Frehiwet Habesha, East African restaurant on Exchange St

Two of us went here last night & had a really lovely time. We arrived very late and to be honest, we were pushing it in terms of expecting to be served. However, the staff could not have been more welcoming & accommodating. It's just a small & basic venue but very clean & friendly.

We had a shared 'plate' of various lamb dishes & vegetarian sides, all of which were very tasty, beautifully spiced & seasoned. The lamb was tender not chewy & the the dishes were all different rather variations of the same thing. There was more than enough for the 2 of us and given we have healthy appetites, the fact we couldn't finish it all says a lot! We brought our own wine so the total bill came in at £20!! An absolute bargain!

I would highly recommend it. Please do not be put off by the location, it's well worth seeking out for a tasty, relaxed & enjoyable eating experience. x

Is there much choice for veggies in the way of mains?

There's plenty of choice on the veggie front! I love vegetarian food & will often opt for it on a menu despite being a meat-eater.

I didn't peruse the menu in minute detail because we were so late arriving & they were in essence, reopening the kitchen to serve us. However, from the once-over, there was plenty of veggie choices & the staff couldn't stress enough their willingness to accommodate whatever we wanted! x

Sounds cool. Reckon they would be ok with young kids? Used to love the Ethio-Cubana place on Arundel Gate.

Sounds cool. Reckon they would be ok with young kids? Used to love the Ethio-Cubana place on Arundel Gate.

I think they would be completely fine with kids. They don't have a website as yet but they are open 11am until 11pm, 7 days a week. You could always give them a call & ask. Their number is 0114 272 1186.

I used to go to Ethio-Cubana quite frequently and was sad to see it go. It was actually the reason I decided to give this place a go. I can honestly say, from the experience I had last Friday night, the food, portions & value for money are definitely on a par! I'm hopeful they will consistently meet that standard in the future.

Let me know how you get on if you do pay a visit! xx

Sounds like just our sort if thing!

just been for my lunch. made the wrong choice - this is definitely an evening meal place, unless you are hungry! i am totally stuffed and sleepy.

Had "awazay" which is a pretty spicy tasty lamb stew. because the "cutlery" is in fact enjera (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injera) you do end up with a fair bit of that.

wasnt a cheap lunch but very tasty and very filling! they have printed a new menu as well which is easy to read.

it probably is less suitable for someone in a hurry, there is a drelaxed vibe around service etc. that some might not find compatible with their western european lifestyles.

just been for my lunch. made the wrong choice - this is definitely an evening meal place, unless you are hungry! i am totally stuffed and sleepy.

Had "awazay" which is a pretty spicy tasty lamb stew. because the "cutlery" is in fact enjera (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Injera) you do end up with a fair bit of that.

wasnt a cheap lunch but very tasty and very filling! they have printed a new menu as well which is easy to read.

it probably is less suitable for someone in a hurry, there is a drelaxed vibe around service etc. that some might not find compatible with their western european lifestyles.

I take your point completely on this morrisminor. The food is very good & bountiful, with a terrific, relaxed attitude to providing it. However, that combination doesn't work well for a pressured working lunchtime fix, and/ or ( as you mentioned) western, cultural attitudes to such an approach of service.

Maybe they need to look at smaller, express lunchtime deals with the option of phoning to pre-order. That would work a treat in an ideal world but I fear the demand to make it worth their while might not suffice. :0(

Yeah, injera is , errrr, filling!

I am interested in trying this place.

Where is the best place to park? I noticed a small car park on the corner of exchange street, is this public / pay and display?

not sure what that car park is tbh. i dont think it has any barriers, nor are there any ticket machines either. there are the "private land- you will be clamped" type notices but there is plenty of parking going on. i dont know if it is agreed with market traders or what. there is of course Q Park right opposite (entrance off broad st on way to Ponds Forge), but you may not wish to pay the prices. good car park though! especiually in terms of safety. out of the Q park exit you just turn left, then left at the corner and you are there.

Walked past this place the other night on a Tramlines wander. Is it still open?