Sheffield Forum

Drivers fined for avoiding emergency vehicles.

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic

06-09-2017, 13:28   #21
Fogey

Total Posts: 1,177
My driving instructor always told me that I should be able to see tyres and tarmac. It leaves me a bit of space in front which is safer if the car in front rolls back, but also enables some manoeuvring if I need to move over.
_______
Trust me, I'm a Professional.
06-09-2017, 17:30   #22
monkey104

Total Posts: 3,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
I think I'd take the hit and willingly break the law in a safe and appropriate manner, not so much for a police car, but certainly for an ambulance (could be a serious medial emergency for someone).

I'd challenge any ticket; and tell the judge I'd do exactly the same again in future.
May be the police car would be going to a serious incident involving the safety of lots of folk.
Bearing in mind if someone calls 999 because they are going to harm themselves using a weapon or throw them self from height it will be police attending first!
What about a fire engine, would you move over for them?
Not being obtuse, just wondering your reasoning.
_______
Life is for living! A life having being lived is not turning up at the pearly gates in a pristine body, it's sliding in on your knees, body tattered, torn and worn out shouting " What a rush."
06-09-2017, 18:06   #23
Bob Arctor

Total Posts: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabelle View Post
I've always stopped a little bit short, it gives you space to move over for emergency vehicles and for filtering cyclists and motorbike riders
It's called a safety gap and is good practice at all times. It used to be covered in driving lessons, don't know about nowadays.
_______
If I'd known it was harmless, I would have killed it myself

From each according to their ability, to each according to their need
06-09-2017, 18:08   #24
Waldo

Total Posts: 5,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey104 View Post
May be the police car would be going to a serious incident involving the safety of lots of folk.
Bearing in mind if someone calls 999 because they are going to harm themselves using a weapon or throw them self from height it will be police attending first!
What about a fire engine, would you move over for them?
Not being obtuse, just wondering your reasoning.
Yeah, I think a fire engine more so than a police car.

I guess to my mind; I just don't associate a police car with blue lights on, with 'someone's life is on the line'. With an ambulance though, I would imagine there's a good chance that could be the case.
_______
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
06-09-2017, 20:32   #25
Puggie
Account Closed

Total Posts: 779
Someone at Middlewood DTC failed their driving test for crossing a red light to make way for an emergency vehicle.

Examiners and instructors alike always say you are not expected to break the law in order to make way.
Reply To Topic