Places for Christmas dinner

Ah I heard its had a bit of a change I want to try it I think its great value

Is there a 'quality' Restaurant in Sheffield, serving traditional Christmas Dinners (Lunches) that's open on Christmas Day? One you could honestly recommend?

I'm not looking for a 'two for one burger' or budget type of meal, I'm wanting summat a bit more refined. :hihi:

I paid over a hundred quid in Whitby about 10 years ago for very good quality food and it was on the day itself.

I'd love to find summat of similar quality in Sheff (I know it will be more than £100, but we both want to escape the shopping, cooking and clearing up this year and that's worth paying good money for.

It also keeps the family away ..... :)

Is there a 'quality' Restaurant in Sheffield, serving traditional Christmas Dinners (Lunches) that's open on Christmas Day? One you could honestly recommend?

I'm not looking for a 'two for one burger' or budget type of meal, I'm wanting summat a bit more refined. :hihi:

I paid over a hundred quid in Whitby about 10 years ago for very good quality food and it was on the day itself.

I'd love to find summat of similar quality in Sheff (I know it will be more than £100, but we both want to escape the shopping, cooking and clearing up this year and that's worth paying good money for.

It also keeps the family away ..... :)

You might struggle to find a quality restaurant in Sheffield, full stop! ;) No, that's a bit harsh, there are a few, but not so many. And as for finding one that does lunch on Christmas Day, I think you'll be lucky tbh.

There's the usual "carvery" chain pub things, like some have already mentioned. Toby Inns, Crown Carveries and the like. Then there's the Vintage Inn chain, like Dore Moor Inn and Fox House. I don't know if they are open on Christmas Day but you'll get pleasant surroundings and reasonably good food.

I'd look at further afield if I were you. I don't know if any of the following are open on Christmas Day, but they are all very nice settings...

Hassop Hall, Hassop, Near Bakewell.

Cavendish Hotel, Baslow.

George Hotel, Hathersage.

Riverside, Ashford in the Water, near Bakewell.

Haddon Hall,near Bakewell.

Maynard Arms, Grindleford.

Old Vicarage, Ridgeway, Near Sheffield.

Or you could try some upper end dining pubs..

Devonshire Arms, Beeley, Near Chatsworth.

Plough, Hathersage.

The Bear, near Alderwasley, Derbyshire.

Going in the other direction, north of Sheffield...

Beatson House, Cawthorne, near Barnsley.

The Old Post Office, Haigh, near Barnsley. (Fantastic value - great steaks!)

The 3 Acres, Shelley, near Huddersfield.

The Kaye Arms, Grange Moor, near Huddersfield.

Another option would be to jump on a train to Manchester and go to one of the many top restaurants there.

Australasia

Tattu

Hawksmoor

Another option would be to rent a little cottage somewhere in the countryside and get away from it all.

Cheers DT, that's quite a good list you've given.

To be fair, I'm anxious about paying quite a bit for the food (I'm not a good earner) so the thought of a long distance Taxi or staying over fills me with severe trepidation.

I will consider it though, count the available budget and make my mind up. Thanks!

I'm still open to ideas nearer to home though, if anyone else has any solutions.

Another option would be to jump on a train to Manchester and go to one of the many top restaurants there

Trains don't run on Christmas Day.

The Broadfield on Abbeydale Rd are advertising & the food is considered good throughout the rest of the year.

If you're booking anywhere, I'd check TripAdvisor first & go with the majority of views.

The Broadfield on Abbeydale Rd are advertising & the food is considered good throughout the rest of the year.

If you're booking anywhere, I'd check TripAdvisor first & go with the majority of views.

Not a bad shout that. I like the Broadfield. Food is standard pub fare, but it's a good bustling atmosphere and the beer and drinks are great!.

I'd be a bit wary of TripAdvisor though. I use it myself, but it's open to "gaming". i.e. folks with a vested interest posting biased reports to get business. Have a look at the number of reviews someone has posted before believing what they've wrote. If they have only a few reviews and are waxing lyrical about a place - beware! I usually find, (in a big city), that the TripAdvisor reviews that are somewhere between 10th and 20th are probably better than the top 10.

If they have only a few reviews and are waxing lyrical about a place - beware!

And conversely don't be put off by one or two terrible reviews that go against the flow of the rest of the reviews if the reviews are generally good. Rival businesses have been known to post bad reviews on Trip Advisor.

And conversely don't be put off by one or two terrible reviews that go against the flow of the rest of the reviews if the reviews are generally good. Rival businesses have been known to post bad reviews on Trip Advisor.

kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

True.

Try El Paso been twice on Christmas Day can recommend

Try El Paso been twice on Christmas Day can recommend

A Mexican / Italian mix is weird on a normal day of the year. How does that even work?

But for Xmas dinner?