Carrying a knife

ive just seen on tv that carrying a knife that locks is illegal and a straightforward prosecution. now my work trousers have some pockets that are almost like a built in work belt and theres that many pockets i forget whats in which pocket. on most days i have at least my pen, a marker and a stanley knife in those pockets, and i regularly forget to take them out to come home. its never something ive given much thought to but after seeing this on tv im a bit worried! could i get done for this or would i have a legitimate excuse?

I believe the law states less than 3 inch blade and having a reasonable excuse for having on your person, oh, no locking blades either.

ive just seen on tv that carrying a knife that locks is illegal and a straightforward prosecution. now my work trousers have some pockets that are almost like a built in work belt and theres that many pockets i forget whats in which pocket. on most days i have at least my pen, a marker and a stanley knife in those pockets, and i regularly forget to take them out to come home. its never something ive given much thought to but after seeing this on tv im a bit worried! could i get done for this or would i have a legitimate excuse?

Yes you would - your Stanley knife is a tool of your trade and as such you're perfectly entitled to carry it.

As far as I know no working man has ever been nicked for carrying the tools of his trade.

I believe the law states less than 3 inch blade and having a reasonable excuse for having on your person, oh, no locking blades either.

stanley knives sort of lock the blade :P

Yes you would - your Stanley knife is a tool of your trade and as such you're perfectly entitled to carry it.

As far as I know no working man has ever been nicked for carrying the tools of his trade.

its just hassle having to go through the rigmorole of proving it

If carrying a knife which locks is illegal then the tiny blade on my keyring will probably be illegal too, which is just a touch on the daft side. It's just under an inch long and is attached to a teeny weeny Leatherman.

I would imagine that if you use a knife for work and you're travelling to or from work then you've got a good excuse for carrying it, as long as you aren't also travelling tooled up with a burglary kit or carrying rope, gaff tape and condoms etc.

its just hassle having to go through the rigmorole of proving it

I carry an Opinel #7 everytime i head out hiking/camping, it's razor sharp and locks. :hihi:

Luckily for me though, it's rare to see a copper up Kinder. :D

or carrying rope, gaff tape and condoms etc.

youve been thinking about this a little too much now meds :o

It is perfectly acceptable to carry a knife if you have a reasonable excuse. If I have a six inch woodsman knife on me whilst I'm going to the train station to catch a train to go hiking that's fine. If I'm carrying it into a nightclub that isnt.

Similarly if you have just bought one and are on teh way home from the shop with it, or you are a chef and are going to work with your knife roll, or you are a carpet fitter, etc. All of these are perfectly reasonable reasons.

It is perfectly acceptable to carry a knife if you have a reasonable excuse. If I have a six inch woodsman knife on me whilst I'm going to the train station to catch a train to go hiking that's fine. If I'm carrying it into a nightclub that isnt.

Similarly if you have just bought one and are on teh way home from the shop with it, or you are a chef and are going to work with your knife roll, or you are a carpet fitter, etc. All of these are perfectly reasonable reasons.

but as i said the hassle is in proving what your doing is ok with it.

but as i said the hassle is in proving what your doing is ok with it.

I was actually arrested and fined for carrying a knife, under very dodgy circumstances.

I was allowed in the local school yard at night to set up and use my telescope, in with my kit was a small sheath knife, amongst numerous lenses, rolls of film etc.

The police were out with the helicopter hunting a burglar, on searching the school grounds i was attacked by a police dog causing my scope and camera to be knocked over and damaged, around 5 or 6 other police turned up too, the dog handler seemed very apologetic, until i asked for his details as i wanted to claim for damage to my gear, soon as i mentioned it they went through my kit, found the small knife and threw me into a van.

In court i was fined £30 an was told i had no right to compensation as the items were damaged during a rightful arrest, or words to that effect.

So, do try to be nice to any officer who should question you. :suspect:

Btw, i've never even had a parking/speeding fine etc etc.