Sheffield skinheads in the 80s

anyone rember walkin thru the subways etc when there was a concert on at the city hall ? got chased thru there a few times must av bn my long hair an denim jacket

My God yes. And worse for being chased by boneheads was the Bus station. Also dodgy were the peace Gardens on a Friday or Sat night in the Summer, groups of them used to lie in wait for us rockers on our way to the Wapentake or Rebels.

many many times I was ambushed by those slaphead cretins. They never managed to catch me though, I was ligntning fast at sprinting.

All the skins used to hang about on the balcony on flat street,and were known as the "showboat skins".

Anyone remember when a load of "casuals" came in the wop(82 I think) no one had come across this fashion before,but they caused mayhem,with the fighting spilling out of the club and on to

wellington st,they gave as good as they got and things ended up about even.

8) Nah Den Ace.......

Yeah, I remember the skins hanging about on the balcony on Flat Street. One of the top skins was a half-caste kid who went by the name of "Adolf"! I don't know that he had the intelligence to realise the irony of his pseudonym!

Regards,

Spacehopper.

I use to be a skinhead in the 1980's spent most of my time down attercliffe we always got fighting when the fair use to come on the spare ground at darnall.Brightside was another haunt of ours, going back to attercliffe we once went in the fisherman pub just off broughton lane this is going up to darnall we had never been in the pub before there was about 20 of us.We had a right shock when we walked through the door it was full of hells angels there was one bloody big battle outside I had my hand broke by a stupid long haired fella he lashed out at me with a motorbike chain thats all they was good for using weapons but revenge was ours 6 weeks later we all went back up only this time there was more of use than them I can remember one of the hairy fairys getting is hair cut there must have been 8 of the skinheads had pinned him down and somebody used a big pair of hair cutting shears on him he finnished up with hardly any hair on him.We also had a visit from some of the darnall skinheads and they got stuck in I think that 4 of the motorbikes got wrecked.The police turned up but we had legged it down to the broughton inn so even to this day I dont know what had happened to the hairy fairy who had got his hair cut free of charge.We never went back there again.

Originally posted by gibbage

All the skins used to hang about on the balcony on flat street,and were known as the "showboat skins".

Anyone remember when a load of "casuals" came in the wop(82 I think) no one had come across this fashion before,but they caused mayhem,with the fighting spilling out of the club and on to

wellington st,they gave as good as they got and things ended up about even.

I do seem to remember this, hardly surprising as I was up on the door at that time. They came in in drips and drabs and made the fatal mistake of congregating at the far end of the place near the fire escape. When they kicked off and some of their mates were trying to get into the place we locked the doors. They had nowhere to go and so many headed up the fire escape into the hotel, the fight didn't spill out on to the street because as some of them were ejected we again locked the doors to stop a lot of irritated bikers folowing them. Unfortunately some bikers who were just coming down to the wap found themselves being jumped and it was only that they were so close to the entrance that they managed to get in and once in we again locked the doors and watched as they all ran off as the police arrived.

On a side note i had a friend who was a skin-head in the 60's he always used to complain at the namby-pamby skin-heads of the 80's who only seemed to be brave when in a group.

sound like a bunch of f------ idiots to me, but thats me???.:heyhey: :heyhey:

Originally posted by brooksy

sound like a bunch of f------ idiots to me, but thats me???.:heyhey: :heyhey:

How can you be an entire bunch of people brooksy? :huh::D

K x

i was one of the skins doin the chasing

:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

used to batter the hippies all over town:D :D

proper pussies

Originally posted by kirky

proper pussies

Why will no one on the forum surprised by that statement :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

proper pussies

Kirky, was that you and your mates who chased me from Barker's Pool to Pond Street following a concert by the Incredible String Band at the City Hall in the early 70s?

I've still got the scars. ;)

proper pussies

PEACE LOVERS I think the word is for hippies NOT proper pussies as you put it.

And I was one of those long haired people who was NOT a peace lover, so I hope it was you I smashed over the head with an empty Newcastle Brown bottle Xmas 1981 in the Peace Gardens following an unexpected (well not really) ambush.