Windows 98 SE Upgrade CD

anyone know where I can one of these from? I can find plenty of 98SE disks but not the upgrade. I don't want to have to start again on the pc if I don't have to and the 98SE disk is an install not an upgrade so will not run!

Anyone help?

Originally posted by Internetowl

anyone know where I can one of these from? I can find plenty of 98SE disks but not the upgrade. I don't want to have to start again on the pc if I don't have to and the 98SE disk is an install not an upgrade so will not run!

Anyone help?

Don't quite follow. Do you mean you have Win 98 and would like to upgrade to Win 98SE?

Easy, I went to the Microsoft website and got free upgrades. You can download a bunch of stuff for 98 SE. I upgraded my Outlook Express from 5 to 6. I didn't even need the disc to do it.

AFAIK there's no such thing as a Windows 98 SE upgrade CD. It was released as a new operating system in its own right and only distributed with new PCs (just as Windows 95 B / C was).

Or at least that the impression I've always got...

Originally posted by Tony Ruscoe

AFAIK there's no such thing as a Windows 98 SE upgrade CD. It was released as a new operating system in its own right and only distributed with new PCs (just as Windows 95 B / C was).

Or at least that the impression I've always got...

Thats what I was thinking. I'd have thought it could just be installed on to the PC without formatting the HDD, though I've never changed from Win 98 'first edition' to Win 98 SE.

I've found a supplier of said item - Win98SE Upgradedisk - 70 quid

Hopefully it will be worth it...

£70 :o

Do you really need Win98?

You could get a copy of Windows XP pro for that on ebay, and I've just seen a copy of Windows 2000 pro on there for £15.

Both xp and 2000 are infinitely better than win98.

Originally posted by Internetowl

I've found a supplier of said item - Win98SE Upgradedisk - 70 quid

Hopefully it will be worth it...

Hi

I've just been looking through some old cd's and I found one that says Windows 98 upgrade and is flashmarked with Second Edition updated and improved on the front. Is this what you require?

http://www.microsoft.com

On the left hand side of the screen you will options.

Click on "windows update"

You can scan for the latest updates and upgrades for free.

I did it myself. Was I dreaming or is this not what Internetowl was asking?

I have Windows SE also and now I have all the latest versions without paying anything.

Don't pay £70 for Win 98! Take the plunge and get XP Pro. Trust me, its worth it.

Hi Intenet Owl,

What version of windows are you currently running? Why do you feel you need to upgrade?

The reason I ask is,

1. DON'T pay £70 for a windows 98 upgrade, when you can get XP for the same price. Windows 98 is not worth £70!!!!!

2. Upgrading can cause problems on your PC. You'd be better off with a clean install, just save all your important files to CD B4 you format your hard drive.

3. If you do decide you want to go the XP route, make sure your PC can handle it. It uses more of your computers resources than previous versions of windows.

Internet Owl

I must agree with others Windows XP is the way to go,by far the superior of the OSs.

However if that is not an option and you need something a little less dazzling.

Then 2000 is the next best thing,I have a couple of Win 2000 disks (not copies) if you want one let me know and ill get one to you,for free of course.