Iconic Sheffield "stores"

I thought it was just called "Big Brown" I got my first set of "proper" darts from there when we used to play darts in the Highcliffe tap room.

Favourites for Levis,Loon Pants,Afghan coats,scoop neck T-shirts were South Sea Bubble,Western Jean Company,Pippys,upstairs at Virgin Records and Sexy Rexy.Strangely my first pair of Levis came from Roberts Brothers and they always had loads of Ben Shermans in the (proper) January sales.Do you remember the smell of brand new Levis? And then putting them on,stiff as a board(ooo-er)and having to sit in the bath with them on to soften them up and shrink them.I tried to smell a pair of Levis in Coles the other day but the OH said people would think I was weird! I don't think they smell the same now anyway.

Tramps on King Street were also good for jeans and shirts etc

Schofields,now the big Argos

Jean Genie,Fargate

Eyres,The Moor

American Diner? Fargate used to buy Coke Floats there mmmm

The Attic Sandwich Shop next to Rebina shoes

Tammys near Castle Market

C & A now Primark

Rackhams now TJ Hughes

Colvins just past the Peace Gardens

Discount Beauty on Cambridge St

What was the shop called downstairs in Chelsea Girl thet used to sell records?? i can remember buying Reo Speedwagon there and Hall and Oate........ aarrrhhh i'm sooo old!!!

Can anyone please tell me which shop on Chapel Walk is where the Sidewalk cafe was situated?

Can anyone please tell me which shop on Chapel Walk is where the Sidewalk cafe was situated?

Must be Limeys (22 Chapel Walk).

do the old arcades count?

there was one on the walkway overlooking pond street, forgot its name now, used to play a 3d hologram game in there

there was also storeys, a bit down from where redgates used to be...just left of the moor.

near where redgates was i also remember buying my first atari st from a computer shop.

then theres the chippies...i also loved the one on the walkway overlooking pond street, and the one that was just off devonshire street (used to talk to the guy a bit)

do the old arcades count?
If so, then the Cambridge Arcade was a real "gem". It went from Barney Goodman's in Pinstone Street through to Union Street, and it was a crime to demolish it in 1973. I suppose it's only us old-timers who remember it...:(

If so, then the Cambridge Arcade was a real "gem". It went from Barney Goodman's in Pinstone Street through to Union Street, and it was a crime to demolish it in 1973. I suppose it's only us old-timers who remember it...:(

At first,I thought he meant that kind of arcade,but I think he meant amusement arcades!

I agree though,it was one of the worst bits of civic vandalism to demolish such arcades.Towns and cities that retained their's (Norwich and Harrogate spring to mind) have retained real treasures of shopping history.

oh yeah sorry i meant gaming arcades

oh yeah sorry i meant gaming arcades

I wonder if any Arcades had Arcades in them?

....it was one of the worst bits of civic vandalism to demolish such arcades.Towns and cities that retained their's (Norwich and Harrogate spring to mind) have retained real treasures of shopping history.

Quite right. The late J.B. Priestley was furious when Bradford Council allowed the Swan Arcade (the only one in the city) to be demolished and replaced by the ugly Arndale House. Nearby, L**ds has the Victoria Arcade and the County Arcade, but the only one Sheffield had was demolished by permission of the Philistines in the Town Hall. :mad:

Big Brown-remember that sports shop well! Managed by Paul Leadbetter who played in Wednesday reserves and then Matlock Town in about 1970. I worked on Saturdays at his fruit & veg shop-his previous venture.