Sheffield Forum

Disabled benefits cut have caused a 'human catastrophe'

Home > General > General Discussions

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
27-08-2017, 10:39   #41
Ms Macbeth
Baby boomer
Ms Macbeth's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Hillsborough mostly
Total Posts: 17,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
There is no reason why some could not do ordinary jobs, I would not have closed Remploy.
With the minimum wage increasing, employers are trying the squeeze the last minute out of each employee. Employers should get a 2 year tax break if they employ people that have some sort of disability.
I see no reason why it should be the hard working poor, that are the only ones doing the dirty jobs.
I agree many people with disabilities can work in ordinary jobs, have careers etc. But some are limited by the scope of their disability or condition. Remploy filled a gap, but was expensive.
_______
Health is the greatest gift,
contentment the greatest wealth,
faithfulness the best relationship.


Buddha
  Reply With Quote
27-08-2017, 10:54   #42
Hairyloon
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Total Posts: 2,666
In my experience, a lot of disabled people are entirely capable of work, but not all of the time and not reliably so. They therefore have little or no chance of holding down any kind of normal job.
And if they do anything to try and work within the parameters of their disability, the DWP will see that as proof positive that they are ineligible for benefit.
  Reply With Quote
27-08-2017, 11:24   #43
El Cid
Registered User
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Wakefield
Total Posts: 7,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairyloon View Post
In my experience, a lot of disabled people are entirely capable of work, but not all of the time and not reliably so. They therefore have little or no chance of holding down any kind of normal job.
And if they do anything to try and work within the parameters of their disability, the DWP will see that as proof positive that they are ineligible for benefit.
Work is always positive, but the application of Tory benefit rules is causing real problems, for all benefit claimants.
  Reply With Quote
27-08-2017, 11:25   #44
Hairyloon
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Total Posts: 2,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
Work is always positive, but the application of Tory benefit rules is causing real problems, for all benefit claimants.
Fixed that for you.
  Reply With Quote
27-08-2017, 13:12   #45
Anna B
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Total Posts: 9,866
Status: Online
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairyloon View Post
Why not do both? Let's be honest, we do all enjoy moaning.
The bottom line is that if society cannot be bothered to find the decent people and get them into parliament then it will get the government that it deserves.



I've already explained that it should not take a lot (if any) to prime the pump, so to speak: after the first few cases the next can be funded the money won off the government...
We get the politicians that have been chosen for us via party shortlists that we have no control over.
Independent candidates have little to no hope of ever getting elected.

But this is for another thread.
  Reply With Quote
27-08-2017, 15:06   #46
Hairyloon
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Total Posts: 2,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna B View Post
But this is for another thread.
Yeah, but which one?
  Reply With Quote
27-08-2017, 19:32   #47
the_bloke
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Next to the fields
Total Posts: 2,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister M View Post
In the 3 short years from 2011 to 2014, 2,380 people died after their claim for employment and support allowance ended because a work capability assessment found they were found fit for work.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...nt-dwp-figures
But that's not the actual facts behind the figures.

https://fullfact.org/economy/reporti...t-fit-purpose/

'The figures show the number of people who had been found "fit for work", and who died within weeks of their claim ending. They cover the period from late 2011 to early 2014. It's likely that in many of these cases, the person dying was why the claim ended.'

'In this case, the number of people dying within two weeks of a claim ending is not the same as the number of people who died within two weeks of being found "fit for work"'

So, why would the Guardian manage to interpret the figures totally to support their own agenda? I wonder.
_______
df
df
df

Last edited by the_bloke; 27-08-2017 at 19:34.
  Reply With Quote
27-08-2017, 20:56   #48
Hairyloon
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Total Posts: 2,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bloke View Post
'The figures show the number of people who had been found "fit for work", and who died within weeks of their claim ending. They cover the period from late 2011 to early 2014. It's likely that in many of these cases, the person dying was why the claim ended.'

'In this case, the number of people dying within two weeks of a claim ending is not the same as the number of people who died within two weeks of being found "fit for work"'
So they are found fit for work, their claim ends because they are not capable of looking hard enough for work and then they die.
However way you look at that, it is not good.
  Reply With Quote
28-08-2017, 01:41   #49
the_bloke
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Next to the fields
Total Posts: 2,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairyloon View Post
So they are found fit for work, their claim ends because they are not capable of looking hard enough for work and then they die.
However way you look at that, it is not good.
You aren't reading the fullfact.org link properly.

