My new Cat biting & not as friendly as I would like

Hello, I am a great cat lover and have a cat who is 16 months old. She likes to bite, just teeth marks. What is the best way to let her know it is not good. Also will not come on my knee (only my husbands). I would love her to do that and have a cuddle also. Any advice please? Thanks.

Guest makapaka
Hello, I am a great cat lover and have a cat who is 16 months old. She likes to bite, just teeth marks. What is the best way to let her know it is not good. Also will not come on my knee (only my husbands). I would love her to do that and have a cuddle also. Any advice please? Thanks.

You'll not change a cat unfortunately.

You can try but they are a law unto themselves really.

We've had loads of cats over the years - all with different personalities and can't think of any who's behaviour we have been able to alter - save for perhaps eating times etc.

It depends on the context of the biting. Is she biting from aggression, affection or during play?

This link has some good advice:

https://www.thespruce.com/stop-cat-bites-553893

Cats are odd creatures, my female cat would only sit on my knee when my partner was not in the house. Our little male cat will sit on both of us, but he is really attached to me, he sleeps on me and follows me around. I think this may be because I was the first to pick him up when we got him as a kitten.

Cats do whatever the hell they want, that's what makes them so great in my opinion. Get another cat, then your cat will have a friend and maybe the new cat will be a lap cat.

We recently acquired a cat, from someone who adopted her 2yr ago at 12 weeks old. Jesse the cat has been looked after, no expense spared, but boy can she be a grumpy chuff. Lovely one minute, zombie fang kill the next. The previous owner never told us about this, but we love her to bits (the cat,not the previous owner). She is more or less the exact colouring as Jesse from Postman Pat. Little s**t :D

Edited by walkertelecoms
cruddy spelling

What happens before she bites? Do you try and touch or pick her up when she hasn't come over to you?

Generally cats like to make their own decisions. Mine will spend lots of time laying on my lap, but only when he's chosen to do so. If I pick him up and put him on me, he'll immediately jump off, and, look quite offended :)

Jackson Galaxy is very good with teaching owners about cat psychology and behaviour- lots of vids here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCatDaddy66

One of them will cover the 'eyes looking away' thing, which worked really well on my cat when I first got him.

We recently acquired a cat, from someone who adopted her 2yr ago at 12 weeks old. Jesse the cat has been looked after, no expense spared, but boy can she be a grumpy chuff. Lovely one minute, zombie fang kill the next. The previous owner never told us about this, but we love her to bits (the cat,not the previous owner). She is more or less the exact colouring as Jesse from Postman Pat. Little s**t :D

Sounds just like the female cat I mentioned before! I adopted her four years ago, she was two years old, and I renamed her Jess. She was a beautiful cat, tiny little thing with short legs and looked just like Postman Pat's cat. But so grumpy! Sadly I had to have her put to sleep after she got run over a few months ago. In her last few months she had started curling up on my bed and purring, which I appreciated all the more because it was so rare.

I have a video of her on my phone being very grumpy, but I can't bring myself to watch it :(

When I first got mine (he was 1) he was the same - very bitey whenever touched and seemed to prefer my other half.

I have found that through being patient and giving him lots of love (and treats when he accepts being touched well) he is gradually getting much more affectionate.

Don't punish her for biting as such, just completely ignore it and don't give it a reaction. I read that stroking your cat when you feed them gets them to start seeing touch as positive as it is alongside something they enjoy ... being fed!

You can't "change" cat's personality as such, and you may need to accept that this is just how she is, but by doing all the right things she may come around in time. Good luck! and

Well, you cannot change a cat again and again as you’re a cat lover. Every cat has different personality and so we cannot think of any whose behaviour we have been able to alter. Cats are odd creatures, so they do whatever they want to do, that’s what makes them so great in my opinion.