Page Hall Shops - History

:-) ...as I remember it, in the sixties there was the chemist on the corner of Bolsover Road East ('little Bolsover'), then Jack Asher's Butchers, a ladies hairdressers, Bill Beever's Motorbike Shop (with the dirty photos and magazines in the window..), Siddall's Grocers, Jim Kennington's Butchers, a Tobacconist, Brian Barstows Newsagents, The Pork Butchers, BuyWise Supermarket then another grocers and a launderette.

Opposite, on the other side of Page Hall Road there was a big second hand place, another newsagents, a bank and over on the other side of Firth Park Road, McGreggor's which was a spooky (I thought) 'corner shop type shop' on the corner of Idsworth Rd.

Anybody remember anything else or different?

I used to work at Jim's Butchers after school and on Saturdays (that would have been about 1970/71) and before that I was a paperboy for Brian Barstow for 16 shillings per week in about 1967/68. My mom also worked at the tobacconists for awhile around 1970-ish. :-)

I remember Popes DIY shop, Patnicks junk shop, newsagent, chemist, butchers, bank and the old picture house/dance hall.

Wasn't there an electrical shop called E. Socket or was that further up.?

There was also Idsworth Road Working Mens Club opposite the old cinema up on Idsworth.

Wasn't there an electrical shop called E. Socket or was that further up.?

Socket's shop was on Owler lane in Fir Vale near the traffic lights. I believe they only gave it up a couple of years ago.

Does anyone remember the 'surgery' by the bus stop on Firth Park road ? Old Dr. (Paddy) Walsh was our doctor there. He was a doctor of the old Irish school - a bottle of whisky and a packet of fags in the desk drawer and always time for a chat.

I think the pork butcher's on PH road was one of the Friedrich family off the Wicker...and Frankie you forgot the NatWest bank. The manager there had me on the carpet for being £5.00 overdrawn :o

I remember the surgery - our doctor was Dr Pettigrew and later Dr Ridgeway. Also the two dentists nearby on Firth Park Road - Allen and McGee.

Yes the Pork Butchers I remember now as Friedrich's..

I forgot the bank as I never had £5 - ten bob maybe! :-P

There was also the Midland bank on the opposite corner, and a couple of shops between that and Patnick's 'Junkorama' - i think one of them was a sweet shop but can't remember the other...perhaps a haberdasher ? And a little greengrocer's shop next to the laundrette - poky little shop with just a few shelves inside and a few crates of stuff outside - kept by a little old guy who still wore those old shirts without a collar.

Over on the Pope's / Patnick's side of Page Hall Road was there also a barbershop?

The barbers was the corner of Hindehouse and PH - on the lower side opposite Pope's DIY.

Just remembered the bakery on the corner of Selby road and Hindehouse - was that Greggs original bakery ? - it was beutiful bread in the 70s.

could the bakery be no1 bakery. i remember the doctors it was dr mahmood when i went there. i used do paper rounds at the the paper shop when it was owned by brian underwood

I am replying to this with my husbands log in, I worked at buy wise for 3 years back in 1968-1971, I lived on the flower estate so used to walk down Hindhouse lane & then back again what a hill to walk up, I couldn't do it now, me & the girls I worked with used to go to the cannon pub at lunchtime. :D

I remember the drs, Dr Pettigrew was my Dr also. I remember Mcgreggors shop, was always being sent there when we ran out of anything but as for butchers at pagehall I remember Kramers or Cramers, not sure how it was spelt, used to get bread cakes from there as well as bacon, must have been the pork butchers in that case. One thing I do know about cramers is that my mom went all the way home, as I remember must have been a good 15 minutes walk, maybe more, before she remembered she had left me in my pram outside cramers!! couldnt do that nowadays, I would have been long gone, obviously no one wanted me then....story of my life!! sob sob!!