The figures given include people that were claiming and then died whilst claiming, which ends their claim. The link rightfully points out that:

'Unfortunately, the DWP has not published an age-standardised mortality rate for those found "fit for work". They may not be able to do so; publishing a mortality rate for people who were found fit for work would require information about people no longer claiming benefits who died during the time period in question.'

So the DWP doesn't keep track of people who died after being found fit to work, exactly for that reason; being found fit to work means you no longer count as a claimant so you no longer exist on the system. The DWP can only give figures for people who were claiming at the point they died, which obviously wouldn't be people who were told they were fit for work..

The figures are a nonsense and you've all been suckered in.
_______
df
df
df
  Reply With Quote
28-08-2017, 02:08   #50
Anna B
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Total Posts: 9,866
Status: Online
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bloke View Post
You aren't reading the fullfact.org link properly.

The figures given include people that were claiming and then died whilst claiming, which ends their claim. The link rightfully points out that:

'Unfortunately, the DWP has not published an age-standardised mortality rate for those found "fit for work". They may not be able to do so; publishing a mortality rate for people who were found fit for work would require information about people no longer claiming benefits who died during the time period in question.'

So the DWP doesn't keep track of people who died after being found fit to work, exactly for that reason; being found fit to work means you no longer count as a claimant so you no longer exist on the system. The DWP can only give figures for people who were claiming at the point they died, which obviously wouldn't be people who were told they were fit for work..

The figures are a nonsense and you've all been suckered in.


The report was suppressed, so nobody much got to hear the figures anyway, much less the comments.

Just like the recent UN report which accuses the current government of 'serious violations of disabled people's rights, and legislation which has caused a human catastophe' has similarly not garnered much publicity and has been ignored.
  Reply With Quote
28-08-2017, 10:30   #51
dutch
Registered User
dutch's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Total Posts: 3,856
Take a step back and look again. The real mentally ill are the tories who tell real disabled people to work under ridiculous circumstances.
If someone takes so much medication to bring physical problems under control but now the intense medication makes them drowsy, tired, low energy a crazy insane tory will come and say, oh you can work fine now back to work now.
They have no respect for disabled people.
  Reply With Quote
30-08-2017, 05:58   #52
Itrytoplease
Registered User
Itrytoplease's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Total Posts: 1,051
DWP spends £39m defending decisions to strip benefits from sick and disabled people. The costs that have been exposed so far only refer to those incurred by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and do not include money spent by the Courts and Tribunals Service, which carry out the appeals.

Atos & Capita given £578m so far for assessing people for PIP since it launched in 2013

The Government spent £1,166,459 trying to take benefits from ESA claimants between January and March 2016, and £2,069,849 in the same period this year – a 77 per cent rise.

Full story HERE........


http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7886166.html
_______
“Don’t worry about failures, worry about the chances you miss when you don’t even try.” – Jack Canfield

Last edited by Itrytoplease; 30-08-2017 at 06:04.
  Reply With Quote
30-08-2017, 08:51   #53
dutch
Registered User
dutch's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Total Posts: 3,856
Woman has 30 epileptic seizures per month and told she is not disabled.
When I tell this to friends and family abroad they laugh and say that only happens in cloud cuckoo land.
  Reply With Quote
30-08-2017, 09:35   #54
Hairyloon
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Total Posts: 2,666
I am becoming increasingly of the opinion that we should stop moaning about the so called "war on the disabled" and accept that it is actually a war on the disabled: there are internationally agreed rules for war.

Once we accept that, we can ask for a cease fire, and maybe the UN can broker a peace treaty...
  Reply With Quote
31-08-2017, 06:43   #55
focemal
Registered User
focemal's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Deepcar
Total Posts: 385
The vulnerable are being penalised for the actions of the venal. The weak are easier to pick on than the strong.
_______
No, no, no - it's spelt Raymond Luxury Yacht, but it's pronounced 'Throatwobbler Mangrove'.
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:02.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2017 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2017

Nimbus Server