Lodge Moor - a very specific question!

Hi all!

Sorry to post such a highly specific question on here but when it comes to Sheffield I can't think a better source of information!

So the long and short of it is, Im hoping to move out of the city centre in the next few months, and I'm wanting to get a bit of piece and quiet. With that in mind, I was looking at renting a apartment in Lodge Moor, particularly looking at the hospital redevelopment. I was wondering if anyone had lived there, or around there and knew what it was like in terms of the type of people who live around there, is it nice, and is it quiet? On another note if anyone can recommend another area of the city thats nice and peaceful any suggestions are appreciated!

Many thanks all :)

You'll find it much colder up that end of Lodge Moor in the winter months and you'll probably need a car.

There's not much in walking distance of that development so it does feel rather isolated which is why rents are rather affordable.

Have you considered Ranmoor, Nethergreen, or Broomhill?

You'll find it much colder up that end of Lodge Moor in the winter months and you'll probably need a car.

There's not much in walking distance of that development so it does feel rather isolated which is why rents are rather affordable.

Have you considered Ranmoor, Nethergreen, or Broomhill?

Have friends who live there, colder in winter it definitely is. The 51 bus goes to the development and has a decent service, so you wouldn't need a car. Nice community. Walk to local pubs, walk to nice local park or spider park. Local shops are walkable too. No supermarket but still fine. Prices are very high im after a 2000+ sq ft house for our family and they start at £600,000. Only other negative is the travellers camp half mile down the road. They don't cause much issues for locals except the odd mini motorbike on the main road. Lovely countryside walks very peaceful.

Broomhill is lovely but definitely not quiet. Ranmoor and nethergreen are quiet.

At the other end of the 51 is Charnock. Definitely warmer in winter, house prices are less than half the price of Lodge moor. The countryside is still pretty alright, there are a few walks to be taken starting from the estate or park. A few more shops in walkable distance such as a large co-op or a small Sainsbury. Also has a tram stop outside of co-op that takes you to town or Crystal Peaks, but the 51 is still pretty good. The area is fairly quiet and the people are friendly.

Thanks for the advice guys, I will definitely look into those other areas too! Been living in the very CC for a good while now and looking forward to a bit of piece and quiet, getting away from the students (nice but noisy god bless em!) and junkies (as before but without the nice). :hihi:

nice travellers site on the doorstep not seen this mentioned

From all that I've read about modern apartments peace and quiet is the last thing you can guarantee. Even if you have a single penthouse apartment you are still going to hear noise from the people below you together with the noise of lifts and echoing communal spaces.

If anyone can disabuse me of this notion then I'd be delighted to know where.

My own very specific question about Lodge Moor is why anyone in their right mind would ever want to live there? It has no amenities apart from about 3 shops. The Shiny Sheff is dreadful and always has been. It's too far out of town and is frankly just dull.

The same goes for Fulwood next door really though, which despite having loads of potential wealthy customers nearby does not even have a pub, restaurant or cafe. Naff all! I don't get why anyone would live there.

My own very specific question about Lodge Moor is why anyone in their right mind would ever want to live there? It has no amenities apart from about 3 shops. The Shiny Sheff is dreadful and always has been. It's too far out of town and is frankly just dull.

The same goes for Fulwood next door really though, which despite having loads of potential wealthy customers nearby does not even have a pub, restaurant or cafe. Naff all! I don't get why anyone would live there.

Does that add anything to a discussion about housing at Lodge Moor? or did you just have to say it?like so many on this internet seem to do.....

Think and then Type old pal ;)

..........Forge Dam Cafe, Fulwood?.............wealthy customers maybe like to stay at home and eat good food and drink fine wine in quieter surroundings and not pay inflated prices for the same!.............after all that's probably how some got wealthy......saving money! Edited by mossdog

Well thanks for the sarky response and tearing me down whilst contributing nothing. Although I think I explained pretty well why I wanted to be there, peace, quiet and calm. Give me the dullards any day.

Fulwood isn't allowed to have any pubs. It's an old by-law because the village was established by nonconformists.

But none of it is really more than a 15 minute walk from the Rising Sun and Ranmoor pubs

The big pluses of Lodge Moor/Fulwood are the big houses, good schools, low crime/anti-social behaviour, car parking and access to the countryside (Stanage Edge via Redmires is a 5 minutes drive plus a 15 minute walk)

Well thanks for the sarky response and tearing me down whilst contributing nothing. Although I think I explained pretty well why I wanted to be there, peace, quiet and calm. Give me the dullards any day.
............ask him where he lives that must be so exciting!