Sign in to follow this  

People... are we animals?

"we are not animals ... we are humans !!"

I was thinking about this lately (after seeing a nature documentary about monkeys and apes) ...

It struck me ... how we consider ourselves not to be animals and how civilised we are (are we?) ...

I got to thinking that ... all we really are is just glorified and highly evolved apes.

What do you think ?

Do you consider yourself to be part of the animal kingdom, or are we seperate from it !?

In the words of Stephen Hawking (written by david gilmour)

"For millions of years mankind lived just like animals

Then something happened which unleashed the power of our imagination...

We learned to talk"

I think this may be one of those subjects,where I feel the need to smoke something.

As humans we can talk to communicate between each other,we can understan each other,but we cant understand animals.

Thats not to say animals cant talk,they obviously communicate between themselves,they cant understand us the same as we cant unerstand them.

We have evolved into a lazy form of animal,we no longer hunt to survive,this is because we have created a situation where we just go and buy what we need because its easy and less dangerous (depends where you shop).

In addition I think the human race will evolve to the point where it begins to enter devolution.

My head hurts now

We're just another species of animals living alongside other species on the same planet. We should collectively get over ourselves when it comes to the way in which we consider ourselves to be the supreme species of the planet.

I can't remember when i first heard this but it still makes me laugh.

Most carnivores eat their own faeces as eating raw meat is not the most efficient method of digestion, it need to be digested again to 'get the most out of the meal'.

We (humans) learnt of another method of helping us digest meat, cooking it as this helps break down the structure and allow us to digest it better. We use fire and now ovens to cook food, we are tool using creatures.

The difference between us?

We're tool using creatures, they are stool using creatures.

A bad joke, but funny none the less.

Wilf

Originally posted by t020

We're just another species of animals living alongside other species on the same planet. We should collectively get over ourselves when it comes to the way in which we consider ourselves to be the supreme species of the planet.

Are we the supreme species on this planet !?

How would you measure 'supreme' !?

Originally posted by Jamie

I got to thinking that ... all we really are is just glorified and highly evolved apes.

Just like the opening scenes from 2001 : a space Odyssey. Apes using tools, killing, hunting etc just like us. Some sci-fi isn't so much fiction at all :o

For some reason we don't like to be classified in this way.

But we are animals, of that there is no doubt. We have turned nature on its head by evolving into something that we shouldn't really be. The fact that we aren't what we really should be raises questions about what we should be and what we should be doing which isn't what we actually are, or indeed doing.

I suppose that we a were meant to be the superior species, but were we meant to strip the earth of all its resources and pollute stuff.

No. Of course not.

This is awesome.