Building regulations

Im thinking of buying a house which is over 3 levels with a garage at the base of the building

would I need planing permission to convert the garage to a further bedroom?

a bit of googling reveals

C&P

Planning permission is not usually required to convert your garage into additional living space for your home, providing the work is internal and does not involve enlarging the building. ... A condition attached to a planning permission may also require that the garage remain as a parking space.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/25/garage_conversion

Building Regulations and Planning Permission are two separate things. You will almost certainly need the first. You may not need Planning as it should come under permitted development but you ought to have a chat with Building Control at the Town Hall.

Posts have been removed.

If you dont have anything helpful to say, please dont bother posting.

Thank you.

hi suzy

not sure if youve sorted this yet but i had my internal single garage converted this year. had it divided into two, so the back bit is storage, front bit is an office. replaced garage door with brick and window.

you wont need full blown planning permission as you wont be extending the existing boundary of your house so its just internal changes. but you will need building regs sign off. This costs between £180-£400 ish depending on what you are doing.It sounda lot for basically a piece of paper at the end of it, but without that if you ever come to sell the property youll have a nightmare if you havent had it signed off properly.

Best thing to do is get a couple of builders round to look and quote and if you are happy discuss with them about how they want to handle building regs. some builders will handle it all on your behalf, i did it myself, its just a case of organising the inspection visits really.

Once you have your builder, ring the building office and tell them what you plan to do and what they need from you. they were really helpful when i spoke to them. youll need to give them atleast 48hours notice before work starts, they like to make an initial visit to go over what your going to do. Then theyll usually come back roughly half way through and then at the end to do a final sign off.

good luck, and if you need any more advice just ask.

contact details for bulding control office are:

0114 273 4168

Email: buildingcontrol@sheffield.gov.uk

Web: http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/buildingcontrol

cheers

Ted