didn't want this. My reason being that you never know what the future holds.......... we were happily married ( and still are after 42 years ) but what if I should die ? My husband could marry again and want more children. On the other hand, if my husband died I definitely would not want more children. What if we lost one or both of our children ? ..... well in my mind you cannot replace children by having more. So when our boy was 1 year old I was sterilized.

People may think that 26 years old is too young for such a drastic decision to be made, for others maybe but for us...... no. We're both 62 now, have been very happily married for almost 43 years and have 4 lovely grandchildren. :thumbsup:

At my request in 1981 I was sterilized. I was 26 years old and it's one of the best things I've ever done...... no regrets whatsoever.

Our family was complete, we had a girl of 4 and a 1 year old boy. They were both born by emergency caesarean section and after the last birth I was told by the surgeon it would be unwise to have any more children.

The easiest option would have been for my husband to have a vasectomy but I didn't want this. My reason being that you never know what the future holds.......... we were happily married ( and still are after 42 years ) but what if I should die ? My husband could marry again and want more children. On the other hand, if my husband died I definitely would not want more children. What if we lost one or both of our children ? ..... well in my mind you cannot replace children by having more. So when our boy was 1 year old I was sterilized.

People may think that 26 years old is too young for such a drastic decision to be made, for others maybe but for us...... no. We're both 62 now, have been very happily married for almost 43 years and have 4 lovely grandchildren. :thumbsup:

how sweet.:smile:.